I Made A Tutorial For A Madhatter/topsy Turvy Cake

Decorating By deliciously_decadent Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 10:09am by butterfly831915

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:29am
post #1 of 64

hi guys i made a tutorial (quite indepth) about how to make a topsy trurvy wonky style madhatter cake here is the link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deliciously_decadent/sets/72157616259103302/
please feel free to ask any and all questions as i am only too happy to help icon_biggrin.gif

63 replies
JayTeresa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JayTeresa Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:06am
post #2 of 64

Thank you so much, it's fantastic!!!! Can't wait to try it out. thumbs_up.gif

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:14am
post #3 of 64

Thats a great tutorial. I'm still lost at the second tier and getting it on there but I think that I can follow the pics! lol!! Thank you so much for taking the time to do that!

Kim

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:18am
post #4 of 64

Wow! Thanks for spending all that time making a fabulous tutorial

deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:19am
post #5 of 64

no problem guys, what is it that you aren't sure about the second tier? let me know and i will try to help make it clearer!! but incase this may help: place each dowel in the bottom tier and mark so that your dowels will be flush/level with the cake remove and cut them then place back in the cake. moisten small dollops of fondant slightly and stick over the holes/dowels on the bottom cake, pipe on some RI so that the cake board of the upper tier will 'glue' itself the the lower tier. usinf the hole you have predrilled in the base of the cake board thread the upper tier over the support dowel an d lower it onto the bottom tier. try to hold the cake at the correct angle so that it threads straight and voila!

JayTeresa Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:29am
post #6 of 64

Hi I was just looking at all your other pics on Flick and they are just amazing. I was just wondering what gauge wire you use and also was wondering where you get buy you're supplies from? I'm in Australia and am trying to find some good local suppliers.
Thanks icon_smile.gif

deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:37am
post #7 of 64

Thankyou!! i use differntent guage wire for different things what where you wanting it for? i get most of my supplies from carolines sugar art services in SA (im in QLD but they ship) i also get some stuff at spotlight and craft stores etc. the wires used for the stars in the cake on the tute are 18 guage

JayTeresa Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:57am
post #8 of 64

Thanks, I noticed on one of your cakes on Flickr you had balls threaded onto the wire and was curious as to what gauge it was. I will check out Carolines thanks. I get bits and pieces from spotlight but they are very slack at keeping there shelves stocked. Sorry for asking so many questions but i'm new to this and there is so much to lears.
Thanks again.

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:07am
post #9 of 64

thanx!

deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:08am
post #10 of 64

no problem at all, never apologise for asking questions!! thats how we learn, i am tottally happy to help!! yep any cake spikes (wires comming out the top) with heavier items on it or quite high is 18 guage florists wire. yep spotlight are shocking!! but we have got next to no suppliers here so most of mine comes from carolines but if i see stuff in craft shops or spotlight i grab it all haha!!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:09am
post #11 of 64

adatay thank you so much, you make it look easier,I will try it one day when i get the courage,it doesnt look so bad now.

deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:14am
post #12 of 64

glad to help! be sure to let me know by posting here or pm/ing me so i can have a look when you do make one!!

Babs2Him Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs2Him Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:20am
post #13 of 64

I'll be sure to check this out! I plan on doing one for my daughter's 3rd birthday in July. She asked for a pink cake, and I told her that I'll make her a crazy pink cake. She asks me to make it for her all the time.

cakeladyatLA Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:29am
post #14 of 64

I have 1 question:
Can you give me your recipe for a sturdy cake, that actualy tastes good?
and also the recipe for the ganache, they always say is just chocolate and cream but there are sooooo many kinds of chocolates that it confuses me.
Thanx again.

Patty*

deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:34am
post #15 of 64

hi patty, any good mudcake or pound cake i think you call it? is fine (sorry if i told you my recipe i would have to kill you lol!!) ganache is easy, cooking chocolate melted mixed with cream at a ratio of 2:1 (2 x choc to 1x cream) leave to cool until the cosistency od whipped cream or BC to use on the cake

cakeladyatLA Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:49am
post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by adatay

hi patty, any good mudcake or pound cake i think you call it? is fine (sorry if i told you my recipe i would have to kill you lol!!) ganache is easy, cooking chocolate melted mixed with cream at a ratio of 2:1 (2 x choc to 1x cream) leave to cool until the cosistency od whipped cream or BC to use on the cake

LOL ok, but what kind of chocolate though?

deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:58am
post #17 of 64

some say you have to use the most expensive imported choclate which probably tastes great but i find your basic cookin melts are easy to melt and mix and taste great too! really up to you what you find easy to use vs quality etc

cookiesbyms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesbyms Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:50am
post #18 of 64

Hi I was wondering if this happens to you when you use ganche. I just bought the planet cake book and used their receipe for white choc ganche. I then covered my cake in fondant, later that day the fondant began to look droopy and when we cut the cake the ganche underneth had melted. It said in the planet cake book not to put the cake in the fridge. Not sure what went wrong.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:50am
post #19 of 64

That is so awesome! Thanks for sharing!! =o)

cookiesbyms Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:21pm
post #20 of 64

Opps icon_redface.gif I forgot to say thanks that was a great tutorial, it's wonderful when people take the time to do these as they are so helpful.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:31pm
post #21 of 64

Wow...your tutorial is amazing!!

THANK YOU for being so generous with us icon_smile.gif .

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:06pm
post #22 of 64

Wow! that's a great tutorial. Thank you so much. icon_biggrin.gif

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #23 of 64

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I really liked it. I need to make a couple of this cakes for next month and this information will be very helpful.

deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:15pm
post #24 of 64

glad to help!!
cookiesbyms: i live in humid temps and everything can go a bit crazy in these climates, make sure you havn't added to much cream as ganache willl melt quickly if you have, white choc has a quicker melting point as it is softer to start with so you can erer on the cautious side and add a little less cream than the 2:1 raito, i do if i know it is going to be humid, use alchohol not water to attach the fondant as it evaporated and also kills any surface bacteria so that no germs grow between your layers and finaly if the humidity goes nuts leave the cake in an airconditioned room

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:15am
post #25 of 64

Thank you for the wonderful tutorial. I would like to try it in the next couple of weeks for a fundraiser at our school (Wizard of Oz theme). I was wondering, are all of the layers carved the same way? What size cakes did you use. I would like to do a 2 layer cake. Four seems very intimidating. Thanks for sharing.

deliciously_decadent Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:57am
post #26 of 64

yep each tier is done the same way, but the smaller top tiers from 6" and smaller i would recomend you only use a 1" smaller vase card instead of 2" as it is quite hard to cover the small tiers if the base is to skinny, as you get more confident you can make the bases smaller, i know do all my bases 3" smaller then the cake. the four tier in the tute is a 12"10"8"6" so the cake boards i used were 10"8"6"4"
i think for a two tier the best sizes are 10"and 8" cakes which feed about 46 desert sizes (i use the earlene chart not wilton) let me know when you post so i can check out your work!!

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:47am
post #27 of 64

Thank you, the tutorial is awesome. I never understood the process before. Now I am definitely going to give it a try!

cookiesbyms Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:56am
post #28 of 64

Adatay thanks so much for your help with my ganche problems. Now that I read what you had to say I'm 100% sure that I added too much cream. Will definetly give it another go. THANKS

hazelnut77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelnut77 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:12am
post #29 of 64

Thanks for taking the time and doing this...i really been wanting to try a topsy turvy..now i just might icon_smile.gif

deliciously_decadent Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:25am
post #30 of 64

glad to help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%