Sugar Tiles From Tonights Cake Challenge

Sugar Work By momma28 Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 10:03pm by JGMB

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:01am
post #1 of 68

Ok I need to make those sugar tiles that Jennifer made for the bachelor challenge on food network tonight. Were those silicon ice cube molds that she used...isomalt or sugar...ugh. I am dying to try that. Anyone know how?

67 replies
Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:11am
post #2 of 68

I recorded it and I heard her say isomalt. It looked like ice cube trays...
Not sure how to do it

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:16am
post #3 of 68

Those were the coolest. What is isomalt, hoping not to sound stupid.

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #4 of 68

That was the most beautiful idea for a cake! I loved it, but have never done anything like that. Would love to learn how to do that.

momma28 Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:23am
post #5 of 68

where can I get isomalt...time to learn a new skill LOL my hubby calls me a cakeaholic icon_smile.gif

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:24am
post #6 of 68

It is a sugar substitute. You can buy it online at MANY sites

sandykay Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #7 of 68

Thanks, I just saw the tutioral on Friday for the Beer bottles and want to try that so I wasn't sure if was something other than sugar..ie the isomalt. What is the advantage of using isomalt over sugar?

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #8 of 68

I heard someone on the mention mention that they were just ice cube trays. I have an order ready to go on Country Kitchen and just did a search, they have isomalt for $9.95/lb (2 cups)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:29am
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandykay

Thanks, I just saw the tutioral on Friday for the Beer bottles and want to try that so I wasn't sure if was something other than sugar..ie the isomalt. What is the advantage of using isomalt over sugar?

You can get isomalt hotter than sugar. When sugar gets hot enough it usually goes a little caramel color so you cannot retain the clear colorless quality. Isomalt does not respond to the humidity as much. You can re-melt isomalt but not sugar. Sugar is much cheaper.

When you work with sugar you need to have some equipment like a heat lamp and a torch at a minimum.

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:36am
post #10 of 68

Bummer I missed this. We got rid of cable.

-K8memphis Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:53am
post #11 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandykay

You can get isomalt hotter than sugar. When sugar gets hot enough it usually goes a little caramel color so you cannot retain the clear colorless quality. Isomalt does not respond to the humidity as much. You can re-melt isomalt but not sugar. Sugar is much cheaper.

When you work with sugar you need to have some equipment like a heat lamp and a torch at a minimum.

Well rather than saying you can get it hotter, I mean you can but it actually can also be used at a lower temp--I'm no sugar guru but I've been playing with it lately. It's a lot of fun.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:54am
post #12 of 68

k8memphis, where do you find your best price?

-K8memphis Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:58am
post #13 of 68

I did not comparison shop--I get lost in the details--I got mine from ChefRubber.com --27 pounds for eighty something dollars.

Someone else will probably speak up with a better deal here any minute.

icon_biggrin.gif

momma28 Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:17am
post #14 of 68

I dont think they could be regular ice cube trays because they are tapered and these tiles were perfectly rectangular.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:30am
post #15 of 68

Sometimes you can buy Isomalt at stores at "whole food"-type stores in the bulk section. I have only purchased it online once - from pastrychef.com, but I think they were higher priced than what k8 quoted from chefrubber.

momma28 Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:38am
post #16 of 68

found the trays she used at target.com for anyone interested. They are silicone and not taperedicon_smile.gif I am going to get some and play. I think I will try just starting with sugar since I would color them anyway and it is so much cheaper.

lflowermoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lflowermoon Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:42am
post #17 of 68

icon_eek.gif ...Those tiles were amagazing! But after buying isomalt and trays....what we do? Instructions anyone? icon_biggrin.gif

momma28 Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:45am
post #18 of 68

been researching online flowermoon...looks like any other hard candy. Heat to 300, flavor, clor and pour into the trays. If using sugar there is a recommendation on baking 9 1 1 to heat only to 290 to avoid alot of caramel color and also heat as fast as possible (highest heat your stovetop will go to) to avoid the mallaird effect browning the protiens inthe sugar.

lflowermoon Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:47am
post #19 of 68

You were fast! Which isle? How much?

PSLCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PSLCakeLady Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:49am
post #20 of 68

Wilton has silicon brownie trays that will do the trick. You have to boil the isomalt with 10 percent water, brush down the sides with water, do not stir. using a thermometer, the sugar has to come to a certain temperature, then you swirl in your food color which will bring the temperature back down slightly. Once it comes back up to temperature, quickly take it off the heat and shock the bottom of the pan in cold water to stop the cooking. You can then pour into the molds.

It's late and I unfortunately don't have the exact temperature so you'll have to research this a little...I want to say it's 315F but please don't quote me, double check on that.

Disclaimer: severe burns can occur with hot sugar icon_cry.gif

lflowermoon Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:53am
post #21 of 68

how do you cool it down? do you mix it with water? Thanks!

lflowermoon Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:58am
post #22 of 68

icon_redface.gif I guess I am tired too...You said Target.com. Found them! Thanks everybody!

PSLCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PSLCakeLady Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:59am
post #23 of 68

No, don't do that. You have your pot with the hot sugar mix and have some cold water pooling in your sink ready when you need it. Just dunk the very bottom of the pan in the water, just enough to allow the cold water to "shock" the hot pan to stop the cooking process.

ONE MORE MAJORLY IMPORTANT THING: I don't know why Keegan said it was an ice tray because it was not. If you use a good ole' ice tray it will melt and make a heaping mess and you do not want to touch the sugar when it is hot or you will get severe burns. Use a silicone tray....the ones she used were the Wilton ones that have multiple cavities. I saw them at the store and I want to say Wilton is marketing it as a brown pan or something but it is silicone so it works and that is exactly what she had, just groups of them.

JamieGurl33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieGurl33 Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:06am
post #24 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

I dont think they could be regular ice cube trays because they are tapered and these tiles were perfectly rectangular.

I believe she used something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NO3ZGY/?tag=cakecentral-20

I am SO excited to try this! I'm getting married in a year and making my own wedding cake... I had no idea what I wanted to do until tonight, and now my fiance and I am psyched to design a cake with these tiles!

JamieGurl33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieGurl33 Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:10am
post #25 of 68

Is it possible to flavor the isomalt when making these tiles, I wonder???

I mean peppermint obviously... But will it mess with the consistency? And what about flavors other than peppermint, how would I achieve this?

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:20pm
post #26 of 68

I just ordered my silicone trays from Amazon to try this out, and I noticed that they come in alot of different shapes. I ordered the squares plus the stars, hearts, shells, orcas, and another pkg with numbers. You can also get an alphabet set. Thought to mention it in case anybody wanted to try different shapes as well.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:09pm
post #28 of 68

Loved the show! I really liked Jennifer's and Anne's cakes the best! And her ice cube trays were little silicone trays. I wonder where she got them?

sandykay Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:53am
post #29 of 68

Thanks for the info. I've always been fascinated with sugar work, I'd love to learn pulled sugar, but I don't think Fla is the best place to learn.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:08am
post #30 of 68

I really like the waves she did on the cake. It looked like she did the upper part of the tier blue, the lower part green, fading down to blue. Then what looked like royal icing brushed embroidery technique to make these really lush, frothy looking waves at the point it went from green (water) to blue (sky). Incredible!

I loved the tiles too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%