Your Very First "decorated" Cake!

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 2:28pm by chefbarbie0513

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 39

I was reading another thread where tonedna posted her very first decorated cake and it got me thinking...........it's OBVIOUS how FAR she's come when you look at her first cake, but not sure how long ago that cake was made.

So..........I was curious........and thought it might be fun to see everyone's first cake that was decorated for "real". Meaning, you got a piping bag and some tips (or a plastic baggy, whatever works)...but one that was meant to be a "decorated" cake vs. just an iced cake....and also how long ago it was made, so we can see your progress.

Here is a photo of my now 7 yr. olds first birthday cake.........I didn't "get into" cake decorating until about 3 yrs. ago...but I've always made my kids' cakes.

p.s. don't you love that the cake is on a cookie sheet?? lol I didn't even know about cake boards, and all I knew was the star tip (my brother gave me a set of tips and piping bags for Christmas 1 yr. and all I ever used them for was piping deviled eggs!...until this cake)
LL

38 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 39

This is what I consider my first "decorated" cake. I'm still a newbie, so it wasn't that long ago, just this past summer. It's actually what got me into the whole cake decorating thing as a hobby. I was throwing a baby shower for my co-worker and his wife and I really wanted something special and homemade. I found a picture of a onesie cake online. I cut out my own onesie template and used Wilton fondant (before I knew how ghastly disgusting it was)! I didn't really know how to cover a cake in fondant, so there were ugly pleats all over the side. I cut a rectangular strip to hide them all! The zigzag border seemed easy enough ... and I added stars because it looked too empty without something else.

I was thrilled how it came out, and the party was a lot of fun.

After that, well, I came down hard with the cake-deco bug!

EDIT: I should say I practiced a lot before actually making this cake ... including a failed attempt at making rolled buttercream. My prototype was kinda ugly and tasted like a wad of shortening.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 39

Ha,ha,ha. What a great idea. Geez, my first decorated cake would be from 20 years ago so there are no pictures. It was a sheet cake with an Easter theme for my son's 3rd birthday. It had grass (green coconut), easter eggs (jelly beans), drop flowers with a pond and ducks (RI) and a bunny (RI). I have not thought of that cake in like EVER. Thanks for the trip donw memory lane! thumbs_up.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 39

I just recently posted my first decorated cake but I guess really it's not. My first decorated cake was when I was 7 or 8 and my sister was getting married and I made one of the doll skirt cakes for her reception. I used the star tip and covered it with stars. Actually it was looked pretty nice. My mom baked the cake in a tube pan and we put a toilet paper roll down the middle to stand the barbie in...lol...hey I am almost 50 now so that WAS a long time ago.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 39

I have decorated a few cakes before but they are mostly with fruits and such.

Here is my first fondant cake from earlier this year.
LL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I have decorated a few cakes before but they are mostly with fruits and such.

Here is my first fondant cake from earlier this year.

Are you serious? You've come that far in one year? Wow! icon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 39

My first cake was also over 20 years ago and I'm sure somewhere in the family photos I have it so I'll try to find it and scan it into my computer but it was a Strawberry Shortcake birthday cake for my 3 yr old. We didn't have the money for a store cake or a bakery cake so I bought the figurine, one of the tip "kits" from the store and did it myself. Pink frosting, white shells...well, what I thought was shells...real strawberries on top of green piped leaves with the figurine in the middle. It was a huge hit in the family and from then on I was asked to make the family cakes....picnic baskets, fish, gameboys, even one 4 tier wedding cake before I even understood about structure...you name it...but I didn't get serious till 2 years ago...and JUST went into business this past September.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 39

Mine was the Elmo shaped cake with him holding a gift and ice cream cone..I too had the picture on print so I don't have a digital pic of it..It was okay for the first cake..That was 8 years ago....

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 39

I started taking classes this past July so I could make my daughter's 1st bday cake by September (the caterpillar in my photos). I've got 2 orders for this weekend - one will be my first carved cake. I think I've really improved in this short time, but man do I still have a long way to go!
LL

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 39

This was one of my first...for my brother's senior class Xmas party. It was huge! 18x24 and totally took up our entire coffee table.

edited to add: this was about 13 years ago.
LL

twistedsplinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsplinters Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 39

This is my 1st attempt at actually tryin to make a cake look like something, it was in 1999 for my sons 2nd birthday two blues clues pawprints 8" round cakes with cupcakes for the top part of the paws. yeah it was pretty bad the icing wasnt right the layers were sliding, but my son of course "2yrs old" loved it but that is what started my love for this thing I like to call edible art!! It made me want to do better and be better!

I will say this ya'lls 1st cakes look really good mine was a sweet, sticky mess lol oh and the pic was before my digital so i had to take a pic of my pic to post ha
LL

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 7:26pm
post #12 of 39

This is my first fondant/gumpaste cake. It was for my daughter's wedding.
LL

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:27pm
post #13 of 39

Great thread!

Here's my very first cake ever. I made it for my son's 3rd birthday in July.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:36pm
post #14 of 39

Here's the first one I have an actual picture of...it was a Polaroid icon_biggrin.gif it's based on one from the Wilton yearbook but I only did two tiers because those were the pans I had. Actually, for the 10" I used a springform pan and it leaked in the oven. The flowers were royal icing because I couldn't manage a rose in buttercream, just royal, and yes, they were too hard to eat. That scalloped thing it's sitting on looks like I had my act together as far as a cake board, but it's the flat plastic turntable with the scalloped edge that Wilton sold back then.

Everything I did before that was with a star tip icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:21am
post #15 of 39

O.K. how do I get my pict. to show up. Sorry. icon_redface.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:01am
post #16 of 39

This is my first...you can see all my mess in the background lol....
LL

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:02am
post #17 of 39

Ok...here's my hot mess icon_redface.gif

I've only made about 12 cakes total, this was the first, Sept. 08. (based on a design I saw over at Flickr)

I used 3 dowels to hold up the top tier...(made a triangle shape basically) and on the way to my sister's house 15 minutes away, it tilted and ruined most of the right side.

The cupcake was Rice Krispies, the figures were purchased, the letters were hand rolled (no extruder back then).

I really underestimated how long it would take and how hard it would be.
LL

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:08am
post #18 of 39

My first ever cake was a car cake i did for my brother when i was like 13 lol It was alright i guess, it was carved with frosting and lollies on it lol but i have no idea where the picture of it is.

So my next properly decorated cake i did that also go me interested in learning cake decorating better was a bit over a year ago and is posted below and was for my cousins 12th b'day...i was so super proud of it! Though it wasn't done properly though cose i didn't know about dowling or fondant or stuff like that, it was pretty much covered in like simple cupcake icing lol
LL

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:16am
post #19 of 39

This is my first cake made a year ago. Does anyone have the link to tonedna's first cake. I would love to see it.
LL

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:52am
post #20 of 39

this was my first offical decorated cake last April for a friends Hawaiian themed wedding reception, all pieces are hand made of fondant or gumpaste or 50/50 mix. pretty ambitious for a 1st cake and I was nervous but im a perfectionist and I was determined to make it work!
LL

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:35am
post #21 of 39

Did anyone notice that the "first cakes" AFTER the internet are wayyy better than those of ours BEFORE the invention of the internet. Thank goodness for Cake Central!

I don't have a pic of my first cake but trust me it was nearly as good as my "first cake" 40 years later.

milmil95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milmil95 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:15am
post #22 of 39

I don't have a picture of the first cake I ever decorated (that was a while ago icon_lol.gif ) but I do have the picture of the cake that got me into caking, from April 09.
This was for my friends son 9th birthday.
LL

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:21am
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Did anyone notice that the "first cakes" AFTER the internet are wayyy better than those of ours BEFORE the invention of the internet. Thank goodness for Cake Central!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You're totally right! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:27pm
post #24 of 39

Justtoeatcake: My thoughts exactlly.

I'm sitting here going "ok, some of these FIRST cakes....look amazing!!!" Like, ones that I would pay for right now!!!!

It's so true though........because when I made that "baba" cake I had no clue about cake designs that were "out there".

I googled "flower cake" for my DD 2nd birthday and up came Cake Central with the tutorial on the flower pot cake with the baby in it. I remember sitting there so amazed at the fact that the flower pot WAS CAKE. I decided that was an awesome idea and went and got wilton fondant and then saw a gumpaste flower kit and thought "why not?"...........so truly THIS cake was the start of my "cake decorating obsession"........once the inlaws started saying "where's the cake?" and I said "on the table" and they saw the flower pot with gumpaste flowers and said "where, there's just a flower arrangement?" I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hooked!!!!!!............and You are so right, without the internet and CC I'd probably still be making star tipped cakes plunked on the backside of a stained up cookie sheet LOL
LL

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:05pm
post #25 of 39

Here are two. The rubber duck cake was really my first ever cake. I made it in February of 2007 for my daughter's first birthday. The second picture is the first that I made (two years later for her 3rd birthday)actually using decorating tips. This was when I decided to really get into cake decorating. You can see, I knew nothing about leveling, so one side is really lopsided! I also had no idea how to smooth buttercrem!

ETA - the second cake was done in February of 2009... wow, I guess I have come pretty far in 9 months!
LL
LL

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:08pm
post #26 of 39

All of your first cakes are really nice.
My first cake was made about 7yr ago. It was a bunny made from 2 8" rounds. I only made 2 different colors of icing for accents. Pink and this greenish color, so it looks a lil funny! I'll try to find a pic.
Most cakes after that star tipped! Til I found CC this summer I didn't know the star tip cakes were out!! icon_redface.gif

Someone said they would like to see tonednas first cake. She has it posted on a thread " Can I make a cake any uglier?" if anyone wants to see it.
I don't know how to post links, sorry!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:13pm
post #27 of 39
snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:14pm
post #28 of 39
anhdau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anhdau Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:30pm
post #29 of 39

I am new with cake decoration and i always check this forum day by day to learn how to decorate a cake . First , thanks for all sharings of members , and now i just made it happened. Here is my cake.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:07pm
post #30 of 39

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1254652

Here is my very 1st cake! LOL The pans I used were not even Wilton they were some off brand type that you could release the sides and it was supposed to just come right out...NOT FOR ME!! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%