It's Official...i'm Now A Licensed, Legal, Honest-To-

Business By Mencked Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 2:49pm by KReeves

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:43am
post #1 of 71

goodness, legitimate caker!!!! I passed my inspection this afternoon and so Cakes by Diane LLC is now open for business!!!! Woo-hoo!!!!!

70 replies
alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:51am
post #2 of 71

YAY! I can only imagine how happy you are. Now sell some cakes so you can pay for all the stuff you had to do to get legal.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:58am
post #3 of 71

Mazel tov!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:17am
post #4 of 71

Wooo Woooo!!!!!!

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 71

Congratulations!! How exciting for you. I checked out your website and your cakes are awesome.
May I ask why you are LLC? Was there an advantage to being incorporated? I'm trying to get info for when I go into business someday.

Mencked Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 71

Thanks guys! Motta, in answer to your question, my lawyer advised me to just go ahead and do the LLC from the beginning. It just protects my family should anything go legally wrong with the business. I'm still the only person listed on all of the paperwork though. This endeavor took a good long year for me...relying on the kindness of my family and friends to help with renovating my commercial kitchen (a mobile home turned into my cake kitchen)--especially since I'm not the greatest at stuff like that icon_smile.gif! The greatest lesson I've learned from this little experience is that patience is indeed a virtue (not one that I normally possess!) I did this project totally on a cash basis, relying on Craig's list and Ebay for my equipment. It's going to be well worth it! I'm just ready to get caking in that wonderful kitchen where I don't have to allow my family in for paltry things like meals icon_smile.gif!!!

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 71

Thanks for the info Diane. I think a year is not too long a time to wait to do what you love for the rest of your life. I'm also impressed that you did it all on a cash basis. That's great to start your business without a lot of debt eating your profits. Best of luck to you!!!!!

sunny2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunny2 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 71

Congratulations!!!!

Now, take some pictures and post them so we can see you space!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 71

Congratulations! I would love to see your space too I'm in the process of getting legal also and hope to be able to announce my "grand opening" in just a few weeks.

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 71

Congratulations! The best things come to those who wait! icon_biggrin.gif

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 71

Congrats!!!! I have my inspection tomorrow morning! I hope I can post an announcement like this tomorrow sometime! Happy Caking! icon_smile.gif

Mencked Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 71

Good luck Tootie!!! I was so nervous about my inspection and it was really just a piece of cake (so to speak icon_smile.gif ). He checked the temp in my frig, looked for all of the proper sinks, just sort of looked around in general and signed the papers. It took about 15 minutes at the most. Whew, I just felt so glad when it was done and I was officially legal!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:36pm
post #13 of 71

Wonderful news. I'm always glad when these posts come up so that we can all rejoice with you. party.gif

YouCaterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouCaterer Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:55pm
post #14 of 71

Way to go ~ I am as jealous as can be but super excited for you!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 9:21pm
post #15 of 71

Congratulations! I'm in the middle of paperwork and I am also an LLC just to protect our assets and it's already in place since I hope to open a storefront in about a year (or less if possible icon_lol.gif ).

Your website looks great! I hope it all goes well for you!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 9:22pm
post #16 of 71

Congratulations! I'm in the middle of paperwork and I am also an LLC just to protect our assets and it's already in place since I hope to open a storefront in about a year (or less if possible icon_lol.gif ).

Your website looks great! I hope it all goes well for you!

tootie0809 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 9:47pm
post #17 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

Good luck Tootie!!! I was so nervous about my inspection and it was really just a piece of cake (so to speak icon_smile.gif ). He checked the temp in my frig, looked for all of the proper sinks, just sort of looked around in general and signed the papers. It took about 15 minutes at the most. Whew, I just felt so glad when it was done and I was officially legal!!

Yeah, I'm super nervous too. I hope mine goes nice and smooth like yours. I will be up meticulously cleaning the rest of the night. I bet you are so relieved it's over and are official now! YEAH!

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:37pm
post #18 of 71

Congratulations!!! Diane!
I am so jealous, a kitchen with no family interruptions!!!! in my dreams.

For Tootie: I'm having my inspection tomorrow morning too. I will too, spend all night cleaning, did most of it last night, and told my family, nobody is allowed in the kitchen thursday night, take out it is.

My inspector asked me to bake a 6" cake, he needs to take a sample to the lab, did they asked this from you too?

I can't wait to post tomorrow some news about my inspection.

IsaSW Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:59pm
post #19 of 71

I am legal too, as of this morning!!!!!!!, kitchen inspection went smooth.
The inspector said: "You can start baking"
In my head I was thinking: I have been baking for a while, the difference is I can start charging now and its legal.
icon_biggrin.gif

Tootie, how did your inspection go?

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:04pm
post #20 of 71

How Exciting and I am very happy for you. Somehow or another I missed seeing what your website is. If you will send it to me I will go have a peek and yes, it would be wonderful if you could take some pics of your place and post them so we could all see. Way to go!! icon_biggrin.gif

tootie0809 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:01pm
post #21 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaSW

I am legal too, as of this morning!!!!!!!, kitchen inspection went smooth.
The inspector said: "You can start baking"
In my head I was thinking: I have been baking for a while, the difference is I can start charging now and its legal.
icon_biggrin.gif

Tootie, how did your inspection go?

Congrats!!! I passed my inspection too, although they were a little pickier than I thought they'd be. They do want me to change a couple things that are pretty minor, but gave me the go-ahead as of now. Now I just have to get my business license from the city (which might include a safety inspector) and I'm good to go. Whew! SOOOOOO glad that's over. Hey there's been a few of us passing inspections this week! This is awesome! icon_smile.gif

Mencked Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:48pm
post #22 of 71

Congrats tootie and IsaSW!! Woo! Hoo!!! Sounds like your inspectors were more meticulous than mine. I had cleaned like crazy and then when we walked into the bathroom I noticed that I had forgotten to clean off the tops of the paper towel dispensers and they were horribly dusty, I mean horribly!!! YIKES! I guess he didn't notice that, but I could have died!! I will post pics of my kitchen soon, (I'm in the middle of cakes), but I'd love to see your kitchens too!! And good luck tracycakes!! It looks like you and I joined CC about the same time and weirdly, we're getting legal at about the same time icon_smile.gif!

Mencked Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:41am
post #23 of 71

Some pics....hopefully! The first picture shows the kitchen after I added a rolling shelf and lots of cake pans. I've added another shelf, a rolling cart and am in the process of finding places for everything. There's still lots of room for more storage.
LL
LL

Mencked Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:53am
post #24 of 71

Because I really stink at uploading pics...here's another. I love the contrast between Big Bertha and my mini-me mixers! I can't believe I used to do everything with just that one little mixer! I found the 20 qt. on Craig's List for $250. It came with the dough hook, whisk attachment and bowl. I found the basic beater paddle on Ebay, got a minor repair to it (seal replacement) and we were good to go!
LL

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:58am
post #25 of 71

Looks great! Congratulations and good luck with your business!!

nattiefu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nattiefu Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #26 of 71

Congratulations to all of you who have passed inspections and are well on your way to successfull business. Hope to follow in your footsteps someday. icon_biggrin.gif

Mencked Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:23am
post #27 of 71

And another....A full Deluxe oven...this oven saves me so much time!!! However, getting ready to bake that many cakes has been a true learning process... It takes quite awhile to crack 56 eggs icon_smile.gif!! I found this oven on Ebay in Iowa. The sellers graciously agreed to meet us half way and now it resides in rural Oklahoma icon_smile.gif!
LL

Mencked Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #28 of 71

The ginormous sink came via Craig's List. It had been built into a wooden cabinet and so had no legs. We had a really great welder add legs and it is so handy (huge) and the dishwasher next to it will do a complete cycle in 8 minutes...I'm planning for the future ya know!
LL

Mencked Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #29 of 71

And here's looking towards the other end of the cake kitchen....various wedding cakes/grooms cakes in progress. The hand sink is past the two tables in the counter. The pantry is on the other side of that far wall.
LL

IsaSW Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:02pm
post #30 of 71

WOW!!!!!
icon_surprised.gif
Diane,
Your space is great. thumbs_up.gif

That double oven is beautiful!!!! May ask, how much does a thing like that costs?
I notice the nail thing in the middle of your pans, I used a heating core twice, but not really happy with the whole it leaves in the cake, what do you use?

Thanks for posting the pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%