The Great Scratch-Off...yellow Cakes

Decorating By Lita829 Updated 31 Jan 2018 , 3:49pm by MBalaska

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #1 of 425

Hi Everyone. Here are the deadlines for the Great Scratch-Off...Yellow Cakes for the month of June:

June 1st: All Yellow Cake Recipes MUST be in for entry into the Scratch-Off. Your selection of the recipes you are going to sample must be in by this time, also.
June 30th: All results must be posted, including pictures, if possible.
July 5th: The results will be tabulated and a winner will be chosen. We can choose someone to be the tabulator.

Rules
1. Please have entries in by the deadline for each month.
2. Each participant must try at least 2 recipes.
3. We should try to have all recipes sampled by at least one person. If someone posts more than one recipe into scratch off, then at least one of their recipes must be chosen.
4. Please have your "results" posts in by the deadline to have your input included.
5. Be honest, but not cruel, with your critique of the recipe.
6. Please follow the recipe and don't make substitutions for ingredients. The recipes can be halved, cut in thirds, or quartered if needed.

Judging Criteria
1. Flavor
2. Texture/Crumb
3. Moistness
3. Ease of Recipe
4. Cost of Recipe
5. Ability to convert into cupcakes

After you comment on all these characteristics, give the recipe an overall score ranging from "0" for Terrible icon_sad.gif to "10" for Excellent icon_biggrin.gif . You can make a suggestion on how the recipe can be improved, if needed, if you want.

All right, Ladies and Gents, get ready to fire up your ovens!

424 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:07am
post #2 of 425

Thanks Darlita! I'm just waiting for the list now then I can give this a try.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:15am
post #3 of 425

So we can choose any scratch yellow cake recipe we so desire?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:20am
post #4 of 425

A list of recipes will be posted and you can choose from that list. We entered recipes on the previous thread.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:31am
post #5 of 425

Can you post a link to the previous thread? I missed it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:37am
post #6 of 425

Here's the previous thread for the Great Scratch Off:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-631286-.html

HTH

P.S. Am moving this thread to the general forum (same forum used for cake decorating challenges). The request for recipes is to advance the bake-off challenge.)

Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:20am
post #7 of 425

Thank you, Jan H for moving the thread icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:29am
post #8 of 425

You're very welcome, Darlita. icon_smile.gif

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:43am
post #9 of 425

Now I dont want to step on any toes or anything... but I was wonering if Lita829 could post of list of the names of the yellow cake recipes submited. I know they are all on the org post but i think a list in this post with the rules and everything else would help alot. Then people would jsut have to find the recipes...

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:09am
post #10 of 425

as AKA_cupcakeshoppe mentioned, someone is compiling the list of recipes so they can all be summarized in this thread thumbs_up.gif. I think if you want the actual recipe after reviewing the list, you'd then need to look it up on that other thread - as opposed to trying to have someone print all of the recipes again here in this thread. Unless someone wants to post it as a document somewhere (they did that for a few other threads, e.g. holiday treats, cupcake recipes, I forget what else. I think fiddlesticks hosts a bunch of those)

Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:20am
post #11 of 425

Here is a list of the Yellow-Cake entries. Some will be written out and others will be provided as links:

Naty submitted:

Great American Cakes
by Barbara Kafka
Gourmet December 1987

Yellow Cake Layers
This is probably America's favorite layer for any kind of cake; it is what the cake-mix people try to imitate and never get right.

Makes two 8-inch layers

2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Into a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter, add sugar gradually, beating, and beat the mixture until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the flour mixture and the milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, add the vanilla, and beat the batter until it is smooth.

Divide the batter between 2 lightly greased and floured 8x1 1/2-inch round cake pans, smoothing the top, rap each pan on a hard surface twice to expel any air bubbles.

Bake the layers in the middle of a preheated 350-degree F oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean and the layers pull away slightly from the sides of the pans. Let the layers cool in the pans on a rack for 8 minutes, run a thin knife around the edge of each pan, and invert the layers onto the racks. Let the layers cool completely.

Lita829 submitted:

Here is my Yellow Cake Recipe:

2 1/4 C flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 C butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1 3/4 C sugar
3 lg eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 C whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2-8 or 9" pans. Sift dry ingredients and set aside. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla and mix. Add dry ingredients, alternating with the milk, mixing well after each addition...beginning and ending with the dry. Bake layers 30-40 min.

AND

Here is Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake Recipe:

2 1/4 C sifted Cake Flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks of butter
2 C granulated sugar
4 Lg egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla
1C sour cream
4 Lg egg whites

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare and line 2-8X3" or one 12X3 inch pan with parchment.

Sift togather dry ingredients and set aside. Cream butter until light and fluffy, about 2 min. Add sugar and continue to combine until fluffy and light. Add yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.

Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients, alternating with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat for 1 min.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter with rubber spatula.

Bake 8" layers 45-50 min and the 12" pan 60 min or until golden brown.

Ceshell's Not So Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups cake flour (self-raising)
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon zest

Prepare 3 x 9in round 2in deep pans (line with parchment)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 mins). Add eggs one at a time combining well after each addition. Add flour alternately with the milk and lemon juice in four parts mixing well after each addition. Divide the batter equally between the 3 pans and bake for 25 mins (check after 20) until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the centre and the cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pans for 10 mins and then turn out onto racks to cool completely. Fill and frost as desired. Serves 12-16 wedges.

AKA_CupcakeShoppe submitted:

Paula Deen's 1234 cake
Basic 1-2-3-4 Cake:

http://recipes.pauladeen.com/index.php/recipes/view/basic_1_2_3_4_cake/

AND

Gold Cake
http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/bake/bake_detail_gold_cake.html

LostBaker submitted:

The recipe I quite like :
All-Purpose Buttery Yellow Cake
The Americas Test Kitchen Family Cookbook Copyright 2006

2 ¼ cups cake flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
226 g unsalted butter, softened [needs less, try 205]
1 ¾ cups sugar [1 ½ c]
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups whole milk, at room temperature

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 340 degrees. Lightly coat two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans or 1 9x13-inch cake pan with vegetable oil spray, then line the bottoms with parchment paper. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl and set aside.*
2. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 6 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated, scraping down the bowl and beaters as needed. Beat in the vanilla.
3. Reduce the speed to low and beat in one-third of the flour mixture. Beat in half of the milk. Repeat with half of the remaining flour mixture, then the remaining milk, and finally the remaining flour mixture.
4. Give the batter a final stir using a rubber spatula to make sure it is thoroughly combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s) and smooth the top. Bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the cake(s) comes out with a few crumbs attached, 20 to 25 minutes for the sheet cake, rotating the pan(s) halfway through baking.
5. Let the cake(s) cool in the pan(s) on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run a paring knife around the edge of the cake(s) to loosen, then flip out onto the racks. Flip the cake(s) upright, discard the parchment, and let cool completely before frosting 1 to 2 hours.

AND

Vanilla Buttermilk Recipe from Sky High

Makes one three-layer 9-inch round cake [can be reduced of course]
3 3/4 cups cake flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon plus 2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 sticks (10 ounces) [283 g] unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups plus 1/3 cup buttermilk
5 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter three 9-inch round cake pans. Line the bottom of each pan with a round of parchment or waxed paper and butter the paper.
2. Combine the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixer bowl. With the mixer on low speed, blend for 30 seconds. Add the butter and 1 1/4 cup of the buttermilk. Mix on low speed briefly to blend; then raise the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and the remaining 1/3 cup buttermilk until well blended. Pour one-third of the egg mixture into the cake batter at a time, folding it in completely after each addition. There will be 9 cups of batter; our 3 cups batter into each pan.
4. Bake for 26 to 28 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Turn the layers out onto wire racks by placing a rack on top of a pan, inverting it, and lifting off the pan. Peel off the paper liners and let cool completely. When the layers have cooled, place a cardboard cake board on top of a layer, invert again, and lift off the rack. To make the layers easier to handle, wrap them on their boards completely in plastic, so they dont dry out, and refrigerate them.

Maryjsgirl submitted:

White on White Buttermilk Cake
http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/White-on-White-Buttermilk-Cake-with-Jack-Daniels-Buttercream/7175/

TheCasualKitchen submitted:

The All-Occasion Downy Yellow Cake
http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/632909-All-Occasion-Downy-Yellow-Butter-Cake

Tiffraine submitted:

Cakeman Raven's Red Velvet I modified into a yellow and lighter cake:

Yellow Cake
Preheat oven to 350
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon table salt
Make sure to use both:
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 c sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk (well shaken)
1 1/2 c. good quality canola or veg. oil
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix the above together well for a couple minutes. Pour in greased and floured pans and bake until toothpick comes out clean..

Hope you all can try it. For extra cake tenderness, line the pans with parchment(not wax) paper.

Here is a link to the original recipe if you are unsure how to mix:

Cakeman Raven(famous NY baker/decorator)
Red Velvet:

http://www.cakemanraven.com/recipe.htm

K8Memphis submitted:

Golden Cake

6 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups milk at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 # butter or margarine or 1 1/3 cups margarine with 2/3 cups vegetable shortening
(the margarine is not vegetable spread)
4 cups sugar
8 eggs at room temperature
2 teaspoons lemon extract
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind (optional)

Preheat oven to 325. Sift flour with baking powder and salt and set aside. Combine milk and vanilla and set aside. Cream butter until light, add sugar gradually, continue to cream until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in lemon extract (and rind). Add dry ingredients alternately with milk beginning and ending with the dry and adding about one sixth of the total at a time. Beat just until smooth. Spoon into 1 ungreased 13" and 1 ungreased 7" pan lined on the bottom with wax or parchment paper filling no more than half full - this is a high-rising batter. Bake larger layer 60-65 mins until it pulls from the sides of the pan and is springy to the touch. Cool upright in pan on wire rack 10 mins then loosen and invert on rack peel off paper turn right side up and cool thoroughly. If you make 3 batches you get two 13", two 7" and two 10 " layers. Make cupcakes with any leftover batter.
This is from The New Doubleday Cookbook 1975.

Real good cake. And this recipe is not real fussy - can be halved. Excellent.

I hope I got all the recipes and didn't miss anyone.

CakeandDazzle Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:24am
post #12 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

as AKA_cupcakeshoppe mentioned, someone is compiling the list of recipes so they can all be summarized in this thread thumbs_up.gif. I think if you want the actual recipe after reviewing the list, you'd then need to look it up on that other thread - as opposed to trying to have someone print all of the recipes again here in this thread. Unless someone wants to post it as a document somewhere (they did that for a few other threads, e.g. holiday treats, cupcake recipes, I forget what else. I think fiddlesticks hosts a bunch of those)

Thanks I missed AKA_cupcakeshoppes's post! The doc your talking about I think is a google doc... they used it for ummm..... gormet cake flavors (WASC)... a great doc btw!! even for scratch bakers!

If some one has the list I can either transfer all the recipes or make a google doc! Let me know!

CakeandDazzle Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:28am
post #13 of 425

well nevermind then!! looks like we were posting at the same time!!

Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:30am
post #14 of 425

I tried to go onto Toba Garrett's Website to post her "Ultimate Yellow Cake" recipe but it would not allow me access.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:56am
post #15 of 425

Question about Ceshell's Not So Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery! In the recipe it calls for self rising cake flour. I have never seen this. I would like to try this, but I know I won't be able to get a hold of that.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:07am
post #16 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Question about Ceshell's Not So Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery! In the recipe it calls for self rising cake flour. I have never seen this. I would like to try this, but I know I won't be able to get a hold of that.

To make self-rising flour:

For EACH cup of self-rising flour, sift together 2 or 3 times the following: 1 cup flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Recipe submitted by ~Donna~ V on 5/1/00

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:15am
post #17 of 425

I also suggested Serious_Cake's yellow cake recipe from her youtube videos, but I understand if this was vetoed because of the shortening or something, whereas the others are butter-based.

I'm excited to begin! Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:29am
post #18 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

I also suggested Serious_Cake's yellow cake recipe from her youtube videos, but I understand if this was vetoed because of the shortening or something, whereas the others are butter-based.

I'm excited to begin! Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow.

Well the Cake Man recipe calls for oil and I am choosing it as one of my recipes to try. So I don't think anyone was prejudice against the shortening. I think your entry may have just been overlooked. If I remember right you didn't post a link or recipe right, just a name?

I would like to see more varied recipes like a shortening base. It seems like we have a lot of 1-2-3-4 based ones. It would be neat to have different methods like Billy's cupcakes or Cook's Illustrated where you add the fat to the dry first then add the liquids.

But, this is our first scratch off I am sure we will learn and tweak as we go along.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:37am
post #19 of 425

yeah some of the recipes are almost alike. i do know that the mermaid bakery and paula deen's are similar. i have tried the sky high cake which is basically one bowl it was good but turned out very dense. so am gonna try recipes that i haven't tried before.

i'll do the cakeman recipe.

sayhellojana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:48am
post #20 of 425

I use cakeman's recipe for my red velvet and its awesome. I'm assuming that it would have the same texture without the cocoa or red coloring, so it's probably really good icon_smile.gif

lostbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostbaker Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:20am
post #21 of 425

So here's a name only list, which will be updated regularly, to show who's doing which cake, and if any are left out. For the recipes, we can go to Lita's post on page 1.

Great American Cakes by Barbara Kafka
Lita's Yellow Cake Recipe
Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake Recipe
Ceshell's Not So Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery
Paula Deen's 1234 cake
Gold Cake
All-Purpose Buttery Yellow Cake from Americas Test Kitchen
The All-Occasion Downy Yellow Cake
Cakeman Raven's Modified Red Velvet
K8Memphis' Golden Cake
Toba Garett's Ultimate Yellow Cake
Serious_Cakes Yellow Cake
So thats 13

Are we including the White on White too? I thought we were going to do the white's in another month?

sayhellojana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:38am
post #22 of 425

I have made Serious_Cake's recipe about a trillion times so of course I will comment on that. I love that recipe and it is currently my go-to. We'll see if any of these can sway me! lol.

I plan on trying The All-Occasion Downy Yellow Cake and either Toba Garett's or K8Memphi's Golden cake.

Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:13am
post #23 of 425

I apologize, Hellojana, it was an oversight. I looked over the initial thread several time to try to avoid missing someone's entry...I guess my eyes are getting old, too icon_redface.gif .

Here is the Serious Cakes recipe, submitted by HelloJana:

If if didn't post correctly, the video along with the ingredient list is on YouTube.

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:28am
post #24 of 425

Yes, so there are 14 recipes.........right? Thirteen in the first-mentioned group, polus the serious_cakes recipe on youtube!
I like that we now have at least one cake each using butter, oil, and shortening. Gives people many options......

Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:36am
post #25 of 425

Yes...there are 14 recipes, the initial list plus Toba Garett's Ultimate Yellow Cake and Serious Cakes Yellow Cake icon_smile.gif

Can someone post Toba Garrett's recipe? I can't seem to get through to her page. icon_sad.gif

giraffe11 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:38am
post #26 of 425

Toba's is on epicurious . com under "Moist Yellow Cake". I will try to post a link.......
edited to add.....here it is
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/MOIST-YELLOW-CAKE-109358

giraffe11 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:42am
post #27 of 425

Darlita, Do you mind going back and editing your post on page one to add the 2 links.....to serious cakes and the Toba cake? It would be less confusing that way.......if they are all in the one post. Then lost baker could add those two to her "name list" as well....and then we'd be all caught up???!!.....OH, it's a different one that lost baker is missing. Well, anyway....you get the idea.

giraffe11 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:49am
post #28 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbaker

So here's a name only list, which will be updated regularly, to show who's doing which cake, and if any are left out. For the recipes, we can go to Lita's post on page 1.

Are we including the White on White too? I thought we were going to do the white's in another month?

Lostbaker........I think we had decided to go ahead and include it, .....since it has 3 sticks of butter in it it comes out kind of yellow? icon_lol.gif
I am baking it anyway, independent of the bake-off, so I can comment on it too.

giraffe11 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:55am
post #29 of 425

OK, here is what I'm doing:

Great American Cakes by Barbara Kafka
Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake Recipe

Oh, and I'm also baking:
White on White Buttermilk Cake for a cake order.....so I can comment on that

If I have time at the end of the month, I may add......
Cakeman Raven's Modified Red Velvet
Serious_Cakes Yellow Cake

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:57am
post #30 of 425

I've been following these 2 threads from the beginning and am excited to try out some new recipes and to hear feedback from people on other recipes - thanks for putting this all together!

so... forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question...
Are you saying that you need to "register" to participate? I can't guarantee that I'll have time to try at least 2 cakes, so I'm hesitant to do that. But what if I can? Can I post my "results" even if I haven't "registered" in the beginning?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%