How Do I Find Specific Cake Decorating Supplies Like...

Decorating By kaminer317 Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 4:45am by txnonnie

kaminer317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaminer317 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:47am
post #1 of 19

Those silver balls (I'm not sure what they're called). People often use them with the "quilted" look on cakes. I have looked at every grocery store, Wal-Mart, Michael's and Jo Ann's, and I can't find these things anywhere! I don't have a cake decorating store in my area. Any suggestions? Thanks!

18 replies
MegnD83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegnD83 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:57am
post #2 of 19

Globalsugarart

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:05am
post #3 of 19

They are called dragees and they come in all kinds of colors. As the previous poster stated you can find them on global sugar art and many other online sites.

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:07am
post #4 of 19

I'm not sure where you are located, but I'm pretty sure that dragees can't be shipped to California. I think that is the only exception.

lzbthbrdn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lzbthbrdn Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:37am
post #5 of 19

i think i heard that the reason they couldnt be shipped to ca was because of the silver, not sure though. i copied the bottom part off a website for a local store for me here in fl that i always use for everything "cake"

Dragees are classified as non-edible and for decoration only by the FDA in the United States because they contain minute quantities of heavy metals. However, they are non-toxic and safe for use on food and are considered edible in many countries outside of the U.S. where they are consumed on a variety of confections. Please note: These cannot be shipped to California.

Ingredients: sugar, wheat starch, rice starch, wheat meal, arabic gum (gellatin agent), gelatin, Natural Colors, gold (Curoumin) E/10, Silver (Pure Silver) E/174

the link to the webpage is:
http://dandgoccasions.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=488&zenid=09b9501hqsi68rnp97vkn5pe41

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:53am
post #6 of 19

Yes, dragees. They are not to be sold and shipped in California, like already mentioned.

You can search in dragees on Google and find many places.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 19

That's very interesting. Is it the "Governator" that won't allow them in? icon_lol.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:07pm
post #8 of 19

You can also purchase them online at www.sweetnfancy.com They are outlawed in CA because of a lawsuit, filed a number of years ago, claiming that the silver coating was dangerous to children when eaten. The lawyer who filed the suit was convincing and therefore NO DRAGEES FOR YOU! if you live in CA. The above mentioned site sells them in silver and gold in various sizes.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:12pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

That's very interesting. Is it the "Governator" that won't allow them in? icon_lol.gif

no some lawyer (a uber "all food must be pure" type -- the kind who gives environmentalists and natural foods movement people a bad name) sued.

here's a story link about it:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/12/23/MNGS03SUEM1.DTL

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:29pm
post #10 of 19

OMG.. I had no idea these are not to be eaten. When I was a child my mother decorated some cakes for me and my sisters with these.

Doug Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejewel

OMG.. I had no idea these are not to be eaten. When I was a child my mother decorated some cakes for me and my sisters with these.

anything can be inedible -- even water -- called drowning!

---
at the amounts these would be eaten (i think they taste nasty) -- the greatest fear would be all the chipped and broken teeth -- those things are HARD - worse than a jawbreaker! (why I'd put the dentist's grandkids through college if I chomped on them)

---

once again held hostage by over reaction & paranoia (and I dare I say -- someone looking for a way to make a buck)

moocow86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moocow86 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #12 of 19

I didnt know they couldnt be shipped to CA. i just ordered some and it didnt say anything to ma about not being able to be shipped to me . thats so weird . Does anyone know where i can find black dragees? i need them by friday of next week .

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:29pm
post #13 of 19

don't know if she sells the ones that lawyer goes after.

PM me if you want a store.

icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #14 of 19

I don't know if Doug's link to the story about that lawyer are the same links I have posted on earlier threads about dragees (they are buried so far back in my posts archive I don't know where they are!) but anyway - yeah to sum it up, it's all because of him!

Note that they are NOT "illegal" to sell or use in California, as many sites state. That is a misunderstanding that vendors tend to perpetuate. But because the guy went after EACH AND EVERY person he could find selling dragees to CA, 99.99% of companies will not sell to CA because he WILL go after them, if he finds 'em. What happens is: he claims that they are selling a toxic product that people will put on edible items, and takes them to court, leaving the burden of proof on them - meaning they'd have to hire lawyers to prove that dragees won't harm you. Since nobody wants to take on that mountain of an assignment, they all settle out of court...from the articles I've read, a small store can expect to fork over $3-6K if he ferrets them out. So people who sell them usually do it quietly.

And yes, it's due to the silver content, because silver accumulates in your body throughout life; it is not flushed out of your system. But as Doug mentions, the amount consumed is considered SO negligible, that is why many countries do NOT consider them to be a health hazard in any way.

Sox-n-Pats if the person you're referencing sells silver ones can you please do her a favor and go back in and edit your post and remove her information? Then PM it to the OP. Because I have no idea if that guy is still active about dragees or if he figures his work is done, but if he canvasses sites like this for info, then she will get sued by him. You can only edit your post for a short time, otherwise her info will be "out there" for him to track her down any time. icon_surprised.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:29pm
post #15 of 19

Chef Rubber will sell dragees to California residents. Paul, the owner, has already won a lawsuit over it. You can also make your own if you take the naked sugar beads, spray them with a good dose of sugar laquer and then dust them in the luster/disco dust of your choice.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:07pm
post #16 of 19

Thanks for that info, that is good to know and I am pleased to learn that someone has fought that guy and won! I'm all for people protecting my health, but IMO it should have been an awareness campaign set out to require warning labels so that people could decide for themselves whether or not to use/eat them, not an outright ban. thumbsdown.gif

Doug Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #17 of 19

what's funny about all this...

silver is used in water purification systems.

it has bioreactive properties that kill all kinds of bad bacteria.

---
so for humans I guess it would be death by purification.

It makes us just too sterling?

kaminer317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaminer317 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #18 of 19

thanks so much for the info...i went to one the sites listed, and they have them in 4 mm, 6 mm or 8 mm...what size should i get? what size have you used (if you typically use these on your cakes)?

thanks again!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:45am
post #19 of 19

You could make some fondant pearls and dust them with silver luster dust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%