Cake Boxes

Business By tootie0809 Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 3:26am by sweetneice

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 11

I want to deliver my cakes or have customers pick up cakes in a nice box, but I'm finding it very hard to find a sturdy box that is tall enough for most of my cakes. Even if it is a 1 tier cake, there is usually some sort of decoraiton on the top that makes it quite tall for a normal 5-6 inch high box, and also the boxes I've found are usually incredibly flimsy to hold the cake and cake board. It seems just as easy to just let them take the cake on the board and not worry about a box, but I don't want to seem unprofessional by not supplying one. How do you do it and what do you use for tall cakes? Thanks!

10 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 11

Here's how I box up most of my cakes.

The boxes are somewhat flimsy, but my base boards are extremely sturdy.
LL
LL

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 11

Yup.

tootie0809 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks Diane! What do you use to keep the lid upright so it doesn't fall down? And is that shrink wrap you use to wrap it?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 11

Here's how I do mine.
I wrap the box in one layer of plastic wrap just to make sure nothing gets in.
The smaller boxes (10" and under) don't have the gap on the side.
LL
LL

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 11

I buy a shipping box from Walmart and send my taller/tiered cakes in them. The 14x14 is what I used most. It cost $2.50 and I add it into the cost of their cake.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:49pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

Thanks Diane! What do you use to keep the lid upright so it doesn't fall down? And is that shrink wrap you use to wrap it?

The lid is tucked inside the flaps that are formed when the bottom of the box is assembled. I tape the lid to the bottom just to be safe.

The wrapping is just plain cellophane. Make sure you get the widest roll you can find (longest tube), so it will wrap around the sides.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 11

I found this a while ago...no real instructions but I think a crafty person could figure it out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27566605@N03/2916200842/

tootie0809 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 11

Wow that is so cute! I'd love to be able to give customers a cake in an adorable box like this, but I'm sure it would be spendy to make. I might have to price it out though and see if hubby wants to do some box making on the weekends???!!?? (Yeah right!) LOL!

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 10:01pm
post #10 of 11

I think it would probably be price too but I also think this could be done in cardboard (doubled up sheets as opposed to cutting up boxes) and then wrapped inside and out with with vinyl shelf paper to make it clean-able (is that a word? icon_biggrin.gif ) Foam core can be expensive...look for lower cost materiels. I was thinking about plastic window inserts glued together somehow...I need to have my dh look at it too...I am so lucky..he is so mechanical/construction gifted...its just getting him to do it...aint that always the way of it icon_cry.gif

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:26am
post #11 of 11

Great post!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%