Do You Own A 20Qt Hobart

Business By sweetcakes Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 3:16am by leah_s

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 28

i just got one of these, it weighs 200lb empty, where do you have yours sitting. My DH doesn;t want it on the counter, so i'll need to get a table, seems like those aren;t cheap either. what does yours sit on??

27 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #2 of 28

It has a dedicated stainless steel table. It's also screwed onto the table so I can never, ever pick it up. It's a safety thing since I have teenagers working in my kitchen.

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:11am
post #3 of 28

Mine also sits on a stand that came with it. It's probably a foot to 18 inchs high. It would be too tall to use if it sat on the counter I would think, and hard on your back if it sat on the floor. I got it at a used resteraunt(sp?) supply store.

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:15am
post #4 of 28

brnrlvr, my table is standard height. I like being able to pull the bowl out and just slide it down the counter. My back is too old to lift a heavy bowl from 18" off the floor! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Seriously, the height is not an issue ... me and my mixer get along great! thumbs_up.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:17am
post #5 of 28

I wish I owned a 20qt. Hobart mixer!!!! That bad boy might even have its' own room!!!

brnrlvr Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:35am
post #6 of 28

It really does cut down on time!

Debi-Hmm. You can scrape it down okay that high?

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:42am
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by brnrlvr

It really does cut down on time!

Debi-Hmm. You can scrape it down okay that high?

I don't have to scrape the sides very often at all .... I let the mixer do the work. If there is any dry at the top of the bowl, I just mix it in with a couple of stirs once I remove the bowl. But if I have to get a spatula in there, yes I can with no hardship.

I've read lots of suggestions and seen a few videos about scraping down the bowl during the mixing process, but I've just never had a need to do that.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:47am
post #8 of 28

We have one because it really is the ideal size. If it were any bigger, it would be too tough for one person to empty. Ours is on a stand we had made about 22 inches off the ground. We love the Hobie.

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:51am
post #9 of 28

I agree it's a great size. The site where I do my fraternity caterings, they have a floor model 747 size mixer! 40? 50? No idea. Anyway ... I was baking cookies for the frats and I carried my KA out there. The guy at the site told me I was welcome to use their mixer. I said, "I'm not firing that big thing up! Lifting the empty bowl to wash it would be too much work for that alone!"

The next year when I was out there, this mixer was still looking brand new. The guy told me their on-staff cook refuses to use it 'coz it's too big. They are trying to sell it.

So if anyone's looking for a mixer big enought to take a bath in, PM me! icon_biggrin.gif

brnrlvr Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #10 of 28

One of my friends had her daughters b-day party at my place. They own a local pizza joint and make all their own doughs and such. When she came in and saw my 20qt, she said, "Oh a baby mixer! It's so cute!" (They use a 40 or something). Not the reaction I usually get! icon_smile.gif

Lesia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesia Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:04am
post #11 of 28

I have one. When I was actually using it in my shop (it's now in storage in my garage), I sat it on top of a formica laminated board (I think it was actually a cabinet door that I purchased separately at Home Depot) on top of 2 concrete blocks. I'm kinda short, and if it were up on a table, I'd have had difficulty seeing into the bowl, or even removing it, for that matter! It worked great for me. The formica covered board provided the "washable surface" requirement, and the concrete blocks provided the "6 inches off the floor" requirement for the health dept.

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:12am
post #12 of 28

I have one and LOVE it! I was running out of funds when it came time to buy a stand for it so we made one from wood and painted it with enamel and sealed the legs to the floor with silicone so it won't rot the wood. Board of health did not have an issue with it.

Mine is 22" tall, mixer is mounted to the table and the table is anchored to the wall frame. That puppy is never moving. icon_lol.gif I've seen bigger mixers fall over from stupid mistakes and was not taking any chances!!!!

Bunniefluf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunniefluf Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:27am
post #13 of 28

Okay, I've seen the giant mixers on TV...the bathtub size...but can someone please post a pic of a 20qt machine? icon_redface.gif Just wondering what one looks like... icon_smile.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:38am
post #14 of 28

are we playing who has the biggest? icon_smile.gif that may me me! I have something like a 40 quart, not sure how big but you could also take a bath in it.
it stands almost 5 feet tall. I love it!
BUT
it is in my old basement kitchen, and I moved to a bakery....we are not moving up those basement stairs!

so it is collecting dust, sob.
washing it is a pain in the butt.
it can whip a huge amount of butter cream icing at once,
and like 12 cake mixes at once.
(on low speed or you have liquid flying everywhere, lesson I learned the hard way)

melody

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 6:02am
post #15 of 28

I have one... it's currently sitting on the tripple depth counter in the garage icon_cry.gif because I don't have a licensed kitchen up and running yet. I believe they said mine came over on the Mayflower icon_lol.gif I got a SUPER good deal to purchase it, but after getting it up here I now either need to find someone to do some upkeep on it up here or I need to haul it back home and have our detail shop guy give it a new coat of paint (I was thinking of getting some blue flames painted on the white... icon_rolleyes.gif ).. But, even if I put $200-300 into it, I'm still money ahead of purchasing it used from anyone (including ebay).

I kid you not though.. If I walk past a 24" tall SS stand (regardless of if it's the one that'll just sit the mixer or the one large enough that I can use for pre & post oven, that baby's coming home with Momma so I can at least use it in the house like some of my other baking friends do (they've got a place for it to "camp out" then they can wheel it out when they need it, and I think I've got the perfect closet spot for temp storage) icon_biggrin.gif

There is the lower Stainless Countertop that works great for it otherwise on a non-wheeled SS countertop works great. On wheels that thing will jiggle itself across the room locks on or not icon_surprised.gif

I agree though, it's JUST the right size because it's not so big the bowl won't fit into the sink, and not so small that it won't fill the average sized small baker's oven...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 6:36am
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunniefluf

Okay, I've seen the giant mixers on TV...the bathtub size...but can someone please post a pic of a 20qt machine? icon_redface.gif Just wondering what one looks like... icon_smile.gif

Hobart 20 qt. mixer:

http://www.globeequipment.com/vendors/Hobart/HOB!HL200.html

http://www.zesco.com/products.cfm?subCatID=378&PGroupID=ZP99172003
(Check out the accessory items.)

HTH

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:41pm
post #17 of 28

I'll be down at the shop this afternoon (bride sampling appt and I have to bake the 300 cookies) so I'll get a pic of the mixer .... I'll get my daughter to stand next to it so you can see it in proportion....

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #18 of 28

all the bakeries i worked at had a 60 quart, and a 20 quart...the 20 quart was always a stainless steel table...it was never bolted or anything...you could scoot it down if you wanted to...but it was hard to move.

i decided to split the difference and get a 30 quart...it took 3 guys to move it in, it's about as tall as me so it sits on the floor.

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:30am
post #19 of 28

Here's me next to my 20 quart .. on a regular height counter/table. (thanks, kid who took the picture, for not telling me my sexy red bra strap was showing!) icon_redface.gif
LL

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:38am
post #20 of 28

HOT HOT HOT INDY! whoo hoo!

i wanna get one too...it seems like a smaller one would be better for cookie dough.

i saw one on ebay a couple years ago that went for 300!

the shipping prolly woulda stung tho.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:23am
post #21 of 28

LOL... only on a cake board do you see a strip tease done and everyone's just looking at the mixer icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:37am
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Here's me next to my 20 quart .. on a regular height counter/table. (thanks, kid who took the picture, for not telling me my sexy red bra strap was showing!) icon_redface.gif

WoooHoooo Debi. What do you wear when you show off the convection oven? LOLOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:59am
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Nice Beaters!

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:23am
post #24 of 28

You guys are hysterical!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:28am
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

LOL... only on a cake board do you see a strip tease done and everyone's just looking at the mixer icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

Oh, man....this one made me laugh to the point of tears. I love it!

Bunniefluf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunniefluf Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:37am
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

Oh, man....this one made me laugh to the point of tears. I love it!

HA! HA! HA!! Yeah, me too!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks JanH for posting the hyperlinks to the Hobart; and thank you IndyDebi for the proportional 'strip tease' photo!! icon_lol.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:07am
post #27 of 28

too funny about the stripe tease!

hehe

thanks for the exitment!

melody

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #28 of 28

I'm certainly not the sex kitten that Indy is, but I also have a 20 qt Hobart and love it. When we bought it at the restaurant supply store, used, we were "just gonna throw it in the back of the truck, then sit it on the kitchen counter." Yeah, right. The thing is, at the restaurant supply store it looked - small.

In reality we couldnn't lift it. Had to have it delivered. Also had to get a 24" stainless steel table for it to sit on, because we were afraid it woud have gone right thru my ktchen cabinet. Then we didn't like the way it looked just sitting out in the kitchen, so we had a closet constructed around it. So basically my Hobart has it's own room. icon_smile.gif I do love it though. it's the perfect size. I can mix up a lot, and still lift the bowl and move it around.

::whistles a cat call at Indy::

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%