How To Make A Pregnant Belly Cake

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 4 Mar 2014 , 12:43am by Anne-Marie7

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:05am
post #1 of 40

i'm sure this topic has been mentioned before.. but i just can't find it. can anyone give me detail instructions on how to make a pregnant belly cake?

39 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:06am
post #2 of 40

I think you just take a ball pan for the belly and then a small wilton wonder mold pan for the chest.

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:52am
post #3 of 40

Hi in my belly cake I used the one half of the ball pan and 2 cake pieces for the boobs or you can use muffins. I've seen some who have used large bowls for the belly as well. Hope this helps...

missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 40

Yes I am looking for instructions as well. Any help would be appreciated.

cylstrial Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmikey

Yes I am looking for instructions as well. Any help would be appreciated.

I have never made one..but I don't think that it would be that hard. It looks like you bake a regular 9x13 cake for the bottom layer. And then you go and get a mini ball pan (or you could probably just bake it in a oven safe glass bowl as long as it is really round on the bottom). Bake it until it's done. And then you use either small glass bowl bakeware or the mini wonder doll mold for the chest.

Frost your 9x13. Do your fondant work for the body of the pregnant woman and then decorate the rest of the cake the way you want to.

Good luck!

missmikey Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 40

Do you have to do anything to make it all stay together? Does there need to be rounds under the belly and booboos?

cylstrial Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 40

Yeah -- I would definitely use a round under the belly and the booboos. You should probably put some dowel rods under the belly and the booboos too.. just to make sure that nothing happens to the cake.

missmikey Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 40

Thank you that was my biggest question. I appreciate your help!

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 40

instead of buying all new pans etc...why not just use cake layers with filling and then carve it?!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 40

I have done a few in my time.... I learned a lot from the first two I made and by the third one I worked out most of the problems and here is how I do it......- ***the below statements I copied and pasted from another forum. I figured it would be easier to copy and paste it into my reply here***

The Belly is made from half a ball pan and the breasts are made from 2 Wilton Mini Wonder molds. I just put them together on their own cake board and then cover them with fondant and then place the whole thing on top of the square (oval, sheet, whatever size shape you want) base cake

I had made 2 belly cakes before this one. With both of them I placed the torso on the base cake FIRST and then covered with fondant!! AHHH - it was a nightmare. It was so easy to mess up the buttercream on the base cake and then I had to figure out how to hide all the messed up parts. So this time I did the opposite. I cut a cakeboard to size and placed the torso cake parts on the board and then covered it with fondant and tucked the edges under to make a nice smooth edge. I also did this one with one larger piece of fondant to cover the whole torso and the last two I did I used separate pieces. I found the way I did it this time to be soooooo much easier then trying to apply all the fondant to the belly after it was on the cake. If I have to do this again (which I'm sure I will - this was the 3rd belly cake I've done) I will definitely do the torso separate again and then place the whole thing on the base layer! I did not use any dowels under the torso part but if you think it may be too heavy I would go ahead and dowel it for peace of mind!

Hope that helps!! It was just so much easier and less stressful for me doing it this way and I think I got a cleaner looking edge!!
LL

missmikey Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:33pm
post #11 of 40

That is beautiful. I hadn't thought of doing one that way. I need to make a practice one before I try the real thing. Your tips will help immensely. What kind of fondant did you use?

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 40

I used Satin Ice Fondant - I find it really easy to work with! Glad some of my tips could help, it saved me some headache!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:43pm
post #13 of 40

I did one this past summer (if the file doesn't work, just look in my gallery).

I used the Wilton Soccer Ball pan (but any ball pan would work I'm sure), and 2-8" rounds. One of the 8" rounds was used underneath the soccer ball for added height, and the other round was used to carve 2 "breasts".

All of the decorations were made of fondant- I used kelly green, copper (skintone), and black. I iced and covered each "breast" seprately w/ the copper fondant and then positioned them w/ the big iced "belly". Then I draped the green fondant over the whole thing, and just let the bottom part fall naturally (I tried to roll the fondant as round on the bottom as possible to have a skirt-like shape). After trimming the sides and the neckline, I added the black trim and bow.

The cake served approx. 25 people.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!!
LL

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 40

Thanks for all the great tips, I can't wait to try one myself and i've learned so much from this post. My hubby thinks the belly cakes are a little freaky but I can see it being a big hit. Oh, I love the green and black colors for the dress..perfect.

cylstrial Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:49pm
post #15 of 40

Bturpin -- I love your belly cake! Sooo cute!!

beenzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenzee Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:38am
post #16 of 40

Thanks for the great tips! Gonna try this!

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:53pm
post #17 of 40

Thanks for all the help.. i made my cake this weekend.. here it is!! it's also in my photos listed on here...
LL

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:08pm
post #18 of 40

It turned out wonderful!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:25pm
post #19 of 40

I so want to make one of these... I wish someone would have a baby shower soon

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #20 of 40

I just had a lady ask me if I could make abelly cake.... This thread really helps

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:25pm
post #21 of 40

Aww, these cakes are just so cute. How much do you ladies charge for a belly/preggo cake?

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:50pm
post #22 of 40

I made one this weekend for my friend's baby shower, and I hated it so I did not take any pictures, but everyone else liked it and they took pictures, But it was defianetly a learning experience, thanks for this thread there is so many things I should have done different, I used the whole ball pans, and mini ball pans instead of half

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:49am
post #23 of 40

this help me alot to cant wait to make one. you both did a great job.

cakelady1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady1958 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:04am
post #24 of 40

I also made one using the soccer ball pan and Wilton Wonder molds for the breast.

candyliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyliz Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 3:28am
post #25 of 40

www.wonderhowto.com ... Food Cake Decorating

Faithbound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faithbound Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:02am
post #26 of 40

In my case, I had tons of people to feed cake. My cousin had a baby shower, and she wanted a pregnant belly cake with baby feet poking out, as if the baby were kicking. I used a 12x18 base sheet. I used the wilton sports ball pan to create the breasts, since they come in two halves. I used a glass casserole bowl to bake a cake for the belly.

I also placed the breasts and belly on their own board. This is just added in case someone wants the cake to feed a crowd. I know most bakers use one half of the sports ball pan for the belly. I just went bigger.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 5:35pm
post #27 of 40

i have a baby shower to do in december. Im hoping she lets me pick the cake (its my friend) cause i want to try a belly cake sooo bad

mkeith1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkeith1978 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 8:59am
post #28 of 40

how do you shape the round pan into 2 breasts? any tips?

NurseCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NurseCake Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 12:47pm
post #29 of 40

Thanks for all of the wonderful tips icon_smile.gif!!!

tame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tame Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 3:37am
post #30 of 40

great tips, thanks for posting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%