Tricks Of The Trade

Decorating By kakedreamer1212 Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 3:59am by lthiele

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 23

We all have little tricks we use when it comes to baking and/or decorating cakes. The little things that make the job easier, that we couldnt live without, whether it be something we learned from a book, saw on t.v. or someone was nice enough to share with us. I thought during this time of giving and sharing and being thankful for the things that mean so much to us, the most important being family of course but why not share with eachother a tip or trick we've learned over the years about cake decorating that may make someone's hectic life just a little bit eaisier. I believe the best tip I've learned was here on CC. The Viva method of smoothing cake icing. I use to obsese over getting a cake smooth so much that it drove me nuts. I then discovered the Viva method and it was like magic and made cake decorating so much eaiser for me. Please share with us your amazing "Tricks of the Trade". Thank you!

22 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 23

The best advise was also from CC,
I use a coffee stirrer or straw to place in cake, to put my wired fondant numbers in.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 23

The Sugarshack method for awesomely sharp corners and smooth cakes. What a difference it made for me.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 23

Relax - If you get overly stressed about a project it stops being fun.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 23

You know my best UNkept secrets. Use an Agbay for torting and leveling and SPS for support! Easy-breezy.

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 23

lesh_s, would you mind sharing what an Agbay is? Thank you!

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

You know my best UNkept secrets. Use an Agbay for torting and leveling and SPS for support! Easy-breezy.

Oh God yes.....SPS. Makes me want to make 6 tier cakes all day long. Got a 7 tier coming up in January....oh I am peeing myself with excitement. Not literally, but, almost! icon_lol.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 23

One quick tip that I found by accident: I needed to make some bc icing smooth, and tried using the hot spatula thing, that didn't work, I was getting so frustrated, I grabbed a paper towel and some HOT water, folded the towel, and ran it along the sides of the bc icing. It ended up looking like material, just some very thin thread lines all close together and it looked neat, so I've used it a few times now, for a different texture on a cake.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:30pm
post #9 of 23

I shop for paper towels (serious business).
Each company has a different design -I always use paper towels to texture buttercream.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 23

I was curious what Agbay was as well....

www.agbayproducts.com/products.html

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:40pm
post #11 of 23

Best tip I ever got was from CC and it was how to make my own cake release.

I have never used anything else since and use it for everything from cakes, muffins right on through to breads a biscuits!

In case you would like the recipe...

1 cup flour
1 cup oil
1 cup shortening

Mix well and store in air tight container in the fridge will keep for up to 6 months although mine has never lasted that long cause i am always using it icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 23

To smooth ball shaped or rounded edge cakes use a straight edge of parchment paper and smooth from the bottom up. great for non crusting BC and do the method before crusting BC crusts. Great for 3D hamburger cakes!

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:55pm
post #13 of 23

Forgive the ignorance but SPS is .......???? icon_confused.gif

tatorchip Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:25pm
post #14 of 23
tatorchip Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:29pm
post #15 of 23
SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:48pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

The Sugarshack method for awesomely sharp corners and smooth cakes. What a difference it made for me.

I'm sorry, I'm still new. What is this method?

~Sarah~

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 9:51pm
post #18 of 23

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/buttercreamdvd.html This is the Sugarshack method. Worth every penny. And Sugarshack, is a member of CC!

SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:04pm
post #19 of 23

Thanks Jamie!

I saw her profile when I was looking it up. I think I'm about to order that!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm
post #20 of 23

The giant silpats for rolling out fondant on. I was always trying to pick it up and it would tear on my. What a pita that was! Then Sugarshacks video showed me using the silpat and the bottom part of the fondant as the "top". Made my life a whole lot easier!
Also have to love Cakebabe's chocolate fondant recipe!

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 5:54pm
post #21 of 23

Aha! Thank you TatorChip! thumbs_up.gif

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 2:44pm
post #22 of 23

I would have to say that just about EVERYTHING that I have learned regarding recipes, the making & decorating of cakes as well as decorating of cookies.... oh and cruffles & Copyright Infringement, and business advice, and contracts and.........I have learned here off of CC. And who knew that there were SO MANY cake toys out there?!! I can't thank everyone enough for all the knowledge I have learned from CC.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:59am
post #23 of 23

The "enhanced cake mix" recipe from cc! Several members of my family who are all serious cake eaters have said it's the best chocolate cake they have ever eaten! I think so too! I also use the wet towel strips and push down method - love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%