The *original* Wasc Cake Recipe

Baking By kakeladi Updated 16 Jul 2018 , 12:21am by onecakelady

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 9:33am
post #1 of 146

O.k. everybody......
I was the original poster of this recipe yrs ago on the 'net.
Rebecca S. took my recipe, tweaked it to her needs, enlarging it.

Here is the *ORIGINAL* WASC recipe:

Kakeladi's ORIGINAL WASC
1 pkg Betty Crocker white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3 whole eggs (even for white cakes)
1 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon almond emulsion (stronger than flavoring)

In a bowl, mix 1st 3 ingredients. (see notes below) Set aside.
Place remaining ingredients in mixer bowl then add the dry.
Mix on low (I use a KA mixer) speed for 30 seconds, until dry ingredients are incorporated; mix at medium 2 minutes.
This makes 1 & 1/2 times the usual batter than a 'straight' cake mix. It will fill one of the following pans: 8" sq; 12" round; 9x13x2; OR one 10" and 6" round.
Pour into pan(s) and bake as you usually do. I prefere to bake at 300 degrees F. for 20 minutes, then turn oven up to 325 degrees F. for an equal time OR until you can smell cake icon_smile.gif If it has pulled away from the edges of the pan it is *over done*. You should have a flat cake that won't (usually) need leveling & is not sticky on the top when it cools.

Special NOTES:
That's right.......there is NO oil, butter or margarine in this recipe.
Use large eggs.
If almond extract (not emulsion) is used, add 2 teaspoons or to taste.
Can use ANY cake flavor
Flavorings can change depending on cake flavor you use. Try a combination of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavoring and 1/4 part almond.
It is important to mix the dry ingredients well especially if using a chocolate mix or you will have white spots in the finished cake. I use a wire wisk.

145 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:05am
post #2 of 146

Hi kakeladi, do you have a scratch cake recipe for this? I'm trying to find one for a lond time. But not succesful.

Many thanks for posing this anyway.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:13am
post #3 of 146

yeah a scratch recipe would be nice too. thanks for sharing this!

bejewelled Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bejewelled Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:25am
post #4 of 146

this looks great, can't wait to try it

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:35am
post #5 of 146

btw how many cupcakes will this make per batch?

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:21am
post #6 of 146

kakeladi,
Thank you for posting this! her recipe has been here for so long, how come you haven't posted YOURS again before now???

Since I'm not into the scratch cakes, or experimenting, have a question....
what is the difference between using whole eggs vs. whites; adding the oil; adding the salt that she does.
The rest just seems like she doubled everything.

Thank you so much, as normally I would have just halved hers.

I don't want the scratch for the box mix, just wondered about the other ingredients.

kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 146

Right now I do not have a scratch recipe.
Over the next 4-5 months I can work on coming up with one but I will be baking at a *very* high elevation (8,500 ft) so that will effect the overall out come of the recipe.

The difference between only egg whites & whole eggs: Overall you will have a stronger cake using whole eggs. If you need/want a truer white color only white can be use but to me the differece is so slight it's not worth the loss of strength.
Ooooopps I forgot the salt - as usual! I seldom remember to add a generous dash of salt.
Some people say adding oil to a mix makes a better 'crumb'. I have stopped adding it once I found out you can make it w/o and still have a very tasty, moist cake. I discovered that when reading about sub'ing applesauce (or any fruit puree) for oil in recipes.

I will be off line (traveling) for about 3 weeks so if I don't answer your ?s in a timely manor it's because I don't have internet connection.
Happy baking everbodyicon_smile.gif

vickymacd Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:23pm
post #8 of 146

Thank you and safe traveling!

vickymacd Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 146

Just made this cake and long story short, it's delicious! I did add the 1/4 tsp. of salt as well. It took almost an hour to bake though. Then when the middle was done, the outside was a little 'more done'. But it really was wonderful!! And adding the whole eggs still gave it the white cake. I also used the Princess bouquet emulsion instead of the almond.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:20am
post #10 of 146

Thanks for posting this. I've made her version and like it, can't wait to try the original.

vickymacd Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:31am
post #11 of 146

From what I can tell, Kakeladi was the originator with the above recipe. Then RebeccaS took that recipe and basically doubled it and tweeked it a bit.

Both are excellent recipes. First time I've used the Princess emulsion though. Don't know if I could really tell any difference, but it was delicious. I would probably tend to use kakeladi's since it makes just one 9 x 13 or one cake. RebeccaS's made too much for me. If I had a lot of cupcakes or cakes to make, I'd use the larger recipe. But using the whole eggs is more ecconomical now with the prices going up.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:40am
post #12 of 146

Thank you for sharing this one!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:51am
post #13 of 146

I tried whatever recipe was floating around here for the past couple years and tweaked THAT one to my needs -- I'm looking forward to trying this one as well. Thanks for sharing!! icon_biggrin.gif

vickymacd Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:56am
post #14 of 146

I'm not sure what recipe you've tweeked as there are too many on CC for me to keep track of, but the one we're talking about here is the WASC one.

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:58am
post #15 of 146

One of my favorite recipes, thanks for the post.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:59am
post #16 of 146

I tweaked the WASC recipe -- the one calling for egg whites. There are several variations of it floating around as well on this site, some use a yellow cake with whole eggs and some add bananas or puddings, etc. etc. But then again, you can never have too many cake recipes! icon_biggrin.gif

vickymacd Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:02am
post #17 of 146

bobwonderbuns,
I didn't know that! I guess you can do so much with that recipe. I thought I was doing some 'big stuff' using Princess emulsion. Ha, ha.

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:21am
post #18 of 146

Thanks, Kakeladi, for posting the original recipe.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:57am
post #19 of 146

Ah so you are the real Yoda of the WASC...I have to confess to you that I somewhat recently posted a thread here on CC that I was not too impressed with the WASC and for others to post one they thought was better. I didnt know there was an original and now I must try yours.
Thanks so much for posting this thread.
In that post though, I mentioned the "type" of AP Flour. Do you suggest a bleached AP flour or unbleached? I can post a shortcut to that thread if you would like me to where I explain what the effect is of both. But I would really like to know your thoughts on it (esp since you will be experimenting on a scratch one this year. icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:35am
post #20 of 146

wrightway777,
Now you have ME wondering if there is a difference. I just buy flour from the store. Never thought it really mattered.
What's the link, please?

kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:30pm
post #21 of 146

Yes, I saw that post. One of the main reasons I posted my original recipeicon_smile.gif
I usually use Gold Medal....which I think is bleached.

I'm on the road, traveling & don't have internet connection all the time so if I dont' answer right away I'm not ignoring you....I'll answer when I can connect and spend some time......

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:55pm
post #22 of 146

I'll have to give your version a whirl Lynne! I tried the other one.... I didn't think it was as moist as my usual cake, tasted ok...but I like 'um moist icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:19pm
post #23 of 146

Thanks for posting this. I've made Rebecca's several times. I have started using 3 whole eggs instead of 4 whites b/c I think it makes it hold up better & taste better as well. I also thought that there was too much water in the recipe. The batter seems too thin. I've gradually started decreasing the water & have seen better results. I think next time, I use 1 cup as suggested in your recipe. I usually use vanilla & creme bouquet in mine.
Thanks.

vickymacd Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:43pm
post #24 of 146

kakeladi,
You crack me up! Each post you say is your LAST! Ha, ha.

Just for the record for all of you, kakeladi's recipe is DELICIOUS. And I like the fact that it makes a 9x13 or rounds, as I have no need to make a ton of it!! I'm just a baker for my family, not a professional. So this makes just the right amount!! And tastes like a wedding cake which is my favorite cake flavor!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:31pm
post #25 of 146

I've made a ton of WASC cakes and guess I was using Rebecca's version. It's my favorite wedding white cake. Most of the time I just use the whole egg as it doesn't seem to make an lot of difference. I have used this recipe with a chocolate mix too and it was delish.

I'll sure be trying kakeladi's original recipe. Thanks for posting it.

Happy/safe travels!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:50pm
post #26 of 146

I use the chocolate version of Rebecca's tweaked version of WASC cake, and the other day I made the most delicious mistake EVER! I halved the recipe (so I was using 1 box of Chocolate Fudge mix, 1 c sugar, 1 c flour, etc) but I forgot to cut the number of eggs from 6 to 3. I noticed that the batter was thinner than usual but I went ahead and baked it anyway. Well, it turned out to be the most AMAZING chocolate cake I have ever tried - and I've tried a dozen or more recipes over the years. I think we all tweak recipes to suit our particular needs, and then call that tweaked version "our own." I now have "my own" tweaked version based on a simple mistake. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

You rock, Kakeladi. Thanks for being the originator. I hope it doesn't hurt your feelings that others have made adjustments to your original recipe. I saw in another thread that someone got their panties in a huge bunch over others tweaking her recipe, and she removed it from this site. Farking ridiculous!!!!!!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:46pm
post #27 of 146

Cakepro, The DH choc fudge is what I use for the choc version and it's wonderful. I've also used ganache flavored with cherry sherry with it and it was delish.

vickymacd Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:45pm
post #28 of 146

Cakepro,
She removed her panties from the site???? Yikes!! This is really a wild site!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:29am
post #29 of 146

so I can just use a chocolate cake mix instead of the white cake mix right? am gonna try this today! icon_biggrin.gif

ETA

cupcakes are out of the oven. they look good! icon_biggrin.gif

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 7:13am
post #30 of 146

Kakeladi,

I have a question... I love the recipe but now that you mention it in the original post... my tops are always sticky? Why is that and what do I need to do to not have sticky tops? I cut them off anyway... but this is the only recipe where I have this problem? Any thoughts to this?

Thanks a bunch,

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%