Peach Filling??

Decorating By tana Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 6:53pm by Pebbles1727

tana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tana Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 26

Good morning everyone-

I need to do a cake with a peach filling, but do not know how to. Does anyone have a peach filling recipe out there?

Will APPRECIATE the help.

25 replies
SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 26

One of my favorite SIMPLE filling recipes works with almost any fruit: Buy a jar of jam/jelly in the flavor you need (Peach, here, obviously) and a small box of Jell-o in the same flavor. Mircowave the jam in a bowl just until warm...NOT HOT! Probably just about a minute. Stir the Jell-o into the jam and it will dissolve. The most common question I get is "Will it be grainy from the Jell-o?" The answer is no. The Jell-o dissolves completely very quickly. You can make this more "natural" by using a whole fruit spread that has chunks of fruit in it. The stuff last a really long, time, too, just store it in the original jam jar in the fridge. It has the same fridge-life as jam/jelly. I always have strawberry, blackberry and raspberry in the fridge.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 26

SpringFlour, that sounds yummy! Could you add fruit to it or does it mess up the filling?

tana Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 26

Springflower that sounds great and yummy.... Can we add real chunk of peaches in there???

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 26

Boy does that peach filling sound to die for!! icon_lol.gif I would be wary of using chunks of anything in my fillings (nuts, fruits, etc.) because if you are stacking a cake and using supports there is a good chance that one of the supports will land on a chunk of nut or fruit thus rendering your supports unstable. That's why I don't bother with chunks of stuff in the filling. But I don't see why a few cut up peaches wouldn't be awesome in it for taste. icon_smile.gif

SpringFlour Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 6:26am
post #6 of 26

I would have to agree with bobwonderbuns about the chunks. I tend to keep my fillings relatively smooth, but like I had mentioned, if you use "whole fruit spread" instead of jam, you do get actual chunks of peach, just not big ones - and it really has a very peachy taste. Also, I really like that this filling lasts a pretty long time in the fridge. Since the jam has already been processed with preservatives (sounds yummy, all those preservatives icon_wink.gif ), it lasts. If you put fresh fruit in it, it wouldn't last long. And really, there's no way you're going to use more and 1/4 to 1/2 the jar, even on a large cake, so you want it to last a while in the fridge.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 26

I used SpringFlour's recipe last night - 4 berry fruit spread and raspberry jello. It was SO easy and tastes delicious. I put some on my mini-cheesecakes for today and have the rest in the fridge to try on a cake. I got peach, pineapple and raspberry (spreads and jello's) to try. Thanks so much, SF. I usually make my own raspberry filling, but I've had trouble with it not setting up and ruining my cake, so hopefully I have found something better.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 26

the recipe sounds really delicious and easy to make...can't wait to try it!

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 26

This a keeper!

tana Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 26

I did this and it came out GREAT!! Thank you all

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 26

Sounds delish! Thanks for the ideas!!

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 26

This may have been obvious to everyone, but ... what size jar of preserves and what size jell-o box did you use?

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 26

Here I am, looking online for an apricot filling, and come across this right here on CC!! Why do I go anywhere else?? icon_rolleyes.gif

This sounds great, and I plan on trying it, but with apricot instead of peach. yummmmy...

mbt4955 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:31pm
post #14 of 26

I'm at work so I can't say exactly what size my fruit was, but I'm guessing 12-15 ounces. I used a small box of regular jello. I started to get the sugar free and may try that the next time.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:05pm
post #15 of 26

thanks for the recipe. i was looking for a strawberry filling for a cake i have to do on thursday. im going to try this! icon_biggrin.gif
for those of you have made it - what is the texture/consistency like?

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:07pm
post #16 of 26

Thanks! I'm going out to get some preserves and jell-o!

tana Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:46pm
post #17 of 26

I did not use preserves , but i tried using peaches(diced and made them slightly tender over low flame with a lil sugar). Then I mixed 2 cups of boiling water to three boxes of peach jell-o. Then, when warm I added it to the diced peaches. I also added 2 packets of gelatin to some warm water then mixed everything together. It came out really great. I wanted to try what SpringFlour advised but my husbands family wanted some real peaches in there.

THANKX SPRINGFLOUR!!!!!!!!

mbt4955 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:50pm
post #18 of 26

I didn't add any water ...

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:01pm
post #19 of 26

Thanks for the great Recipe.

SpringFlour Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:48am
post #20 of 26

I'm glad you all have liked it! Like I said, it's my favorite easy filling and I always have some on hand.

I use a small box of Jell-o and a jar of jam that is 18 ounces, but you can use just about any size of jam...as long as it isn't one of those "family" sizes. This is one of those concoctions that don't really require much accuracy. That's why I like it so much! icon_lol.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:51pm
post #21 of 26

I am so glad I found this. Just had a call today for a peach filling and this sounds great to me!!!

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:30am
post #22 of 26

I have some dumb questions - what is the actual purpose of adding jello to preserves? Does it change the texture, taste? Does the cake with this filling need to be refrigerated?
TIA, P

SpringFlour Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:44am
post #23 of 26

The jello just firms it up a bit. The texture really isn't much different, and I haven't noticed much difference in the taste...maybe just a bit "brighter" of a taste? Nothing like artificial flavoring to brighten up the flavor of food, eh? icon_lol.gif

I never refrigerate my cakes, there's never room in the fridge. icon_razz.gif The filling is fine when left at room temperature. It's been eaten at my house after sitting out for a week.

Pebbles1727 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:27pm
post #24 of 26

Thank you so much, I got one more I thought of: how much of the fruit filling you actually put in the cake? Same as if it was buttercreme, all the way to the top of the damb or less? Just seems like so much jam...
Thanks again, P

SpringFlour Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:09pm
post #25 of 26

I don't put it on incredibly thick. I don't know the exact amount... I just "eyeball it." I make it thick enough so the cake is covered, but I can still see the cake through the filling. Does that make sense? I'd say it's maybe about an eighth of an inch thick.

If you use too much your layers will slide around a bit!

Pebbles1727 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 6:53pm
post #26 of 26

thanks, P

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%