Do You Use Straws For Your Wires?

Decorating By CakesIMake Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 6:02pm by Cakepro

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:38am
post #1 of 18

Is there any other way to cover up the wire besides straws? I talked to someone that said that it is ok to just put the wires right into the cake & people just overreact about covering them up...I'm not too sure if I should really take her advice or not. So do you guys really cover them up or just stick them straight into the cake?

17 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:42am
post #2 of 18

Yeah, you should not take her advice. Wire does not belong in cake. You do not know its origin or (more importantly) its composition, and there could very well be a high lead content, as lead is a very easily bendable metal.

Unless you can find pure stainless steel wire and you sanitize it before sticking it in the cake, you will need to put straws in the cake and put your wires in the straws. I pipe either royal icing or buttercream in the straws so the wires stay put. It's very easy to do.

Please educate your friend. thumbs_up.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:42am
post #3 of 18

I use straws. Because of course, plastic in your cake is much healthier than metal, right? icon_twisted.gif Seriously though, it makes my clients feel better and straws are cheap enough so that's what I do.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:33am
post #4 of 18

Hi, you shouldn't stick the wires straight in the cake! I always use posy pick/flower picks. You need in put a little bit of fondant in there and insert the wires. Here is a link from Global Sugar Art,

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=672&s=30

I also have used straws too! icon_smile.gif

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:13am
post #5 of 18

When you say straws,do you mean drinking straws or are there special ones? icon_confused.gif

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:55am
post #6 of 18

You can also dip your wires in melted chocolate or white chocolate. I used white almond bark. Worked great.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:56am
post #7 of 18

If it's individual wires, I use the coffee stir straws; if it's several, then I use a regular drinking straw....

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:17am
post #8 of 18

Aren't you glad you asked, CakesIMake? Wow, great answers! You couldn't get this much info out of any book!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:19am
post #9 of 18

Regular drinking straw should be fine

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:32am
post #10 of 18

I made a pooh cake recently (IN my pictures) and this is the first time I made something that was on the wire. I didn't want to put it directly into cake. So, I took the lollipop sticks and cut it into half. Inserted the wire half way through (They'll go pretty easily) and stuck that in the cake. DIdn't have to use fondant or anything.

HTH,

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjan

Aren't you glad you asked, CakesIMake? Wow, great answers! You couldn't get this much info out of any book!

I'M GLAD SHE ASKED! I've been using straws all along but I thought of it more as a way to placate my customers, not as a real necessity. I never even considered there would be lead in wire. icon_eek.gif

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:28pm
post #12 of 18

All the answers are here on CC. I am doing a Bee Hive cake this weekend and was going to ask this question. I don't know how I survived before I found Ya'll!

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:43pm
post #13 of 18

How long do you cut your straws?

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:17am
post #14 of 18

Where do you get the thin coffee straws? I am not a coffee drinker so I don't have a clue. The ones that I have seen are usually red or some kind of stripe. I don't suppose they come in white or clear?

Annika79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annika79 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:44pm
post #15 of 18

What kind of wires are folks referring to? Wires from fake flowers that aren't made of edible material? Or is this a technique of some sort?? This could be exciting!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm
post #16 of 18

do any of you actually have BARE wires? everything I wire uses wire that is 1)cloth covered and 2) additionally covered with floral tape.

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:44pm
post #17 of 18

Green floral wire.......metal wire that is silver in color........
any wire that is bendable and stiff to attach flowers, tags,
notes, balls of fondant, stars, ballons......etc.
The wire may have lead, so the straws or candy coating, chocolate,
plus other ideas will help keep the wire off the cake.

It's like putting a paper clip wire into your cake and you think...ewww!

I bet the straw at the dollar store aren't any better?
I often wonder about those dollar store items........why
are they there in the first place? What is a good plastic
straw compared to a bad one? Made in CHINA?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:02pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

Green floral wire.......metal wire that is silver in color........
any wire that is bendable and stiff to attach flowers, tags,
notes, balls of fondant, stars, ballons......etc.
The wire may have lead, so the straws or candy coating, chocolate,
plus other ideas will help keep the wire off the cake.

I would like to expand upon that list to include wire that has paper or cloth on it, as well as wire wrapped in floral tape. None of that belongs in cake!

Think about it, if you were served a piece of cake that had a strip of sticky floral tape in it, wouldn't you be repulsed? Plus, sticky stuff has latex in it...and many people are highly allergic to latex.

I also have to disagree with coating the wire in couverture, chocolate, wax, etc...because if the wire flexes, the coating will come off and remain in the cake.

When it comes to wire, we should not take chances. Putting a little coffee stir straw or any other kind of straws in the cake is very easy, and they are food-safe.

icon_smile.gif Think about it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%