Sift Box Cake Mix??

Decorating By nesweetcake Updated 5 Sep 2014 , 3:33am by ddiluzio

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:57am
post #1 of 33

Please tell me if there are any benefits to sifting your box cake mix.
Also if anyone has the best ever chocolate scratch or/white scratch
rec would love for you to share.

32 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:06am
post #2 of 33

In over 25 yrs I have only done that once or twice after reading that it would imporve my cake. I don't think there was any difference so I stopped doing it.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:50am
post #3 of 33

I was told to sift the mix if it had been frozen. But since I've never frozen a box mix, I've never sifted! I can't imagine there would be a noticeable difference.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 33

I usually do sift cake mixes....for me it makes the texture of the cake a little nicer, tighter finer crumb.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 33

Sifting the cake mix was the very first suggestion from CC that I tried. To be very very honest, my initial reaction when I read about doing it was "SOMEbody has WAY too much time on their hands!"

Boy, was I wrong.

Sifting the cake mix cut down on mixing time, removed all the little lumps in the batter (which is why I had to mix it longer), and the cake texture came out BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY reduces the air holes in the cake texture .... my cake texture looks like a fine pound cake.

I will never NOT sift a cake mix ever again.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 33

I don't sift, but I whisk it when I dump it in the bowl to get all of the lumps out. It becomes very soft and fine.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Sifting the cake mix was the very first suggestion from CC that I tried. To be very very honest, my initial reaction when I read about doing it was "SOMEbody has WAY too much time on their hands!"

Boy, was I wrong.

Sifting the cake mix cut down on mixing time, removed all the little lumps in the batter (which is why I had to mix it longer), and the cake texture came out BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY reduces the air holes in the cake texture .... my cake texture looks like a fine pound cake.

I will never NOT sift a cake mix ever again.

I totally agree with you on this. I never sifted until I found this web site. Now my husband and daughter both sift the mix if they are making a cake.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 33

Exactly what indydebi said icon_smile.gif

JEM530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JEM530 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 33

I agree that sifting does give my cakes a nicer texture. I also find that there are less crumbs when I level and torte my cakes. I always sift unless I am really pressed for time. icon_smile.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 33

I agree with indydeb. I will ALWAYS sift my cake mixes. It does make a huge difference.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 33

Not to mention the hard little lumpies left when I am done sifting...

I ALWAYS sift cake mixes, my dry ingredients for scratch recipes and powderd sugar. Always.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:27pm
post #12 of 33

I sift my mixes, to improve the crumb texture, but also do it for another reason. I sift to remove any rare but possible "foreign" objects. Like, the 1/4" piece of white plastic I found last summer, or anything else that might be in there from a manufacturing facility. icon_confused.gif

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:37pm
post #13 of 33

I agree - sifting gives the cake a better texture. I always sift the day before and store in ziploc bags. 2 boxes of sifted mix fits nicely into a gallon ziploc storage bag!

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 7:33pm
post #14 of 33

Thanks so much for your input. I had been sifting, but wanted to
make sure I was doing it right. You are all great. Thanks!

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:46am
post #15 of 33

I never heard of this but I thought about it...asked my dad once and he didn't think it would make a difference. Boy am I glad I found this thread. I will be sifting my next cake you bet!

indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:54am
post #16 of 33

sweetisome, is your dad a baker, too?

sweetisome Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:52am
post #17 of 33

Yes indybebi, he is. He graduated from Johnson and Wales as a pastry chef. He hates that I use box mixes, but for my purposes (which is what I affectionatly refer to as a hobby for profit)it just makes more sense. When I asked him about sifting it was specificly because I was looking for a tighter , finer crumb without sacrificing the lightness and moisture of my cakes.

indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:26am
post #18 of 33

wow, talk about having a great resource handy!!

sweetisome Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:34am
post #19 of 33

I do most of my own research, but whenever I have a real technical problem...a call to Dad really comes in handy!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:24pm
post #20 of 33

I swear by sifting cake mix boxes, for all the reasons given. It has made such a difference in the crumb of my cake, as well as the lack of large air pockets.

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:52pm
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by becklynn

I agree - sifting gives the cake a better texture. I always sift the day before and store in ziploc bags. 2 boxes of sifted mix fits nicely into a gallon ziploc storage bag!

Good to know!! Thanks becklynn!!! This will help me TONS!!!

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:37pm
post #22 of 33

I always sift all dry ingredients, it's what I was always taught.

Sifting breaks down any little lumps and aerates compounded mixtures.

The higher you hold your sieve the better.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:45pm
post #23 of 33

when i sift, i have found pieces in my mix so hard that when i tried to smash them with a spoon, they shot out from under it, never to be seen again!! i find it hard to believe that they would have broken down during cooking if i hadn't have sifted them out first.

i also sifted out a piece of black plastic about the size of a watermelon seed the other day when i was mixing up devil's food mixes...not sure where that came from!

the only time i sift and still dump is when i'm sifting something like strawberry mix with the little pieces of strawberries or one with hershey pieces in it. i sift, then carefully look over all the little pieces before dumping on in...that is how i found the piece of black plastic. you can never be too careful.

i also sift out my sugar...you 'd be amazed at the huge chunks i find when i'm done...i just toss them.

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:12pm
post #24 of 33

I always sift ALL my dry ingredients. I don't use an actual sifter though. I use a cone shaped "strainer" that I bought at the dollar store. It is a tight mesh like a strainer, but much easier to use and faster. I dump in some flour, sugar, cake mix, or whatever, then "stir" with a spatula or spoon. Works great.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 6:11pm
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

when i sift, i have found pieces in my mix so hard that when i tried to smash them with a spoon, they shot out from under it, never to be seen again!! i find it hard to believe that they would have broken down during cooking if i hadn't have sifted them out first.

i also sifted out a piece of black plastic about the size of a watermelon seed the other day when i was mixing up devil's food mixes...not sure where that came from!

the only time i sift and still dump is when i'm sifting something like strawberry mix with the little pieces of strawberries or one with hershey pieces in it. i sift, then carefully look over all the little pieces before dumping on in...that is how i found the piece of black plastic. you can never be too careful.

i also sift out my sugar...you 'd be amazed at the huge chunks i find when i'm done...i just toss them.

I know!!...there is a LOT of hard chunks in the mix and sugar. I don't use a regular sifter either. I use a wire strainer style. The one time I used one of those hand squeeze kind I clogged it up so bad with cake mix it was nearly impossible to get out!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:38pm
post #26 of 33

I always sift, sift, sift. I have noticed a difference in the texture of my cakes. The one that i did not sift had all sorts of lumps in the batter and the one that i did sift the batter was silky smooth.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:04pm
post #27 of 33

I was always taught to sift dry ingredients as well, but mostly applied that to scratch cakes. Years ago, I noticed that cake mixes had lumps that just wouldn't seem to mix out in the normal amount of "mix time" allocated on the box. I found it to be very frustrating so I decided to start sifting even boxed caked mixes right then and there --have done so ever since.

seashelley68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seashelley68 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #28 of 33

I never sift my cake mix. I find that the one thing I have to have is my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. It definitely makes a difference in the texture of the cake. I have used different method to mix the cake when I have been away from my house and it's just not the same.

indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelley68

I never sift my cake mix. I find that the one thing I have to have is my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. It definitely makes a difference in the texture of the cake. I have used different method to mix the cake when I have been away from my house and it's just not the same.

I used a KA for 20+ years and now have a 20-qt Hobart ...... if you've never sifted, give it a try. I promise, you'll never go back.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:11pm
post #30 of 33

I was always taught to sift dry ingredients as well, but mostly applied that to scratch cakes. Years ago, I noticed that cake mixes had lumps that just wouldn't seem to mix out in the normal amount of "mix time" allocated on the box. I found it to be very frustrating so I decided to start sifting even boxed caked mixes right then and there --have done so ever since.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%