How Do I Get A Super Moist Chocolate Cake?

Decorating By sissy007 Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 5:02am by lifonahil

sissy007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sissy007 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:33am
post #1 of 31

I have tried different recipes for chocolate cake but want a really moist mouth watering recipe that I can stick to. Can that also be achieved with a box mix?

30 replies
CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:10am
post #2 of 31

Here's the one I use all the time. LOVE it! It is incredibly moist. I got it here on CC in the recipes section.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2185-Dark-Chocolate-Cake.html

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:54am
post #3 of 31

When I read this post question I was going to suggest the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe from their cocoa can. First I decided to look at cakesbybecca's suggestion, it looked familiar. Guess what? That IS the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe. I make it enough that I have it memorized.
I guess the source, recipeczar copied Hershey's icon_confused.gif Oh well.

This cake actually gets more moist as the days go by. The batter seems very thin when you're through mixing it, but don't panic, it's supposed to be that way. Sometimes I add 1/4cup of Kahlua and use 3/4cup milk instead of 1cup.

It's my favorite too.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 31
Quote:

That looks amazing jana.........just had it e-mailed to me. Is it a very dense, brownie like, cake?

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 31

I use a devils food cake mix and i add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup sour cream, 1/3 tsp salt, 2 tsp vanilla and 4 eggs. Works perfect every single time and it is very, very moist. Sometimes i add chocolate chips and marshmallows to the batter yummm!!!

sayhellojana Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 31

Not brownie like, no. Its very very moist but has a soft texture. You won't believe its not cake flour

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 31

I also use the Hershey recipe, man that is one moist cake!! And easy thumbs_up.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 31

<every time I see that recipe from food network I have to chuckle... bake for 15 minutes and it serves six......

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 31

I do the box mix plus 1 box fudge pudding, 4 eggs, 1 cup water and 1/3 cup oil.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 31

I've wondered about the cake on foodnetwork & wondering if you guys can answer a couple of ?s. My main one is can it be baked in different size pans (8" round, square, 3" deep, etc). Does it rise well? Have you made cupcakes with it? Is the flavor a good dark chocolate or just a chocolate? It definitely doesn't look like a milk chocolate.

I like the texture of the Hershey's, but didn't like the flavor. I don't know what it was, but it just didn't have a good chocolate flavor to me.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #12 of 31

I am a scratch baker but this evening I tried one of the cake mix cakes with the pudding in it and it turned out just so moist and yummy.

Will absolutely be trying more of these but I am a bit curious about how they will stand up to buttercream and mmf?

sayhellojana Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:30pm
post #13 of 31

The food network recipe is my favorite (posted above) Yes, I HAVE made cupcakes and they dome wonderfully. That recipe makes about 50 cuppies though, so be prepared for extras. I bake mine in 8'' rounds and everything rises just fine. I see no reason why it could not be baked in a square pan either. It rises a fair amount, I always have to level mine. And like Chuzpah said, bake for more like 30-45 mins and it serves double the amount. I get 3 8 inch rounds, plus a few cupcakes.
The taste is just a simple chocolate. I've made it with Gehridelli cocoa powder and it was sublime, but it's still good with Hershey's (what I've been using these days) It's not milk, probably falls into the lighter end of the dark chocolate spectrum. lol. Again, it's all the texture. AMAZING! So soft, but the cake holds together well too.

I've used this recipe for chocolate raspberry cake, chocolate peanut butter cake, chocolate coconut cake (added 1 tsp. coconut extract to that one), it will go with basically any filling.

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:31pm
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyBecca

Here's the one I use all the time. LOVE it! It is incredibly moist. I got it here on CC in the recipes section.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2185-Dark-Chocolate-Cake.html

This is also the chocolate cake recipe I use, and it is perfect and moist everytime.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:44pm
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Is the flavor a good dark chocolate or just a chocolate? It definitely doesn't look like a milk chocolate.

I like the texture of the Hershey's, but didn't like the flavor. I don't know what it was, but it just didn't have a good chocolate flavor to me.

my suggestion would be to use a dark cocoa powder, like hersheys special dark, it will give it a really deep rich color rather than a light chocolate color, and i personally find the flavor a bit richer. another suggestion is to replace water with a really good quality, strong coffee. coffee (like salt...) works wonders at enhancing the flavor of chocolate.

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:54pm
post #16 of 31

I've used both, the food network chcolate fudge cake and the dark chocolate cake from this site and both are wonderful.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #17 of 31

My standard choc. cake recipe is Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake. It IS just what the name says. Plus it is so easy to make...and so good!!

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:17pm
post #18 of 31

anytime you use oil instead of butter in a cake recipe I think you are going to have a moister (is that a word?) cake. butter, although, incredibly delicious gives you a more dense cake.

sayhellojana Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:28pm
post #19 of 31

Oh, I forgot to mention that if you wanted a chocolate/coffee cake with the food network fudge cake recipe, you can use really HOT black coffee instead of water. Bakes up the same and tastes even richer.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:43pm
post #20 of 31

Cake Dr recipe is
1 Chocolate Cake Mix...I use Devils Food
1 Box Chocolate Pudding
1 C Sour Cream
1/2 C Oil
1/2 C Water ( I use 3/4)
4 Eggs

I cover every cake I bake imediately with foil after it comes out of the oven...it traps the moisture in and they come out amazingly moist everytime!!!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:48pm
post #21 of 31

I also use the hershey's chocolate cake recipe, I replace the water with coffee though and it is fantastic. I love it!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:34pm
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

I also use the hershey's chocolate cake recipe, I replace the water with coffee though and it is fantastic. I love it!

Mmmm...I'm gonna have to try it with coffee! YUM.

dandelion56602 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:56pm
post #23 of 31

I'll give it a try for my next chocolate cake. I knew about replacing the water w/ coffee. And the dang store is always out of Hershey's dark cocoa, but I keep looking!

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:15pm
post #24 of 31

I use the Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe from this website. It's to die for and I get so many compliments. However, it was a little fudgy for me, so I changed the chocolate fudge cake mix to milk chocolate, the pudding mix to regular chocolate, and the semi-sweet chips to milk chocolate. It's heaven...

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:24pm
post #25 of 31

Toba Garrett's chocolate fudge cake is outstanding--it is the only chocolate cake I make.

dandelion56602 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:57am
post #26 of 31

The Dark Chocolate Cake here on CC is the Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Cake (after I wrote the recipes down). I tried both (Dark Chocolate w/ coffee instead of water). Both Hershey & Food net really good as was the flavors, but I preferred the texture of the Hershey's/Dark Chocolate cake over the Food net, it also froze better. I would use either

Dacerra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dacerra Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:02am
post #27 of 31

I use the Duncan Hines Super Moist boxed cake and I substitute 1 cup of applesauce for the oil and only 2 eggs instead of 3. It usually takes almost one whole batter just to make a 3 inch high, 8" cake, but it is the moistest cake....and so quick!

maggles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggles Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:16am
post #28 of 31

I'm a chocolate fiend. In my opinion, this cake from epicurious is the best chocolate cake I've ever had. And everyone else who's tried it agrees. At least those who like chocolate...it is very rich. It's very, very moist. It's usually better a day or two after it was baked, especially if you freeze it. Not sure why, but that's been my experience.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275

By the way, the recipe calls for "fine quality" chocolate, and freshly brewed coffee. I just use Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips and store brand instant coffee and it's always fantastic.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:53am
post #29 of 31

Here is the one I make. It is JUST like a box mix (moistness, density, crumb, etc), but homemade. http://www.recipezaar.com/The-Only-Chocolate-Cake-Recipe-Youll-Ever-Need-Devils-Food-26370

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:57am
post #30 of 31

The Hershey's recipe is a great one, heed the suggestions.

I also really like this Fabulous Fudge Chocolate Cake recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fabulous-Fudge-Chocolate-Cake/Detail.aspx?prop31=1
I double the amount of chocolate (or even do a bit more than that..)

If I want something a little different, I go to the Chocolate Stout cake:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Stout-Cake-107105

And for cupcakes, I highly, highly recommend the chocolate recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Everyone I serve these to go gaagaa over them and can't believe they're "vegan". (Save for the BC I put on top lol). They are super moist and delicious! I just made some tonight and I don't like icing so I loaded them with chocolate chips and toffee - yum!

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10794

I recommend anything from that cuppy book.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%