Does This Request Sound Fishy To Anyone Else Besides Me?

Decorating By TheCornerBakery Updated 28 Jan 2010 , 7:35pm by KASCARLETT

TheCornerBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCornerBakery Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 17

Hey Everyone,
I received a strange request a couple of days ago which I have posted below. Has anyone heard of a scam like this being done around the country? If so, how does it work? The thing that is tipping me off is the $950 shipping fee that the shipping company is surposely giving me

Thanks for all that reply

Hello

Thanks for the swift reply to my order request and your concern as well, i want you to know that am very grateful, I will like you to bake me 5teir's of cake, 3 in chocolate cake and 2 in strawberry cake. the filling should be Butter cream and Raspberry, Chocolate Mousse and it should be decorated with roses as seen in the picture i attached ( in the picture what you see on the side of the cake is a polka dot, and i will like the color of the polka dot to be pink color). And you should also have the cake covered in fondant or butter cream to feed 250 people ( I believe the fondant should make the journey), let inscription be writing on one of the cake as *Bill Wed Kimberly* and i want you to packaged it in a different cake boxes for pick up once its ready.

I want the cake to be ready for pick up time 11 o clock A.M 19th of February 2009. and the shipper will be coming to pick them up for delivery to my wedding reception and i don't want you to be worried about the safety delivery of the cake. Regarding the shipping, I have a shipping agent who will be taking good care of the delivery consignments.. The Shipping company will come for the pickup arrangement of the Cake at your location for the pick up date and time. And as I have said, you dont have anything to worry about on the shipping of the cake it will be well secured and in a good condition on arriving the location of my wedding reception, the shipper will be coming with there refrigerator Van for the pick up and it will be ship under the fragile shipping insurance scheme,So I want you to calculate for me what will be the total cost of the order the decoration,tax if included and also I want you to also add $950 the cost of the pick up and the shipping, so once I have your reply for the total i will remit my credit card for you to charge for the total costso that you can have the order book right away. And once you have the order in progress, I will provide you the shipper information, and they will be the one you will give the $950 for the pick up and the shipping to enable the pick.

I will be waiting to have your reply for the total cost.

Thanks and God bless.
Bill.

16 replies
butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 17

fishy isn't even the word, run!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 17

It's an old scam. They pay you the cost of the cake and the shipping, with an invalid check or credit card, then you pull REAL money from your account to pay the shipper. By the time you find out their payment is no good, you're out the $950 AND the bounced check fees AND whatever money you were going to make.

Pretty much anytime they offer to send a refrigerated truck AND want to pay you so YOU can pay the shipper .... just hit delete and move on.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 17

I've seen scams like that, different cake, same concept. I would say just stop contact and don't give him any of your info. IT sounds extremely fishy to me.

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 17

Sounds like the "Happy married couple" scam to me!

keipee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keipee Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 17

Sounds very odd. Who would pay $950.00 just to have a cake delivered?

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 17

definitly very fishy! Noticed that they have the date wrong "19th of February 2009" you would think that if you were getting married you would know that your getting married in 2010 not 2009.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 17

Yeah, it's a scam.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 17

Now I wonder who the "shipper and refrigerated truck" people are? Are those honest carriers like UPS or something like that getting scammed too or are those the crooks part of the scam that are going to show up at your doorstep? That adds to the gravity of the situation if you do it....I mean the scam only works if you actually give the money to someone right?

TheCornerBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCornerBakery Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 17

Just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone who took the time to write on my post.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 17

This is almost identical to all the automobile scams on Craigslist.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 17

Something like this happened to my Mom not too long ago. When she got the credit card numbers, she ran them immediately, and of course they didn't go through. She e-mailed the guy back and stated that she wouldn't do anything until she had CC numbers that went through. She also told him that she needed the billing address for the card as well. When he sent her an address, she googled it and found that it was an interior designer in a nearby town. She called the interior designer, gave them the name from the e-mail, and they said that they'd never heard of that person before. My Mom isn't very technology savvy, but I was proud of her for Googling the address and calling them.

Don't get suckered in by this scam. Eventually, they will give up on it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 17

The scammers really do like their strawberry cake, too!

I've been getting similar emails recently but they're directed at wedding planners.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:11pm
post #14 of 17

I got the exact same email last week, Bill wed Kimberely. They are a big scam, I even got one when I was selling a couch on ebay. Run, run run

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:20pm
post #15 of 17

I got one like this, not for cake.......I also sell Avon, and I got an email that they wanted to place an Avon order for like 100 of this and 100 of that, and so and so will be sent to pick up........etc...etc..........SCAM all the way..................delete, delete, delete............................................

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:29pm
post #16 of 17

Wow, these people. dont waste your time.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:35pm
post #17 of 17

I received my first scam email sorta like this the other day. Couldn't hit the delete button fast enough! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%