Chunky Monkeys

Lounge By Mencked Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 10:28am by minicuppie

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 430

After discussion and much PMing among a few of us, we've decided to start a cake bakers weight loss group to support each other in our determination and attempts at losing weight. I'll introduce myself: I'm a married mother of 3, bake 3-5 cakes per week, work full time and can't believe how I've managed to gain this much weight!! I need to lose about 150 lbs--GASP!! Anyway, I've started WW on-line and know that any kind of support we can give each other will be so valuable!! We thought it would be good to check in every Monday and really help each other in any way that we can! Chunky Monkeys unite!!!

429 replies
Sunflower08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflower08 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 430

Hi.. I would like to do this with you guys.. I'm a divorced mother of one.. I need to seriously lose like 60lbs. I don't know how to do it.. I have tried a couple different diets and I never stick to it. Can you guys help me through this !

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 430

I'm married, but not a mother yet. icon_smile.gif I want to lose weight now so that I'm not in my 40's and facing diabetes (genetically predisposed to that, hypothyroidism, etc.).

I want to get healthy NOW, so that I teach my children to be healthy, and end the huge generational issue of diabetes in my family.

I'm about 170lbs and 5'2". I want to eventually get down to 135lbs (size 8, and a great look for me). My goal, for now, is to lose 25lbs. I'm not putting a time limit on myself, though. I also will be talking to my Dr. about hypothyroidism and what I should be looking out for, since my mother, grandmother, and great grandmother all have or had it.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 430

Hi Everyone,

I'm married, have two small children (2 & 3). I have several businesses and along with other things, time just gets away from me. My husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and that scared me to death. We started a diet that very night! We both lost 52 pounds but with not eating right and new medication, I've put back on 35. I want to lose those 35 AGAIN and maybe 25 more.

I think this will be a great thread and I know I will make some great friends out of it. Like Queen Diane-that's how she wants to be called JK--Chunky Monkeys Unite.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 430

Hi Everyone,

I'm 33 Married for 13 years but no children yet. Doctors have said that losing weight may help the infertility we have been faced with over the last decade+. I'm also going to school to be an elementary school teacher. My best friend and I are going to New York for our 35 birthday and we want to be able to walk up to the tallest point we can in the Statue of Liberty. All of these combined with my desire to healthier lead me to the decision to have weight loss surgery.

I used to think surgery was considered the "easy way out". Let me tell you there is nothing easy about it. I opted for the lap band. I am very glad to be losing weight, but I wish I could have found something before having to come to that drastic measure.

I'd like to share some tips I've learned since having surgery.

For excercise, many of us tell ourselves "I'll get to it later". The truth is it becomes low on our priority list. Instead schedule it in your calendar. Write down the classes (if you have a gym membership) you want to attend, or just schedule your 30-60 minutes 2-4 times a week in your day planner and stick with it. Make the time by actually making the time. We can watch what we eat all day long, but if we don't support it with movement/exercise, the changes won't last.

For your clothes, don't torture yourself with keeping the "small" clothes. Keep 1 item that i special to you, but get rid of everything else. Also don't keep your "big" clothes around. Keeping the small clothes just makes you sad that you can't wear them. Keeping the big clothes gives you an excuse to not pay attention. "I don't have to worry about it, if I gain 5 lbs i have clothes that still fit." Do yourself a favor and donate it to a local women's shelter. They will find good use for it, and you won't torture yourself anymore.

When you go out to eat, order a to go box with your meal. When your meal arrives cut the portions in half, put half away immediately. Then you aren't faced with an entire plate of food that you have to finish. You'll get 2 meals for the price of one and never have guilt about not finishing your meal.

According to my nutritionist most Americans don't enjoy their food because they eat too much of it. The first bite is amazing, but by the time you've eaten a plate full half the size of the table you forgot how good the first bite was. So instead, use smaller plates and utensils. Take the time to chew well and take smal bites. If you only have a few bites of your favorite dessert, you won't forget how good that first bite was. You'll learn to really enjoy flavor again.

Finally, don't deny yourself. If you want chocolate or ice cream, have some. But limit your portion.

I'm really looking forward to helping everyone. I know I need all the support I can get.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 430

PS... I'm adding you all to my buddy list so I can keep track of you muwahahahaha.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

PS... I'm adding you all to my buddy list so I can keep track of you muwahahahaha.

icon_surprised.gif Uh oh. icon_wink.gif

ETA: Since you're watching us, I'll just go ahead and create a ticker. heehee

jelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelmom Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 430

Hi, I would like to join you guys. I am married with two kids 2 and almost 5. Last year I lost 40 pounds. I got a little depressed in the beginning of this year and gained 45. I started two weeks ago and have lost 6 pounds. Could use all the motovation I can get.
BTW I did give all my big clothes away last year and am left with a closet full of size 6 clothes to torture me.I think I will keep everything this time. LOL

EnjoyTheCake Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 430

Jelmom,

What did you do to lose the 40 last year? And as long as you have something to wear, I guess keeping your size 6 isn't so bad. As long as you aren't keeping them for 2+ years.

Emrldsky,

Nice ticker. I originally wasn't going to use my ticker on these forums. I have it for my www.obesityhelp.com profile. but I saw other tickers on these forums and thought HECK why not. I'm proud of what I've lost so far.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 430

28, married mother of 1. Stay at home mom, about 1 cake a week, gained weight after baby, back injury, and depression. At my highest weight ever. I am embarassed to go out in public anymore. Went to the gym last year and had to drop membership b/c we couldn't afford it anymore. Don't want my family to worry. I'm glad we have this support group now.

jelmom Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 430

I have pretty good will power when my head is right, so I stick to 1200 calories a day. This helps me stay focused on spreading it out through the day. I do cheat from time to time. Girls night out, date night, etc. I was doing fairly well keeping it off until I got a little down in march. Until then i had only gained back 10 (over christmas).

Mencked Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:43am
post #12 of 430

It is so good to hear from everyone!! I am so looking forward to getting to know everyone better!! And now this Chunky Monkey must get her beauty sleep--I hear that really does help with weight loss--not to mention the ability to have a logical conversation tomorrow!! Good Luck everyone!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:11am
post #13 of 430

I'm a (almost) 35 year old stay at home mom to five kids. I've been married to my hubby for 14 years. I'm 5'7" and weigh about 185. I am not happy with my size. My clothes don't fit well and I'm just uncomfortable!

I'm a stress eater, and sadly, I've been stressed the past few weeks more than usual. My hubsand is a sub-contractor for a security company, but is also a pastor of a small church.

I lead the worship at our church and hate to admit that I don't enjoy it. icon_redface.gif I really love to sing and don't mind doing that every week, but leading the congregational worship is way out of my comfort zone! The only good thing about it is they are paying me to do it, so I use that money for a family membership at the YMCA. OK, the bad part is I have only used the pool and not the exercise facility.

Anyway, I could really use a support group. I don't have any huge goals for weightloss. I mostly would like to begin exercising and just stop snacking!

I wear a size 16 and would be happy with a size 12.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
MessyBaker (Sherri)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:12am
post #14 of 430

I'll join in here icon_biggrin.gif

I quit smoking in November and I've gained 30 lbs since then...the ten percent that they say you'll gain when you quit smoking, plus a little extra (that I'm sure is solid cake). I've always been a big girl but lately I've been a huge girl. I tried to start walking for exercise in January, and got plantar fascitis. I think I also have fibromyalgia, but I haven't been to the doctor for it. It comes and goes, lasts a few months then I might have years without it. It just went away again last month, which I hope means that I can start going to the park with my kids and doing more stuff, now that it doesn't just hurt to move.

I'd have to lose more than half of me to be considered a healthy weight. Right now that's too overwhelming to think about, so my short-term goal is losing enough that I can shop at Lane Bryant instead of Avenue again.

Anyhow, for the person losing weight to help with infertility, I just wanted to tell you that's a really smart move. My husband and I tried for 4 years to have a baby, with no success, and then finally I got pregnant and managed to carry the baby to 36 weeks. A couple of years later, I developed really bad pain around my c-section incision and decided that it was a sign I should lose weight. I lost 80 lbs in 4 months (by eating 1200 calories a day, it seems to be my magic number) and then we had one oops with the birth control (it doesn't apply itself when drunk) and got our second baby. Neither of us could believe it was that easy, considering how much work it took to get the first one icon_biggrin.gif

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:53am
post #15 of 430

Count me in!! I'm 33 and a mother of 2. I work full time in admin (yes sitting on my butt all day!!) and I have a part time cake dec business. I love my kids and want to set a good example for them.

I joined a gym a couple of weeks ago and have so far lost 8.8 pounds. BUT I still need to lose another 90.2 pounds. icon_redface.gif Argh that's discusting!!!

EnjoyTheCake Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:06am
post #16 of 430

It's sad to see there are so many of us, but it's WONDERFUL to see that we all support each other. Whether we have 10 lbs or 100 lbs or more to lose we all know how it feels to have others look at us and comment.

I mean who do these big people think they are to decorate cake and be so big. Don't we have any self control. The fact is most of us do. We didn't get big by decorating or baking. We have other reasons that lead up to it. Even when we get to our goals our struggles don't end. We have to constantly be aware of our weaknesses and work towards improving our lives.

So to all of you who have already posted and those thinking of posting. Congratulations on taking the first step. Acknowledging that you can't do it alone. We are here to help each other and I wish you all the best of luck. We are proud to be LOSERS! thumbs_up.gif

Mencked Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm
post #17 of 430

Isn't amazing to actually write in black and white the amount of weight you need to lose to be healthy, or to actually write down what your weight is!! I still look in the mirrow sometimes and think, "Man am I really that big?"--This thought usually comes when I'm alone and have no one of "normal" size to compare myself to. However, I recently took a trip with old friends and there were many pictures taken of us all, and I was amazed to find myself bearing a striking resemblance to Humpty Dumpty! HA! After coming back from that trip, I have seemed to really be ready to get into attack mode where weight loss is concerned. I've been walking on my treadmill nearly everyday for 3 wks--and believe me, the treadmill is in shock!!! It's been sitting quietly there in the corner for years and can't quite believe it's actually being used for something other than a gigantic Barbie play house (thanks to 10 yr. old daughter)!! I have been really striving to get this walking time in (about 1/2 hour each day) because I have a totally sedantary 9-5 job and must get moving!!! What has everyone else been doing to get the weight loss going?

jelmom Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:04pm
post #18 of 430

My "picture" moment was last year. I was looking through pics from daughter's party, and asked my mom who the woman with the giant rear end was. When she stopped laughing she told me it was me! (My back was turned) It took a week to get over that.LOL
My friend and I started together. We kind of have a competition going, though we are not sure how to judge it. I need to lose 45, she 20. The prize is babysitting hours. This is more for motivation than anything though. We are very competitive with each other.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:15pm
post #19 of 430

I am 22 and live in Texas. I have played the yo-yo diet game a long time. for the last 4 years I have lost weight over the summer just to gain it back in the winter and spring. Last summer I lost 20lbs, and gained it back. This summer I have started again but it is just not coming off. I have lost 3 lbs in a month and a half, this is with diet (1000 cal. a day) and walking 5 miles a day (only missed one day so far). Its discouraging to work hard and get no where but I agree with the idea that support helps. My boyfriend tells me he is really proud of me, though he will love me no matter what size.

Its great to know I am not the only person out there dealing with this, and I wish us all the best in this!

Alicia

EnjoyTheCake Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:47pm
post #20 of 430

For the most successful weight loss don't starve yourself. And don't skip breakfast. Even if breakfast is a protein shake or a slice of toast and coffee. Get something to get your metabolism the jump start it needs to sustain throughout the day.

I also keep a journal at www.obesityhelp.com/member/gamergates. This helps me because I can go back later and say to myself WHAT WAS I THINKING.

For the Texas Chunky Monkeys out there, anyone in North Austin area? I really want a work out buddy.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:55pm
post #21 of 430

There is a chance that there is another thread for weight loss support. I'm not completely sure, but I stumbled across it. I sent a PM to the starter of the thread. We'll see what happens.

The thread is located here http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-579050.html

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:27am
post #22 of 430

I was in on that thread (I think it's the one as there are actually 2 threads) and I was told that I was welcome but the thread had started off for people who wanted to lose 10 pounds or so only. Felt a little bad but was happy that they were nice enough to include a chunky money like me!! icon_lol.gif

EnjoyTheCake Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #23 of 430

Ahh, ok well if that's the case, I have a lot more than 10 lbs to lose.

What do you monkeys do when you have that salt, carb, or sweet craving? Anything cure the cravings for you?

ladyellam Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:10am
post #24 of 430

I either brush my teeth and use listerine-that alone will kill any flavour trying to get into your mouth. Or I will chew peppermint sugar-free gum. Sometimes it works other times no so much.

I just feel so guilty. I lost the weight and went down 8 sizes and I still felt fat. Now that I've put back some weight, it just sucks. I worked so hard and I allowed myself to fail. I'm trying not to put myself down--I've always done that. I tell myself I will try better tomorrow. Something has got to help.

My husband loves me no matter what. He married chunky monkey me and has seen me not so chunky monkey. I just wish for once I could walk down the street and feel sexy. Kind of stupid, huh?

EnjoyTheCake Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:37am
post #25 of 430

Not stupid at all. I think that happens to a lot of women, chunky monkey or not.

I have never really let my size interrupt my feelings of sexiness. Although I have to admit, being smaller (even though I'm still very chunky monkey with extra whipped cream on top) I definately feel better.

As far as the feeling fat when you're not, you may want to consider talking to a professional counselor to help you change the way you see yourself (either in a mirror or in your head). I know not very encouraging, but most women will at some point sabotage their success by their own self doubts.

I wish you the best Ladyellam. You are sexy, no matter what! Just hope you don't get too down on yourself and sabotage your own sexiness.

Mencked Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:01pm
post #26 of 430

I had that stupid carb crave going yesterday and just wanted more, more--I've got to say, I was not very successful at getting over it! I had to bake cakes and so there it was in front of me--so hard to resist! I'll have to keep listerine by the mixer and take a swig every so often!!! CRIPES! I get so disgusted with myself--I've even thought of duct taping my mouth shut during baking activities, or cake leveling activities, or decorating, or cooking supper, or well you get the idea........you know what I mean! I have been doing Weight Watchers on-line so I knew how many "points" I had in for the day (all of them) before the cravings hit, and I swear carbs are addictive for me--have one bite and I just want more and more....I started today out with my 1/2 hour treadmill time (watching a taped Ace of Cakes show) and so I'm at least starting out on the right track for today, but this weekend is a trip to Las Vegas with my just turned 21 year old daughter and 3 other mother/daughter sets and it's going to be tough to be good!! Please pray for me you other chunky monkeys!! Deb--you have given such great advice--thank you so much!!! And Empress Chunky Monkey, face it you are sexy!!! Jelmom--chunky butt picture story so dang funny! Dang, if you can't laugh at yourself, why bother living! Alicia--your workout ethic is so great-how do you fit in the time for the 5 miles/day--I'm sure I would cover that amount of space in a much slower time than you, but I've been getting up at 5 this week and walking before work, but I'm also thinking of trying to fit in another 1/2 hour in the evening--maybe while a cake bakes or icing sets up?! I guess I just need to prioritize!! And MaryAK I'm so glad you're here--Deb's right, we've got a wee bit more to lose than 10 lbs!!!!! Sorry this got so long winded! Have a great day Chunky Monkeys!!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:59pm
post #27 of 430

May I join the chunky monkeys?

I am 50 and need to lose about 70 lbs. I've always battled my weight, but since doing cakes for the last couple of years have packed on 25 - 30 more pounds. I guess because I have less time to exercise plus eating the cake scraps. icon_eek.gif

Anyway, I'm pretty disgusted with myself and need to get rid of the weight. Both my parents are borderline diabetics and they are not even overweight. So it's probably just a matter of time.

I did join sparkpeople.com many months ago, but have never gotten serious about it.

Hopefully, we can all support each other and stay away from our own baking!

Susan

Mencked Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:16pm
post #28 of 430

Welcome Susan!!! I looked at the sparkpeople.com website and it looks really good! We would love to have you in our group! I do think it gets harder and harder to lose extra weight as we get older--I'd always read about it, but it's so true and the cakes really don't help the whole cause!!! Anyway, so glad to have you with us!!

ladyellam Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:01pm
post #29 of 430

As Queen Diane--We HAVE to call her that ( i think it's in her job description lol)--said Welcome. The more, the chunkier monkey it is.

So I'm going to pose a question to you all. If you could take a pill and be a perfect size for your height/frame for the rest of your life but would lose 5 years off your life, would you?

I'll answer that question-absolutely and I'll tell you why. I figure my kids will put me in some raisin ranch and my last years won't be that great. At least for some great years ahead I could wear me some Roberto Cavalli, Chanel, or even Armani. Totally would do it!!

But until then, I will eat right and try and do it the old fashioned way. Why is it so easy to eat a big piece of cake but not so easy to get my butt on the treadmill? I think it's a government conspiracy lol.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:31pm
post #30 of 430

Man, for me, this summer has been the worst for piggin-out! This has been our first summer with a baby in five years. I forgot how stressful that can be.

The whole family is completely off schedule. My first grader shares a room with the baby(8 months) and I think she has slept in her own bed once since school has been out! She ha been camping out in the other bed rooms.

I am so hoping when school starts back, to get in a habit of exercising. But the holidays are on their way and that dang turkey gets me every year!

And ladyellam, I answer that question when I see the pill! icon_lol.gif

Sherri (MessyBaker)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%