Air Brush-Which Is Good?

Decorating By sweetartbakery Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 2:18am by kathyran

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:08am
post #1 of 32

My husband insists that I get an air brush for Christmas and I'm not fighting it. He told me to do research on a good one that is easy to use and clean. every site says theirs is the best though. Anyone have a good experience or even a bad one. I'm not sure where to even start.

thanks
christy

31 replies
grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 9:22am
post #2 of 32

I have no personal experience but have read about three thousand threads on CC on this very topic! And of course, with as many brands as there are, every one has a different favorite.

I too will get an airbrush for Christmas. I had read and read and narrowed my choice down to two models: The Aztec and the Grex. Others on this list who had owned both convinced me to hold out for the Grex, which is a little pricier than many of the others.

Why not search the forums for "airbrush" and "air brush" - you'll find hours of reading and varying opinions. Good luck!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 32

I have two a Badger and a Grex. GREX hands down is the better of the two. It is much easier on the hand and I can get it so precise I could sign a check with if I chose to.

Here is a cake I did with it a few weeks ago - check out the leaves - it didn't take me hardly any time at all to do them.

I LOVE the Grex!!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1500879

grandmom Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 32

Yep, Loucinda is the one who convinced me!

Gorgeous cake, Lou!

sweetartbakery Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 32

i never thought about searching forums. I'm not new to cc, but I'm new to forums. never had time before. I need to get up to speed.

i'll read the other topics, but I'll keep the Grex in top spot in my mind!

grandmom Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 32

Here's a tip to make searching forums easier, as most forums' search feature stinks!

On your Google page, click on Advanced Search. A new screen will come up. Type in your search criteria. Near the bottom, you'll see something like "search within website:" where you will type in www.cakecentral.com.

You'll get much better search results with this than using the search feature on the forum, plus you can flip back and forth from CC to your Google search results. Sometimes on CC you have to keep entering your search criteria after you click on one result. Drives me crazy!!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:55am
post #7 of 32

I am in the exact same boat as grandmom, with the exception of any new ones that cropped up in the last 2 weeks I read every single thread that came up about "the best" airbrush. I too got down to the Grex and the Aztek. What finally made my decision was my level and the price.

I am just a hobby baker, but I didn't want to get something that wouldn't continue to grow with my skill, that's why I was on these two vs some of the much cheaper models available.

I decided on the Aztek 4709. Here are the things that made my final decision. The Grex is $300+ and the Aztec seemed to have reviews that were outstanding as well. It does not have a needle that has to be replaced or can be bent, it is dual action, it has options for gravity or suction action, you can attach the cup to the side for ease of use, in comes in a handy dandy storag box and I found it for an awesome deal $99 from Bearair.com, when the absolute cheapest I could find the set anywhere else was $121. So that was how I came to my choice. I am excited and I hope I can actually figure out how to use the dang thing, lol. This place makes me spend more money!!

Here's the post that helped me the most:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-608279.html

sweetartbakery Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 32

I'm really so lost with all of this. now what about a compressor. that seems to be the expensive part. going to search the forums, but if anyone want to give me specifics to start my search with, I would be greatfull. icon_smile.gif

grandmom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 32

The Grex is more expensive, she's right about that one. But I don't intend to buy a Grex compressor. Instead, I've learned on this forum that lots of folks here are using an inexpensive compressor from Harbor Freight. They have a model with a moisture trap (they say that's important for using on cakes) for about $80:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93657

The Grex model I want goes for about $209:

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/trduacpistai.html

So, yes, all told it will be about $300 for the brush and compressor. Then there's the cost of the airbrush colors.

I don't know if andpotts' cost included the compressor, but I don't think so. Maybe she will tell us which compressor she bought.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 32

i have a paache talon, i got it from chicago airbrush supply...it was under 100.00...there is a big difference....theres more control with this one than the one i had before

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 3:07pm
post #11 of 32
sweetartbakery Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 32

any screaming objections to this. I'm not even sure if I'll like airbrushing, so I'm trying to go with something that isn't so beginner that it will stink, but not so great that I will have to take out a loan. I figure that I can scale up if I like it. The compressor part is the biggest mystery of all, but do the air brushes look ok in this??
http://cgi.ebay.com/CAKE-DECORATING-AIRBRUSH-KIT-24-Food-Colors-Compressor_W0QQitemZ200396202552QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea88b6238

andpotts Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:56pm
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

The Grex is more expensive, she's right about that one. But I don't intend to buy a Grex compressor. Instead, I've learned on this forum that lots of folks here are using an inexpensive compressor from Harbor Freight. They have a model with a moisture trap (they say that's important for using on cakes) for about $80:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93657

The Grex model I want goes for about $209:

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/trduacpistai.html

So, yes, all told it will be about $300 for the brush and compressor. Then there's the cost of the airbrush colors.

I don't know if andpotts' cost included the compressor, but I don't think so. Maybe she will tell us which compressor she bought.

Ooh grandmom, now you've got me lusting after the Grex again! I just love the way it looks and the trigger pull, but like I was saying I've never even held an airbrush so I just couldn't spend that much. And I was saying $300+ as final cost w/ a compressor and extra bottles and colors (a full starter set up). I don't have a comprssor yet, but I too plan on following the advice of others and taking a trip to Harbor Freight and hopefully getting one with a moisture trap on sale, once I am home in a few months. So I'm trying for my total after everything, including colors to be in the $200 range. For a cake/cookie toy I don't even know if I will even be able to master, oy vey, no wonder my DH just shakes his head at me now icon_smile.gif

grandmom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:11pm
post #14 of 32

I hear ya, andpotts! I've never held one in my hand or seen one except on the Internet! It's a lot of money, be it $100, $200 or $300 for a toy you've never seen or touched.

But, I am confident we can do it! thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:03pm
post #15 of 32

That was the one thing that really sold me on it - I got to TRY it before I bought it at ICES. I fell in love instantly! icon_biggrin.gif Once I used it, I decided right then that I haad to have it. It is balanced perfectly, it is easy to use.....and has ALL the bells and whistles one could possibly want. I never had the control I have now when I used the badge one, I just could not get my finger to use that dual stage trigger on the top. Like that mastercard commercial......some things are just priceless! icon_wink.gif

(and again, I don't have the expensive compressor, or even the line, they had all the attachments to make what I already owned work with their airgun - which, IMO says a lot for them too)

grandmom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:22pm
post #16 of 32

Loucinda, you bought the Tritium TS-3, didn't you?

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 11:38pm
post #17 of 32
Quote:

Here's a tip to make searching forums easier, as most forums' search feature stinks!

On your Google page, click on Advanced Search. A new screen will come up. Type in your search criteria. Near the bottom, you'll see something like "search within website:" where you will type in www.cakecentral.com.

You'll get much better search results with this than using the search feature on the forum, plus you can flip back and forth from CC to your Google search results. Sometimes on CC you have to keep entering your search criteria after you click on one result. Drives me crazy!!

I LOVE this site...I can learn baking and computer skills at the same place!!! icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks so much for this tip grandmom!

grandmom Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:14am
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

Quote:

I LOVE this site...I can learn baking and computer skills at the same place!!! icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks so much for this tip grandmom!

Guess where I learned this?? On CC!!

Loucinda Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:29am
post #19 of 32

Grandmom - yes, it is the Tritium TS-3, love that trigger pull! icon_biggrin.gif

sols Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sols Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 4:06am
post #20 of 32

Loucinda, what brand of airbrush colours do you use with your Grex?

andpotts Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 4:33am
post #21 of 32

Can you please tell me where to get Airbrush colors for the best price? I want to get sets of pearl and regular. Also do you reccomend just starting off w/ big bottles or the small ones?

Loucinda Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:57am
post #22 of 32

I have the americolor both regular and sheen, and I have Bakery Crafts (Bakers Preferrred) Pearl, and Lucks silver, and gold. I have used all of them and really don't have a preference.

If you use the ones with sheen you HAVE to clean your gun out about every 3 fills of color - that way it won't clog. (was taught that at an airbrushing class)

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:21am
post #23 of 32

I am so glad I came across this thread. My husband really wants me to get an airbrush also, and I think he is going to "surprise" me with one for Christmas. Here's my concern, I think he is going to get me a hobby one from Harbor Freight (he likes to "save money"). Will this work? I am concerned that it is not food grade.

Loucinda Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:33am
post #24 of 32

You'll be fine with it - just keep it dedicated for cake use only.....and have fun with it!

sols Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sols Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:06am
post #25 of 32

Thanks alot Loucinda. You have me sold on the Grex!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:07am
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

You'll be fine with it - just keep it dedicated for cake use only.....and have fun with it!

Thanks. I am really looking forward to airbrushing. I have been using the Wilton cans so far and I don't really get even coverage. I just started making cakes for family and friends about 6 months ago, and well, I have become obsessed. It is tons of fun and I am finding myself extremely busy now. So I am very excited to be starting a new medium in cake decorating....let the fun begin!!!!!

CMbenz1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMbenz1972 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:21am
post #27 of 32

I went to http://www.tcpglobal.com/AirbrushDepot/ I bought one of their sets. I know it's not super fancy or anything, but I wanted to see how I liked it and how much I'd use it before I bought one of the big dogs. It came with the air brush, a compresser and twelve 4.5 oz. Bottles of Americolor Brand AmeriMist and I bought it all for $150. plus tax and shipping. I really like what I have (for now, until I use a better one) I don't make cakes often, about once a month so this for me is a great!

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:35am
post #28 of 32

I have an Airmaster from Kopykake and love it ! Ive had it for 10 years and not one problem, Great airbrush!!

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm
post #29 of 32

Ok, I really dont know anything about airbrushes or compressors and am in the market for one. Can someone tell me if a compressor made to airbrush model cars would be compatible with airbrushes made for cakes. What is the difference if there is one.

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:04pm
post #30 of 32

I dont know much about them either, wish I could help...sorry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%