Paper Souffle Cups - Safe? Where To Buy?

Baking By tujy Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm by CakesByLJ

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:36am
post #1 of 24

i LOVE these cups! they're so cute. and now i have the chance to use them as cupcake gifts for my sister's wedding guests.

but i'm not sure if they're officially safe for baking in. i've researched online and it seems some people bake directly in them, some just put the cupcake in them after baking, some bloggers are telling people to get the wilton ones (which i thought were officially unsafe for oven use), and other bloggers have mentioned their cups are the SOLO brand but i'm not sure if they actually checked if they were safe or not before they recommended them to their readers.

so can somebody please tell me whether the paper souffle cups they use have officially been deemed safe for oven use, and what brand they are? i'm not in USA so please note the brand name so i can try to track down a local supplier. I have only found 1 place that sells the 3.25 oz SOLO branded cups. The storeperson wasn't very helpful, but they did tell me the cups have a PET lining? is this safe?

23 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:49am
post #2 of 24

my husband works for the largest paper company, and has let me use some of his samples of these to check how they do...they work beautifully. i use a size 20 ice cream scoop and put one or one and a half scoops in the cup...i think he said it's a 5 oz or 8 oz. i just put the cups on a baking sheet, they cook for about 25 minutes, i pull them directly out and put them on a cooling rack. they're cool in about 30 mins or so, i put a fancy swirl of icing on the top, snap on the appropriate domed lid, and i have a beautiful presentation that is covered and self contained. i even added some of those little tasting spoons for one batch of samples. customers love them because they look much more high end, and you can very easily put cupcakes "wrappers" on them to match a theme.

as for a vendor, i would have that same issue myself if i decided to use these full time. my husband could not help me, since he only deals with customers who buy over 1000 cases at a time...however, sysco should be able to help you order with the company (international paper)

by the way, one of my husbands national accounts is getting ready to use these cups for a new promotion...however, i think they're dropping teh cupcake with it's liner down into the souffle cup, not baking directly in it like i did.

tujy Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 24

i just found this snippet of info about the cups

http://www.solocupeurope.co.uk/product.asp?prod_id=soufflecupspaper

it says they aren't microwaveable. so does that mean you can't use them in the oven then?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 24

I used the Wilton version at the weekend, and although they look really nice (better than the fluted muffin/cupcake liners), they were difficult to get the actual cupcake out of them! I'm sure there must be a trick, but my bride and groom today told me they were really difficult to eat (which was frustrating as they were so delicious)!

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 24

ive always wanted to try these!! (i think i will tonight lol) anyhoo i have heard of ppl snipping the rim (one on each side) to help them come out easier!! ill let you guys know how they turn out!!

baby

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 24

If it is called a souffle cup, and a souffle is something that is baked/cooked/whatever, then it is food safe. Now if some stupid company is referring to their product as a souffle cup, and it's not food safe, then I don't know what.

tujy Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

I used the Wilton version at the weekend, and although they look really nice (better than the fluted muffin/cupcake liners), they were difficult to get the actual cupcake out of them! I'm sure there must be a trick, but my bride and groom today told me they were really difficult to eat (which was frustrating as they were so delicious)!

this is apparently the trick to opening them
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aranandjennie/214506983/
hth

also the wilton ones are "not intended for baking" due to the lining on the inside of the cups melting or something.
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E315459-475A-BAC0-584733D0E13452B6

tujy Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

If it is called a souffle cup, and a souffle is something that is baked/cooked/whatever, then it is food safe. Now if some stupid company is referring to their product as a souffle cup, and it's not food safe, then I don't know what.

yes thats what i originally thought too. but now i think the "souffle" part of the name doesn't have anything to do with actual souffles (someone correct me if i'm wrong). i think its just the name of the design of the cup? even on the manufacturers websites they only say the cups are great for serving sauces, condiments - nothing about souffles.

i got this reply from SOLO today:
"There is no problem with baking in these cups. Many people use our soufflé cups for this purpose. The plastic lining will withstand the heat from normal oven baking."

but from what i've read online, the manufacturers aren't really straight up about their answers.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/453705

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 24

Well, I have a Smart and Final in town, and the souffle cups that are sold there aren't SOLO, but another brand. There is a picture on the front of the cups with what appear to be little egg souffles or even creme' brulee.

These are definitely not coated with any plastic or varnish.

tujy Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:20pm
post #10 of 24

i was also wondering if the cups absorb butter/oil - making them look ugly/greasy?

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:23pm
post #11 of 24

They get a little shiny, but it's not ugly, in my opinion. The really awesome thing about them, is you can just plunk them all on a cookie sheet....no need for muffin tins!

tujy Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #12 of 24

could you please tell me the brand name of the ones you buy? is it GENPAK?

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #13 of 24

Yep...GENPAK

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #14 of 24

I use the Genpak ones also.. they work great. I get them at Smart & Final also $5.28 for 250.

The Wilton ones are coated with wax and are NOT safe for baking , that is why it is hard to get the cupcake out of them cause the wax bonds the cake to the liner.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:42pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

I use the Genpak ones also.. they work great. I get them at Smart & Final also $5.28 for 250.

The Wilton ones are coated with wax and are NOT safe for baking , that is why it is hard to get the cupcake out of them cause the wax bonds the cake to the liner.

I actually had the opposite problem - the cupcakes shrank away from the liner on cooling, no sticking here!

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:10pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

I actually had the opposite problem - the cupcakes shrank away from the liner on cooling, no sticking here!

I don't bake in nut cups anymore, I just pop a baked cupcake, wrapper and all, into a prepared nutcup. I make an X in the bottom, or use a 1 inch grommet tool (found in the scrapbooking section) to make an opening large enough so you can push your finger up through and push the cupcake out.

For photo instructions see the nut cup how-to in my signature.
Hope this is helpful to someone.

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:17pm
post #17 of 24

Kimsmom, that is about the cutest dang thing I've ever seen!

tujy Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:42am
post #18 of 24

can somebody please tell me something about the solo cups - do they only come in 1 type of material? i've been reading descriptions of them - "treated paper" and "poly lined", and peoples comments about avoiding the ones with the waxy/plastic coating. are solo souffle cups all the same? i have only found 1 local supplier and i'm not sure if they sell the "safe" version of the cups. if someone can confirm that there is only 1 "type" of material they use for solo souffle cups, then i'll know for sure that the supplier has safe ones for baking. tia!!

tujy Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:23pm
post #19 of 24

ok now i have received a reply from Solo Cup Europe:

"Unfortunately, Solo paper soufflé cups are not suitable for baking, as they cannot withstand the high temperatures of an oven.

Our poly-lined soufflés have a plastic coating, so they resist liquids/sauces better than standard wax-treated soufflés."

Its the opposite to what Solo Cup USA told me.

Why??? why do they have to give conflicting answers??

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:54am
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

my husband works for the largest paper company, and has let me use some of his samples of these to check how they do...they work beautifully. i use a size 20 ice cream scoop and put one or one and a half scoops in the cup...i think he said it's a 5 oz or 8 oz. i just put the cups on a baking sheet, they cook for about 25 minutes, i pull them directly out and put them on a cooling rack. they're cool in about 30 mins or so, i put a fancy swirl of icing on the top, snap on the appropriate domed lid, and i have a beautiful presentation that is covered and self contained. i even added some of those little tasting spoons for one batch of samples. customers love them because they look much more high end, and you can very easily put cupcakes "wrappers" on them to match a theme.

What domed lid can you get that fits on these? Thanks!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:34pm
post #21 of 24

kimsmom... your ribbon nutcups are adorable~! Can you tell me what size souffle cup you used? The 3.25, or the 4 oz. ? thankx icon_biggrin.gif

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:50am
post #22 of 24

Thank you Jamie and CakesByLJ. The nutcups in the how-to photo were Wilton's. I think about 3 or 3-1/4oz. I don't use Wilton's anymore since they changed them, as the rolled edge looks ragged if I decide to put a cupcake collar on them.

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:42am
post #23 of 24

I JUST baked some cupcakes in one of these cups and LOVED it! There is a learning curve with baking them though...here is my blog with a post about it and some instructions on how to bake them safely! icon_smile.gif

http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/can-i-have-smore.html

I got mine at Cash N Carry - a local restaurant supply store. I think I bough 300 for like $5. I love it!!!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm
post #24 of 24

Thanks for the info kimsmom, and mrsmudrash (great blog Jessica!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%