Fondant Cracking Prevention

Decorating By princesitarita Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 1:37am by princesitarita

princesitarita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesitarita Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:04am
post #1 of 18

Hi Cakies!

My question of the day is how do I prevent my fondant from cracking. I made 2 cakes this weekend and the fondant cracked on the edges...one was a 12" round and the other a 12" square. I know of course the fondant must've been dry, but how do I know that / prevent that from happening.

Thanks!

17 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:08am
post #2 of 18

if you can tell it's going to be dry you can either add more glucose or crisco. the only preventable measures I know is to not have dry fondant from the get go. Does this happen all the time or is it a first. Sometimes our weather plays into that as well.

princesitarita Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:13am
post #3 of 18

First time...I don't really work with fondant or make cakes too often in general. I've been in popular demand recently which is great because I want to start my own business. I'm pretty much all self-taught with the 2 Wilton courses under my belt. This was also the first time I've made cakes this large. Also, I had to dye 5lb of fondant a teal color...not too dark thank goodness. What is the proper way to dye a large amount of fondant? Like should I dye it all together or in separate pieces.

LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:19am
post #4 of 18

Seeing as how you just said Wiltons. I'm gonna assume you used their fondant, just guessing. I suggest you try MAcsmom recipe for Marshmallow fondant or MMF and you can add the color to the meltd marshmallows to make it easier to color.

princesitarita Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:28am
post #5 of 18

I actually used to use Wilton but it is too hard to work with. I've been using Satin Ice a lot now.

LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:39am
post #6 of 18

I've never used it, but Satin Ice is a really good brand. I can't answer why it cracked. I can say add a little shortening to it to make it softer. Not everyone gets the same results with fondant. You have to find one that works for you. Weather is a definet factor on how fondant can come out. I tend to color fondant all at the same time. Some color it piece by piece, but you will still end up having to knead the entire amount to get a consistent solid color for the whole fondant. I'm sure more Satin Ice users will come along to give better information on working with Satin Ice. HTH

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:44am
post #7 of 18

Interested to hear what others say about this. I've been using Satin Ice lately, too, and my last two cakes have had cracks at the top edge. I work quickly, so I dont' think that it's drying out from me leaving it sitting around too long or anything...

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:13am
post #8 of 18

Satin Ice cracking (or even that leather like look) are common problems. You can try adding a little glycerin if it feels too dry to begin with (work it in before rolling). I've never heard of adding glucose...its so sticky...hmm. Problem with SI is that it doesnt allow a good amount of time before it starts to dry.

I've used satin ice a lot and will be switching to Fondarific. I talked with the owners (that make it) and they said that Charm City Cakes (Ace of Cakes) has switched over to them as well (they used to use Satin Ice).
Benefits of Fondarific:
- Doesnt take as much to cover cakes
- doesnt crack like Satin Ice
- doesnt dry so fast like SI

A couple of "ho-hums":
- Since it has different drying properties of Fondarific turned to gumpaste is not the best to choose if you need a fast drying time plus from what I hear it doesnt dry as hard for modeling...so I will continue to use SI for changing into gumpaste (with Tylose Powder)

- I wish it was the same price as Satin Ice.
- white bc flavor of Fondarific tastes great...but some dont think the Vanilla one is as good.

Solution to cracking Satin Ice:
- Make a batch of crusting bc and use it to "spackle" your cracks. RI works too even better than bc IMO.

princesitarita Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:16am
post #9 of 18

wrightway...great insight! thank you!! just one question...what does imo mean?

thanks!

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:48am
post #10 of 18

Interesting, thanks for the Satin Ice info! It was the first non-Wilton, non-scratch brand I tried, mostly because it was fairly affordable and I knew the name. I'm interested in trying others at a similar price point, but worried they won't taste good... I often hear that Satin Ice tastes best (other than the higher end Fondarific or Chocopan).

I don't get the leather look with white Satin Ice but it happens super fast with the black.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:57am
post #11 of 18

IMO - in my opinion

Butterfly325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly325 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:57am
post #12 of 18

I make my own fondant, but I use Satin Ice when I need black or red (those are the colors I have trouble reaching if I dye it myself). I haven't had any trouble with mine cracking but I do use a thin layer of shortening to roll mine out instead of powdered sugar. I guess that's would could be keeping mine from cracking.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:19am
post #13 of 18

If this is your first really large cake to fondant, it might just be that you need some practice in handling larger sheets of fondant. The sheer weight of it will tend to cause weighing down off the sides, and hence cracking, so its best to support the fondant well as you are applying it. I also add glycerin if the fondant is drying out too quickly.

As to colouring large batches, I tend to colour a fist-sized wad of fondant a very dark version of the shade I want, and then work THAT into white fondant. I find this much easier to get a consistent result. ANd always make enough of the colour you need because it is really hard to match fondant when you are running a bit short!!

wrightway777 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:09pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesitarita

wrightway...great insight! thank you!! just one question...what does imo mean?

thanks!

Fyi for future ref: see those small dots underneath some of the acronyms? Mouse over those and a small pop up on this site will tell you what they stand for.

Just fyi if any of you have ACE of Cakes Tivoed or DVRed the episode where they switch from SI to Fondarific is the when they did the "Lost" cake for the crew in Hawaii I believe. If my memory serves me correctly, they briefly talk about the cracking of SI.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:24pm
post #15 of 18

When I color large amounts of fondant I break it down to smaller amounts, color them then mix them all together. It makes it easier on my hands.

If it is cracking around the top edges it also sounds like it is stretching. After you first cover the cake, before you start smoothing, trim off the excess hanging below the cake board. I usually leave about an half inch to an inch and trim the rest. Fondant is heavy and when you have alot hanging doing the sides it will pull and stretch it.

princesitarita Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:03pm
post #16 of 18

here's the clip i found of fondarific...duff says something within the first minute about it

wrightway777 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:22am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesitarita

here's the clip i found of fondarific...duff says something within the first minute about it

you rock! Thanks for finding that. That reminded me of the cool trick with the blow torch to get rid of bubbles. Ahh another reason to use my torch.

princesitarita Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:37am
post #18 of 18

yeah i liked that idea too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%