Please Advise.... Leaving Cake On Counter???

Decorating By MemphisMom9801 Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 12:50pm by -K8memphis

MemphisMom9801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MemphisMom9801 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 66

I have a large cake due in the morning... too large to put in my refrigerator. The cake is simple... chocolate & vanilla w/vanilla bc. If I begin to decorate tonight, can I leave it on the counter overnight and it be okay in the morning? Will it still be moist if left out uncovered except for having the bc on it? Thanks for any advice. icon_smile.gif

65 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 66

Unless you are putting in a filling that must be refridgerated, you'll be fine. All the fat in the icing will keep that cake nice and moist. It'll probably be even better tomorrow.

MemphisMom9801 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 66

I'm not even doing a filling... it's 3 single-layer cakes side by side covered with buttercream. Thanks so much for helping! icon_smile.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 66

I've read somewhere that cakes are better off in room temp than refrigerated as they can dry out if not in a commercial humidity controlled fridge. The only problem with that as pastryjen mentioned is if the filling is perishable.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 66

I agree, I've always decorated my bc cakes 1-2 days ahead and they've been fine.

susiecreamcheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susiecreamcheese Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 66

OMG, always err on the side of caution!

I always box and plastic wrap the cakes and allow to set out for two hours prior to service or event.

Please, always keep within safe time temperature zones.

If foods sit in 41 - 135 degrees F for more than four hours, you are asking for trouble.

eggs, cream, butter....
PHF

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 66

I mean then all you have to watch out for is kidlettes and a husband or some visitors with the munchies. A doggie or a cat even...probably safe with goldfish but you never know!! icon_lol.gif

MemphisMom9801 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 66

Okay... susiecreamcheese has me a little nervous. Really?... sit out no more than 4 hours?? Overnight would do the cake in, if that's the case. Yikes!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisMom9801

Okay... susiecreamcheese has me a little nervous. Really?... sit out no more than 4 hours?? Overnight would do the cake in, if that's the case. Yikes!

Once you bake the eggs into the cake and mix the cream into the icing etc it changes to a different substance so if this is just cake and icing you are fine outside the frige for several days.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:08am
post #10 of 66

I never refrigerate my cakes unless they have a perishable filling or they're covered w/pure whipped cream.

I made a cake for company last Friday night it's been on my counter under my glass cake dish since then. Had a slice for dessert tonight and it was very deliciously moist. It's been 2 hrs since I ate it and as far as I can tell I'm still breathing fine. icon_lol.gif

I always leave my orders out on my work table, boxed overnight, nobody's gotten sick or died yet as far as I know...........although there was that one lady that grew a second nose for no apparent reason after eating one of my cakes icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:10am
post #11 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisMom9801

Once you bake the eggs into the cake and mix the cream into the icing etc it changes to a different substance so if this is just cake and icing you are fine outside the frige for several days.

k8 is absolutely correct. 4 hours? icon_confused.gif Wedding cakes sit out at receptions way longer than that. I never refrigerate my cakes at all. Not in 30 years.

MemphisMom9801 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:24am
post #12 of 66

Whew! Feeling better about leaving it out, now. It's just plain chocolate and vanilla cakes with plain... I mean fabulously delicious Indydebi's buttercream! icon_smile.gif... buttercream. No fillings or fancy schmancy, temperature sensitive doo-dads adorning the cake. Thanks so much, y'all!!

dkelly... You crack me up!! "A second nose..." *heehee* icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I never refrigerate my cakes unless they have a perishable filling

Me too.

In my state we home bakers can't sell anything that requires refrigeration anyway, so I'd be doomed if I had to.

MemphisMom9801 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:19pm
post #14 of 66

Thanks, y'all! I decorated last night and left it out on the counter while I slept. It stayed looking beautiful and even tasted good, too, this morning. thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:30pm
post #15 of 66

I was still munching on an SMBC iced and filled cake from Sunday, as of Tuesday night. I filled and iced that on Saturday. Was still good, and was never refrigerated. The bacteria bugs didn't get me yet!!!

And then....I had a chunk of raw hamburger meat dipped in salt! YUMMMY!

Cast iron stomach here!

MemphisMom9801 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:35pm
post #16 of 66

You so have to be kidding about the raw hamburger meat dipped in salt! Please tell me you are... icon_eek.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:33pm
post #17 of 66

I don't think she is icon_lol.gif When we were kids I played with a little boy next door, his mom and mine used to make us lunch so we could eat together outside. His favorite lunch was freshly ground "RAW" beef dipped in mustard. The first time I saw him eat that I nearly vomited right on his lap, but he loved it!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:42pm
post #18 of 66

my mom used to tell me all the time when I was a kid that HER mother used to LOVE To eat raw ground beef...that so can't be safe anymore : ( YUCK! (of course this is coming from someone that gags at the sight of pink in her hamburger lol)

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:51pm
post #19 of 66

I've been leaving my mmf covered cakes overnight for 3 years now. No complaints so far. I even agree with eveyone who said that room temperature make the cakes more moist and yummy.
I have a question, if Buttercream has milk in it, for how long can you keep it refrigerated?
Thanks.

Joumana

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:53pm
post #20 of 66

KHalstead, did you grow up in Sewell, NJ? I grew up in Sewell!!! I saw that you were in Sewell at some point from the Wilton Honorable Mention page, great guitar cake!!!

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:00pm
post #21 of 66

Nope...and I barely cook my steaks either! If you have never tried raw hamburger meat...or raw steak, it is truly a wonderful delicacy! Delish!

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #22 of 66

It certainly is a practice that any food germaphobe would freak out over, and health codes would slam you for.

However, any true blooded meat afficianado will tell you cooking a steak or any beef past the pink stage is just not right.

Any chef on tv, probably, would looooove to pop a cube of raw beef in their mouth when prepping it. But the networks would never allow it. Never ever ever. Even though there "just ain't nothing wrong with it!"

I would never serve raw meat to a paying customer or ever under the roof of any restaurant. But I have been treating myself to it for 30+ years and have never ever ever suffered any ill effects. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Yum....make me hungry just thinking of it!

MemphisMom9801 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:37pm
post #23 of 66

Oh, Jamie! You have to stop... don't tell me any more! RAW STEAK?!!? Oh, bleeecchhh!! I'm with khalstead... I cannot eat a burger or steak that has even a HINT of pink in it.... well done for me, please. I cannot FATHOM purposely eating a bite of bloody or rare meat because I wanted to! *shudder* *double shudder*

To each his own, I suppse... icon_confused.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:40pm
post #24 of 66

Lol...to each his own yes. If you had any idea how much more flavor meat has when the flavor isnt' burned out of it....you'd order rare from here on out! icon_wink.gif

But, yes, not something everyone can stomach for sure. icon_biggrin.gif

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm
post #25 of 66

Jamie, you've got to be from TX or Oklahoma---You know the right way to cook a steak!!!!

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #26 of 66

When we were growing up and my Dad went to the grocery store, he would split out the hamburger into containers and along the way he would make little raw hamburger patties, put them on saltines, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. It was so good I can't even begin to tell youicon_smile.gif People get pretty grossed out if I mention it though.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:04pm
post #27 of 66

I always leave my cakes after they are stack and decorated out of the fridge.. unless the filling is one that can break down, it should be fine.
I always have the air conditioner running so it doesnt get hot.
Edna icon_smile.gif

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:09pm
post #28 of 66

I always leave mine out.... Not exactly into the raw meat but I definitly don't want my steak any over medium... preferably medium rare.... much more flavor that way

MemphisMom9801 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:13pm
post #29 of 66

I'm so glad that I've discovered this little nugget of information about leaving the cakes out as long as there is nothing in a filling or whatever that needs to be refrigerated. I've always put mine in the fridge once decorated. I don't know why... guess I just thought that's what was supposed to be done. Thanks to everyone for their input. I just love all the helpful people here! icon_smile.gif

And you people with the crazy taste for raw meat... *shaking head and rolling eyes* icon_razz.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:21pm
post #30 of 66

Lol...kinda hijacked your thread, eh? Apologies for that one!

Next time you are going to grill some steak, cut off a little end piece, lightly sprinkle with salt, close your eyes, and don't think about what you are eating....I bet you will like it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%