Amazing Wedding Cakes - Decorating Styles

Lounge By MariaLovesCakes Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 12:23am by Sugar_Kitty

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 118

Okay, this has been killing me and I have to ask.

I love all the different styles of the Cake Girls, Christopher Garren and somewhat the Cake Alchemy. But Merci Boccup really gets me in a way I cannot explain.

I think their work is somewhat sloppy. The guys that does the buttercream is a bit messy and although I think he can do some neat stuff with buttercream, I think he is messy. No clean lines, a mess here a mess there. I think that they also tend to over decorate their cakes. Too busy.

Last week they did one that was Russian that had lots of details on it. From a distance it looked great. But get closer and you can see the numerous mistakes on it. Not neat at all.

Last night they did one that I am still watching because I recorded it and they are doing one with celtic designs. Very, very messy. I just saw them adding the decorations on it and the fondant they put on the bottom is not even straight It looks terrible.

I don't mean to be to hard on them, but their cakes always seem messy.

What do you all think?

117 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 118

Not one cake show to be seen over here on our tv - icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif
Bad or good -

I am amazed when i read about all the shows and competitions you have in the USA on telly.

Bluehue.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 118

Don't feel bad, Bluehue...they're all on cable and if you don't want to pay for cable, you don't get them...so I don't get to see any either.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 118

I am so glad that someone mentioned this... I taped it too and shouldn't they have looked for the best side to be the front? That plaque went right next to a big fondant border gap. I find mistakes in my own work that Iknow other people won't notice, and that worries me but to be on national tv, and for what those cllients must be paying for this work... I would expect more.
Didn't the lady from Merci used to be last year with the girl in new york from cake algomie" or what ever that name is.. I know she was with one of the other groups.. and they never got along at all... now all of a sudden she is in california.. with new people

And whats with all these bakerys being on the 2n or 3rd floors?? and some with hardly working elevators.. ???

And whats with Christopher ... he is more of a supervisor.. his staff is great... but he doesn't do much... his hand painted cake was beautiful however..

Does anyone watch the Ultimate Cake Off??? And there is a new one starting with normal everyday bakers..Wedding Cake Wars.. . that is comming to WETV.. I think there is something on there website about it.
The more Ideas the better. Has anyone see the YOUTUBE videos from
EDNA... I have her detailed info but not in front of me... Her cakes and how to videos are fantastic.. and she is so helpful on one on one questions. I think she needs her own TV show.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 118

I love Christopher Garren's work and some of the Cake Girls'.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 118

Reva and mark worked for Cake Diva's out of CA (the owner is now one of the judges on The Ulitmate Cake Off) I agree, their style is a little loose for me. People order cakes from them, so more power to 'em!

MariaLovesCakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 118

I am sorry for those than can't get the TV shows. Either good or bad, they do have some techniques that I can definetely learn from.

And yes, the lady from Merci Boccup used to be with Cake Divas. Mark and her used to work there so I guess something happened and they decided to part ways.

My husband is not a cake decorator and he even agreed that their work was somewhat sloppy.

I am looking forward to other cake shows.

I saw Norman Davis and Courtney on the Episode #2 of Ultimate Cake off.

They are also posting their recipes on the TLC site so I have copied some of them to try them out!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 118

The girl from Merci Becuop used to work at Cake Divas with Mark. Laurie from Cake Alchemy is in New York & used to not get along with her former partner and their shop was Cake Atelier

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 118

I love the cake girls--they never seem to be trying too hard to be entertaining...they seem to just be themselves...and they are so talented!

NJCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakeDiva Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Reva and mark worked for Cake Diva's out of CA (the owner is now one of the judges on The Ulitmate Cake Off) I agree, their style is a little loose for me. People order cakes from them, so more power to 'em!

I am so glad that you mentioned this about Reva and Mark. I had been killing my brain trying to figure out the bakery they were with last year (cleared my dvr from all the old episodes). Cake Divas that was it. They did the cake for Ed Begley Jr (environmental cake with the mills). The sister is a judge on Ultimate Cake Off. I love this show so far. My favorite part is when they have to stop to do a challenge and the winner gets to stop one of the other bakers for 30 minutes. Talk about cut throat- Ouch! icon_surprised.gif

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:08pm
post #11 of 118

I agree that their stuff can be sloppy. On the small towers of the russian cake, the fondant "ropes" weren't evenly rolled or put on evenly. But, I do like them a lot. The guy is amazing with buttercream, they just need to pay a little more attention to each cake.

Christopher gets on my last nerve, but I like him too. He is constantly changing things at the last minute, and he hardly ever works on the cakes.
But I'm sure he probably does and they just edit that part out of something.

I don't like Cake Alchemy. I just don't like the majority of cakes they do. I love sugar art, but not ALL over the cake(like the bridal expo one). That's just my taste though. And it really bothers me the way that girl pronounces her name...Melanie. I don't know why but it drives me nuts!

But, even before I started doing cakes I didn't like Duff because I think they are really sloppy too. But everyone else seems to forgive that fact because he's so popular. Oh, well.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm
post #12 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Not one cake show to be seen over here on our tv - icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif
Bad or good -

I am amazed when i read about all the shows and competitions you have in the USA on telly.

Bluehue.

You can watch them online at http://www.yidio.com/show/amazing-wedding-cakes

Jeff_Arnett Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:14pm
post #13 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

I am so glad that someone mentioned this... I taped it too and shouldn't they have looked for the best side to be the front? That plaque went right next to a big fondant border gap. I find mistakes in my own work that Iknow other people won't notice, and that worries me but to be on national tv, and for what those cllients must be paying for this work... I would expect more.
Didn't the lady from Merci used to be last year with the girl in new york from cake algomie" or what ever that name is.. I know she was with one of the other groups.. and they never got along at all... now all of a sudden she is in california.. with new people

And whats with all these bakerys being on the 2n or 3rd floors?? and some with hardly working elevators.. ???

And whats with Christopher ... he is more of a supervisor.. his staff is great... but he doesn't do much... his hand painted cake was beautiful however..

Does anyone watch the Ultimate Cake Off??? And there is a new one starting with normal everyday bakers..Wedding Cake Wars.. . that is comming to WETV.. I think there is something on there website about it.
The more Ideas the better. Has anyone see the YOUTUBE videos from
EDNA... I have her detailed info but not in front of me... Her cakes and how to videos are fantastic.. and she is so helpful on one on one questions. I think she needs her own TV show.

I think the new WETV one premieres Sept. 20th.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:16pm
post #14 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe-dreams

I agree that their stuff can be sloppy. On the small towers of the russian cake, the fondant "ropes" weren't evenly rolled or put on evenly. But, I do like them a lot. The guy is amazing with buttercream, they just need to pay a little more attention to each cake.

Christopher gets on my last nerve, but I like him too. He is constantly changing things at the last minute, and he hardly ever works on the cakes.
But I'm sure he probably does and they just edit that part out of something.

I don't like Cake Alchemy. I just don't like the majority of cakes they do. I love sugar art, but not ALL over the cake(like the bridal expo one). That's just my taste though. And it really bothers me the way that girl pronounces her name...Melanie. I don't know why but it drives me nuts!

But, even before I started doing cakes I didn't like Duff because I think they are really sloppy too. But everyone else seems to forgive that fact because he's so popular. Oh, well.

Isn't funny that the so called big names aren't, for the most part, any better than the rest of us...and not even as good as many!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:25pm
post #15 of 118

what bugs me the most is how repetative it is:

first scene: something will happen

next scene: someone will explain what just happened icon_rolleyes.gif

final scene: they will discuss it some more. icon_cry.gif

get on with it !!!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:34pm
post #16 of 118

I have to say, although reva and marks style isn't mine, theirs looks like a fun shop to work in.

I really like christopher garrens style but they all don't seem like they are having much fun.

Why the shops are upstairs, i would think that has alot to do with the cost of rent in the large cities.

mtaccts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaccts Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:44pm
post #17 of 118

Arrrghhh...the "Mel-lanie" thing drives me insane --I bet you money her Momma didn't name her that LOL

And ditto on the Reva/Mark thing....most seem a little sloppy and unorganized but they get paid 'beaucoup' bucks so rock on.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 6:46pm
post #18 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Don't feel bad, Bluehue...they're all on cable and if you don't want to pay for cable, you don't get them...so I don't get to see any either.

Me neither. I wish I could.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:15pm
post #19 of 118

I'm so glad someone started this thread.

Merci Beaucoup cakes are sloppy!, at least on TV. One cake the fondant didn't actually meet each other. Didn't seem to bother them because it was delivered that way. I guess they believe every cake has a back side.

I do like C.G's cakes. They have a team and he's the leader. He does get in there and do stuff. I think they are focusing on what the interns are learning. Yes, I do want to be the fly on the wall, when they are all having fits.

Cake Alchemy, I wondered as well, why she wasn't with her original partner. Reruns, show it. I also can't get past the pronunciation of the one intern. I do love her sugar work. How I could get someone to pay for it in my neck of the woods is another story.

Cake Girls, rock! I don't necessarily love what they do. I do love the fact they weren't pastry chefs and they decided their talent as artists would make them a buck.

Back to the point, M.B., from what I can see puts out a pretty product but not well done

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:25pm
post #20 of 118

While I love Mark and Reva i agree about their sloppy work. Last night when they put the brown fondant on it was all uneven. My husband who does not cake at all said wow that looks messy and uneven.

That said they do sell cakes which is more than I do at this point.

As far as Chris Garren, sometimes I think he is nasty. He tries to be funny but he isnt just mean sometimes. He needs to lighten up sometime. He said well this cake isnt perfect, well yours aren't either. Everyone makes mistakes teach your employees to correct their mistakes nicely.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:29pm
post #21 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

Cake Alchemy, I wondered as well, why she wasn't with her original partner.

They went their separate ways due to artisitic differences....both have their own shops now. Ruth Drennan, the other partner, now operates Ruth Drennan Cakes. Here's her site: http://www.ruthdrennancakes.com/

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:34pm
post #22 of 118

I'm just happy to see that no one is perfect (well maybe Chris Garren and Cake Girls).

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:59pm
post #23 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

I'm just happy to see that no one is perfect (well maybe Chris Garren and Cake Girls).

No one is perfect, just ask my SIL, who doesn't have a clue how any of it gets done.

She has Kerry Vincent's eye. Yet she doesn't have a clue, how long it takes and doesn't know how to do it. Yet she has hissy fits if it isn't right.

If she could be my partner, I would love it. She would give Bridzillas on WeTV a run for their money.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:07pm
post #24 of 118

I just want to clarify....

Although I may not agree on how perfect their stuff is, I DO respect them. I hope to some day be on a high level of experitise...but I also look for perfection (which we all know is not possible with cakes!).

I didn't mean to imply that I think they aren't talented or deserving of their customers...if that's the way it came out!

CakeJediChic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeJediChic Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:12pm
post #25 of 118

I agree with the sloppiness. I like the others but Merci just seems too amateur I guess. Not that thats a bad thing, I guess if they are on tv, youd expect it to be darn near perfect, lol. My husband also said the same about not liking their style and how they seems sloppy.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:13pm
post #26 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe-dreams

I just want to clarify....

Although I may not agree on how perfect their stuff is, I DO respect them. I hope to some day be on a high level of experitise...but I also look for perfection (which we all know is not possible with cakes!).

I didn't mean to imply that I think they aren't talented or deserving of their customers...if that's the way it came out!

Its cool,hon.

We are just pointing out little things hee and there that we noticed.

I just found so unerving that Mark and Reva were not as tidy with their cakes as they should be.

icon_smile.gif

MariaLovesCakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:14pm
post #27 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeJediChic

I agree with the sloppiness. I like the others but Merci just seems too amateur I guess. Not that thats a bad thing, I guess if they are on tv, youd expect it to be darn near perfect, lol. My husband also said the same about not liking their style and how they seems sloppy.

Aren't our husbands the best!! They agree with us!!! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:30pm
post #28 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I have cable, but it doesn't carry the channel or network, or station...whatever it's called, LOL.

Just saw that they're aired on line!

Edited: You have to subscribe to Netflix or IReel icon_sad.gif

wakeandbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakeandbake Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:49pm
post #29 of 118

i was just waiting for someone else to get the conversation going on this one! i totally agree! their cakes are beyond "sloppy." i just can't believe that someone with as many years in the business would be content with sending out a product that looks that way. it almost seems like they don't care! but i guess if you have been in the business for a while you get a sense for what people will find acceptable and deliver that instead of delivering the best. i really wish that they would put as much effort into their cakes as they claim they do on t.v.. the cake alchemy girls seem to think a little too much of their cakes as well. don't get me wrong, they're allright, but i have seen better work here on this site! christopher garren's cakes are usually very beautiful. even if i don't always like the style of the cake i can appreciate their work. it's always very clean and well executed. the cake girls rock! i love love love their work and their personalities. i don't think that i have ever seen a cake of theirs that i didn't like. i wish that i was half as talented as they are.

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm
post #30 of 118

LOVE the Cakegirls and Christopher Garren's work!!!! But, for some reason the manager of his shop Marjorie bugs me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%