Teapot Cake

Decorating By cakelass Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 12:35pm by Loucinda

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 10:14am
post #1 of 28

Hi to all,
Would anyone know of a tutorial for making a teapot cake? Or could some one share how it is done?? TIA

27 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 11:15am
post #2 of 28

free bump cause I would love to learn how to make this as well icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 11:44am
post #3 of 28

I have made several of them. I use the sports ball pan. Use a heavy cake recipe (like a pound cake) Make the handle and the spout a few days out - I use gumpaste. Do not make them too big, they won't look right. I also use 2 tooth pics in each piece to hold them into the cake - kind of form them off of one of the pans so they have the curve they will need to match the cake. (you don't have to leave them like that to dry, it will hold the roundness) turn them several times or put them in a dish with p/s to hold them so they don't loose their shape while drying.

Bake a pound cake type cake. After it is cool, cut the bottom off of one of the rounds so it will set flat. Save that piece, it is what you will use to make the lid of the teapot. Put the rounds together, and put that piece that you saved on the top (I use a glass to cut it to the right size for the lid) crumb coat and ice it. I use buttercream, some use fondant whatever you like.

I then attach the handle and spout making sure you dont get the toothpics in the part of the cake that is the filling you want it to be able to be in the cake itself so it will hold. I then put some kind of trim around those pieces so it cleans the edges up somewhat.

You can make a rose or use another piece of gumpaste for the handle on the lid. These are not hard to do at all if you have any other questions, just pm me and I will try to help you!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=2539

Loucinda Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 11:47am
post #4 of 28

I forgot to tell you that you can trim the teapot out with whatever you want - I like to use royal flowers that I have already made, but you can use about anything - you can even just "paint" them if you want to.

I put a link in the above post to one I have done -here it is again -

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=2539

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 11:56am
post #5 of 28

Thanks so much Loucinda

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 28

Loucinda,
Beautiful teapot cake!
Do you use a board between the layers or dowel the cake in any way?
Thanks.

Loucinda Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 28

No, no board between the layers. If the cake is traveling, yes, I would dowel it. (you can see in that pic that one is NOT doweled - the board was way too thin!)

Make sure you put it on a nicer board than I did. (1/2" foamcore works very well) I was new at the cake stuff when I did that one! icon_wink.gif

There are some really nice teapots in the gallery - I just do mine very simple.

If you have a little girl, just copy the shape of the handle and spout off of one of her play teapots!

Oh - and make sure you mold the "opening" of the spout - it makes it look more realistic. (where the tea would be poured out)

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 28

Thank you so much for this thread! I am making one in Nov. and was wondering about the doweling also. Loucinda, great tips!

Loucinda Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm
post #9 of 28

You're welcome! If you need any help when you do them, just ask. I have made a LOT of them, I just don't take pics of them anymore.

You can use a 50/50 blend for the handle and spout, but they take longer to dry.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 28

Or you could make the handles and spout out of chocolate.

Loucinda Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:08pm
post #11 of 28

I wouldn't use just plain chocolate. Candy clay (chocolate mixed with karo) is very moldable, and that should work.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:38pm
post #12 of 28

Well, I just did one last weekend and it was my first. I was gonna free hand carve it but I did something else very clever.
First of all, the cake was only for about 8 or so people, so it wasn't that big. I baked up 2 6in cakes and cut them in half and filled them with buttercream. I stacked them together and shoved them into my pyrex glass bowl that was round and tall. Then refridgerated it til the morning. Then I ran a butter knife around the inside edge and it came right out into the shape of a teapot. I then crumb coated and layed fondant over it.
I made the handle, spout and flowers about a week in advance and the lid too. It was all MMF.
Covered it in luster dust and put it together and wala!!

Here is a picture of the finished product..I have to say for my first teapot, I was pretty proud!!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1471373.html

kitcae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitcae Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:36pm
post #13 of 28

I'm so glad I found this post! I want to make a teapot cake in December for my Mom and I was wondering how to make one-(I would have asked!)Thank you!
Loucinda- your cake is beautiful!

Loucinda Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:42pm
post #14 of 28

kitcae - thank you! If you have any questions when you make yours, just ask!

Bakerzjoy - nice teapot - I don't refrigerate cakes so I am not sure how well that would work for me. It worked great for you though!

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:14pm
post #15 of 28

Thankyou Loucinda and Bakerzjoy for your help. I need to also make this cake for November and was shying away from doing it. I now will attempt it. Thankyou again!

Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:36pm
post #16 of 28

You're welcome - have fun, they are not hard to do at all!

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:49pm
post #17 of 28

I'm so glad I found this post! I am making a teapot cake next week, so these tips will definitely help!

Rhiannon_Scarlett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhiannon_Scarlett Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:06pm
post #18 of 28

Hello

I also made a teapot recently using this tutorial

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/teapot-cake.html

Mine turned out hideous though (no pic!) but my Mum loved it. icon_smile.gif

snocilla Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:13pm
post #19 of 28

Thanks Rhiannon, great tutorial!

Loucinda - the tutorial says to attach the handles and spout with toothpicks. I still plan to just 'glue' on the handles, but is the spout too heavy to 'glue'? Do you usually use toothpicks? I am making the spout out of a 50/50 mix of fondant/gumpaste.

Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:17pm
post #20 of 28

Yes, you will need to use toothpics for the handle and spout - they are way to heavy for just gumglue to hold them. (I think even spagetti would not be strong enough) The important thing with the handles and spouts are where you are attaching them - MAKE SURE they are going into the cake and NOT the icing between the layers!

snocilla Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:23pm
post #21 of 28

Ok! I'll use toothpicks then!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:26pm
post #22 of 28

Great tips here on this thread!

Just wanted to offer another option. If it will be traveling, you may want to use the wondermold pan. I covered this one with MMF. I used a wooden dowel in the spout and also used white candy melts for extra security. The handle and topper were also held in place with white candy melts.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1329615

scnix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scnix Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:38pm
post #23 of 28

I did one teapot cake (it turned out ok). I just wanted to offer another option. For the spout I used an icea cream cone and trimed it down a little bit. It was lighter than 50/50 gumpast/fondant.
I also used toothpicks for the handle.

Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #24 of 28

Never thought of using an ice cream cone. I just have good luck with the gumpaste or 50/50 and like the way it looks. I will have to check yours out!

snocilla Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:25am
post #25 of 28

Does anyone have any tips for covering the ball in fondant? I'm struggling a bit...

Loucinda Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:01am
post #26 of 28

I have never done one with fondant - I have better luck with the buttercream on that round surface.

Can you "cut" some triangles of the fondant out around the bottom? (make it to where the edges would meet pretty cleanly though)

I am sorry I am not much help on that part. icon_sad.gif

snocilla Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:30am
post #27 of 28

I finally finished! Here it is! Thanks for all of your help Loucinda. It's definitely not the cleanest work I've ever done, but still pretty cute.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1490369

Loucinda Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 12:35pm
post #28 of 28

You're welcome. I wish I could've been more help with the fondant part - I need to do one in that medium so I can help others with it. The next ones you do will get easier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%