Novels With Cake Decorating Hero/heroine

Lounge By moreCakePlz Updated 19 Mar 2013 , 3:58pm by shanter

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 63

I just finished reading a romance novel (Falling for Gracie) where the heroine was a cake decorator. It was kinda neat reading about fondant, doweling, gumpaste flowers, box mix vs scratch, etc, etc in a novel.

Does anyone know of other fiction novels that have bakers, chefs or cake decorators as the hero or heroine?

PS: Gracie talks about one cake she is making that serves 50 people and cost $1000. That is $20 a serving! Talk about educating the general public on cake prices.

62 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 63

There is a mystery series where the leading character is a caterer. There are recipes throughout the book icon_smile.gif I can't remember the name of them right now. I think the main character's name is Goldie.

yvonne123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvonne123 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 63

The series with the caterer is written by Dianne Mott Davidson, I really enjoyed them.

teddybr218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddybr218 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 63

The author that wrote Falling for Gracie, has a couple of series. I am off to Libary to pick up some of her books, then look real good.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 63

can anyone tell me the author's name? thanks icon_biggrin.gif

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonne123

The series with the caterer is written by Dianne Mott Davidson, I really enjoyed them.

she's awesome!!!!! and she lives in colorado! icon_lol.gif

Joanne Fluke has a mystery series with a main character who owns a bakery.

Jerrilyn Farmer's character is a caterer.

I know there are a few others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head...check the library or Borders...

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 63

I just finished "Eat Cake" by Jeanne Ray. I picked it up because of the title! haha. It's more about baking than decorating, but I LOVED it!!

I also checked out "Sweet Revenge" by Diane Mott Davidson. Glad to know it's recommended my fellow CCers! icon_smile.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 63

Susan Mallery wrote Falling for Gracie! I think I may just have to read it!

thanks

Looks like she has a series called the Bakery Sisters - it's about a family bakery - not sure how much it goes into cake decorating but it looks like something I would read - I'm going to grab them!!

#1 Sweet Talk
#2 Sweet Spot
#3 Sweet Trouble

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 63

I love finding new titles for my hold list at the library. Thanks for the ideas - I have them all on hold now.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 63

I've read all the Diane Mott Davidson books! I'm caught up with the series icon_cry.gif so now I have to wait for each new book. The only issue I have with Goldie is how much she manages to accomplish in a day... huge catered events, and OBTW, a murder here and there happens to be solved while she's cooking up her best recipes. icon_lol.gif

The other series I love is by Isis Crawford. Two sisters take over the bake shop their mother started and, OBTW, a murder here and there happens to be solved while they cook up their best recipes. icon_lol.gif

saycheese Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 63

oh oh oh!!!

and the Dianne Mott Davidson books have the recipes of the stuff she makes in the story in the back of the book! icon_biggrin.gif

shannon100 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 63

Win, Is it important to read the Diane Mott Davidson books in order? I hate reading books out of order if I can help it!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #13 of 63

And don't forget that Stephanie Plum, Janet Evanovich's heroine in the numbered books series, worked in a bakery when she met the adorable hunk Joe Morelli. They fooled around behind the bakery counter, and he even nicknamed her Cupcake!

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:12pm
post #14 of 63

At Christmas there was a paperback out with 4 stories by different authors one had a boarding school teacher who had a friend who was a baker came with 12 recipes of different desserts she made for the kids. Wish I new the name for you.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #15 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

Susan Mallery wrote Falling for Gracie! I think I may just have to read it!

thanks

Looks like she has a series called the Bakery Sisters - it's about a family bakery - not sure how much it goes into cake decorating but it looks like something I would read - I'm going to grab them!!

#1 Sweet Talk
#2 Sweet Spot
#3 Sweet Trouble

I just finished reading Sweet Trouble last night. The heroine is baking brownies. They mention chocolate cake, but nothing about decorating.

swe3ts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swe3ts Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:30pm
post #16 of 63

Icing On The Cake by Laura Castoro is a good one its about a woman whose husband leaves her for a younger chick. But over all that she has a bakery that she is trying to keep going then her ex has and accident and never changed his will now she has to deal with ex's new girl and her buisness. What hooked me though was the beautiful cake on the cover hahaha.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:28pm
post #17 of 63

To detour from the cake book subject a little...

I found a new author that I really like. Shes brand new and just wrote her first book. It was hilarious! Laugh out loud til you cry funny.

Her name is Molly Harper and her book is called : Nice Girls Dont Have Fangs and yes it is a vampire book, in case you couldnt tell by the title.

She has two more books coming out this year, and I thought I would pass her name along. I am always looking for something new to read, in fact I just orders half of Susan Mallery's books from Mobius and a couple of Diane Mott Davidson's too!

You ladies are great!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #18 of 63

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this book yet but Carol Steward wrote a book called "Shield of Refuge" last Fall and it was very good. The gal in the book is a cake decorator who is obviously Wilton trained but it's funny, as I was reading how she was making hundreds of royal icing flowers on Thursday for her Saturday wedding cake I burst out laughing. Here's a link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0373443153/?tag=cakecentral-20

Win Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon100

Win, Is it important to read the Diane Mott Davidson books in order? I hate reading books out of order if I can help it!

I would highly recommend that the books be read in order since they do have a consistent list of characters that are followed throughout (and a central story line that is as well). I love them and was sad when I got caught up because then I could just pick one right up after the other and keep things going. detective.gif

Win Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #20 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this book yet but Carol Steward wrote a book called "Shield of Refuge" last Fall and it was very good. The gal in the book is a cake decorator who is obviously Wilton trained but it's funny, as I was reading how she was making hundreds of royal icing flowers on Thursday for her Saturday wedding cake I burst out laughing. Here's a link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0373443153/?tag=cakecentral-20

I'm grabbing that one! Thanks!

I'm a foodie, so I love all these suggestions! Thanks, everyone! I'm also a coffee addict and there is a great 'Coffee House Series' by Cleo Coyle. I love the punny titles: Latte Trouble, On What Grounds, etc.
I think there's about seven of those.

shannon100 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:32pm
post #21 of 63
Quote:
Quote:

I would highly recommend that the books be read in order since they do have a consistent list of characters that are followed throughout (and a central story line that is as well). I love them and was sad when I got caught up because then I could just pick one right up after the other and keep things going

Thanks Win! I have the 3rd book. Grr. Back to the library tomorrow to see if they have the first 2!! I hope they do! (I'm in a very small town with a tiny library. icon_sad.gif )

saycheese Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:11pm
post #22 of 63
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I would highly recommend that the books be read in order since they do have a consistent list of characters that are followed throughout (and a central story line that is as well). I love them and was sad when I got caught up because then I could just pick one right up after the other and keep things going

Thanks Win! I have the 3rd book. Grr. Back to the library tomorrow to see if they have the first 2!! I hope they do! (I'm in a very small town with a tiny library. icon_sad.gif )

good idea...you will get to know Goldie's history...great story line. you will love her.

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #23 of 63

Jayde, since you like books in that genre, have you read "Sunshine" by Robin McKinley? The title character is a baker ... more cinnamon rolls than cake decorating, but I like the respect with which McKinley speaks of the trade. icon_razz.gif

Vampires and baking ... who needs more? icon_biggrin.gif

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:15am
post #24 of 63
Quote:

I just finished "Eat Cake" by Jeanne Ray. I picked it up because of the title! haha. It's more about baking than decorating, but I LOVED it!!

I just finished this one. Thankfully the library had it. I really loved it too.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:51pm
post #25 of 63

"Just Desserts" by Barbara Bretton- very good book. icon_smile.gif A story about a girl who owns a bakery, makes a drum set cake for an aging rocker, and falls in love along the way.... awe... icon_wink.gif LOL.

As for the caterer providing desserts for the kids at school during Christmas break, I have that book at home but can't think of the name of it right now. I'll try to remember to post the name of it tonight.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #26 of 63

The one's by Susan Mallory don't have much decorating in them.

Nora Roberts new Series that she just started is about 4 friends that run a Wedding business. One's a photographer, one's a florist, one's a cake decorator, and the 4th runs everything. The first one just came out called Visions in White. It's about the photographer. I really enjoyed it, because even though it's mainly about the one you get insight into the other girls jobs.

Then there's also one...I can't remember the name. The main character runs her own bakery, and is trying to lease out the other shops around her store just to find out she got denied, and her shop is in danger because some big time Grocery store bought out the property. The store's lawyer comes in to convince her to sell... they get together... Does that sound familiar to anyone else???? It was really cute.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:27pm
post #27 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambugjoebear

"Just Desserts" by Barbara Bretton- very good book. icon_smile.gif A story about a girl who owns a bakery, makes a drum set cake for an aging rocker, and falls in love along the way.... awe... icon_wink.gif LOL.

As for the caterer providing desserts for the kids at school during Christmas break, I have that book at home but can't think of the name of it right now. I'll try to remember to post the name of it tonight.

That Just Desserts one sounds awesome! icon_biggrin.gif

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:35pm
post #28 of 63

I'm so glad I happened upon this thread. Thanks for all these book titles and authors! I'm heading to my county library's website to start placing reserves right now. I love any books with cooking, baking, decorating, and even (maybe even especially) vampires. icon_smile.gif
Any idea, Melody25, what the name of the first book in the Nora Roberts series was?

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:03pm
post #29 of 63

Visions in White. You can get in the Trade Size Paperback for about $11 from Wal Mart

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:02pm
post #30 of 63

Has anyone read "Cream Puff Murder"? by Joanne Fluke? She also has a book called "Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder" & "Fatally Flakey"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%