Crooked Tiers Cake Stand

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 11 Apr 2013 , 1:26pm by nickbrin

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 32

I'm sorry, I know there are threads and websites on this topic but I just got my first order for a cake for which I'll need the type of stand with a center support and then the ability to make one tier "topsy".

All the tiers will be normal...but one tier, the second from the bottom, will be a 3D pumpkin and will be at an angle. So I guess I need one of those stands that you can put a crooked tier on...but I just need to be directed to a site.

I found some center stands on petal craft but they said they don't have any angled ones yet...but are developing one for sale later in the year.

Thanks!

31 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 32

is it caljavaonline.com

edit to say that it's under cake study

Kitagrl Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 32

Thanks...

I found it...but.... I wonder if there is a way to make just ONE tier crooked, or if I will just have to build it somehow myself?

I know the ones on Petal Craft is just a stand with a center pole and it looks like you stack the cakes however you like...so wondering if maybe their crooked one they are working on will be similar?

Or could I take a center pole one, and then construct my own slanted plate???

cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 32

What about the wedge method? I am not familiar with it but I have seen it somewhere on here.

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:06am
post #5 of 32

i bought one of the caddy wampus stands from caljava it cost about 120.00 and my dad made me one for just under 15.00 bucks. the round one is the one i bought and the square one is the one my dad made. i love my daddy.[code:1:747d882674][/code:1:747d882674]
LL

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:17am
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly101

i bought one of the caddy wampus stands from caljava it cost about 120.00 and my dad made me one for just under 15.00 bucks. the round one is the one i bought and the square one is the one my dad made. i love my daddy.Code:

Wow I would love any instructions for the stand your Dad made!!! Did he tell you how he made it?

Kitagrl Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:19am
post #7 of 32

I see its mostly PVC...where do you get the plates and stuff?

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:49am
post #8 of 32

Very cool stand!
I always just use a wood base with a dowel all the way up. Then I have hubby cut a hole in the center of each plate and I slide them down. I dowel all the cakes like normal and use the wedge method. Works well...but, it definitely take practice.

Again...love the stand that your dad made!

Kitagrl Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:51am
post #9 of 32

What's the wedge method? Whatever it is, I don't suppose it would work with a 3D pumpkin?

shelly-101 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:01am
post #10 of 32

i used the wedge method on this cake. it is Styrofoam rounds cut at a slant.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1492835.html

shelly-101 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:05am
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

my dad got every thing from the home depot to make the stand. i was not with him when he bought everything so i am not really sure what the boards are made of but i can ask him tomorrow when i see him and pm you if you would like.

Kitagrl Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:22am
post #13 of 32
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

my dad got every thing from the home depot to make the stand. i was not with him when he bought everything so i am not really sure what the boards are made of but i can ask him tomorrow when i see him and pm you if you would like.

I would really appreciate any information you can give me, thank you so much. thumbs_up.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:26am
post #14 of 32
Kitagrl Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:43am
post #15 of 32

I may be able to do it the sugarshack way if she will let me put fall florals in there but the way she sketched it, she wants it more "suspended" looking...

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:04am
post #16 of 32

Shelly your dad is awesome! I would also like to know more about how he made the stand. I would love to have my hubby make something like this for me. One question: how do you get the cakes on them? I sure they come apart, but do you cake a hole the same size as the pipes in the cakes first and then just slide the cakes down the pipes??

shelly-101 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:20am
post #17 of 32

yes i use a round cutter about the same diameter as the pvc maybe a little bigger and the cakes just slide over the poles.

shelly-101 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:30am
post #18 of 32

i will get some more info from my dad tomorrow on how he did everything and what everything is made from and let every one know tomorrow.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:34am
post #19 of 32
Quote:

i will get some more info from my dad tomorrow on how he did everything and what everything is made from and let every one know tomorrow.

thanks i appreciate it icon_smile.gif

shelly-101 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 3:37am
post #20 of 32

here are my cakes done with the stand haven't gotten the chance to use the square one yet. just to give you all some ideas on what you can do

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1511348.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1467420.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1323357.html

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:16am
post #21 of 32

I love the cakes you have done with the stand. I would also like to have info. on how your dad made those.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:47pm
post #22 of 32

This is such a cool effect

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:42pm
post #23 of 32

Thanks shelly101
I would love any information you have to share. That is very kind of you!

Jennzoe333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennzoe333 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:12pm
post #24 of 32

yes! Please do share how this stand was made! Your Dad ROcKS!!!

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm
post #25 of 32
Quote:

here are my cakes done with the stand haven't gotten the chance to use the square one yet. just to give you all some ideas on what you can do

All your cakes are beautiful, your dad did an excellant job on the stand I like to know how he did it maybe my dh can learn a few points from your dad
icon_smile.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1511348.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1467420.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1323357.html

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:06pm
post #26 of 32

Saw your middle cake on Cake Wrecks Sunday Sweets--it was attributed to "Cakes by Roselyn"--is that you also?? Congratulations!!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:17pm
post #27 of 32

Yes I saw the pink shower cake on CW also, loved it thumbs_up.gif
Are the boards reusable ?
I'm wondering if you could make the pvc support and then use foam board for the cake to sit on?
I'm going to save me a spot on this thread so I can see what you hear from your dad icon_biggrin.gif

shelly-101 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:14pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem

Saw your middle cake on Cake Wrecks Sunday Sweets--it was attributed to "Cakes by Roselyn"--is that you also?? Congratulations!!

no I did not know my cake was on cake wrecks i will have to check it out.
yes i have a flicker page and i go by cakes by roselyn that is my real name and shelly is a nick name that my family calls me.

shelly-101 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:23pm
post #29 of 32

sorry it took me so long to get back i got busy yesterday and didn't get a chance to get on CC thought i was going to die , boy is this sight addicting.

any way the boards are made of masonite with holes cut in the centers the same size as the pvc fittings. you can not buy pvc bent already so you have to do it your self you need a heat gun not a torch because if the pvc gets too hot it can give off toxic fumes it drives my dad crazy every time he sees buddy V doing it on cake boss. you heat the pvc where you want to bend it, make sure not to get to close or you will burn the pvc and make it buckle heat it just enough so you can bend it there are only slight bends in the pipes really it just looks like there is more than what there really is. i hope this helps and yes everything is reusable.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 6:25pm
post #30 of 32

Shelly, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the Topsy Turvy design, I am slightly handy and found the one online for $90 but I KNOW PVC piping is WAY cheaper than that.... what is a heat gun? Is that kinda like the ones they have at michaels? I'm excited to do this and plan to head to Home Depot today. Thank you a million times over for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ginger

ps. please thank your dad too! I wish my dad lived close enough to build one for me, I know he certainly could!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%