Do You Know How Is This Cake Constructed? I'm Mystified!

Decorating By wrightway777 Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 6:37pm by howsweet

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:04am
post #1 of 36

How is this cake constructed? I have a book with this same "layout" but it never tells the "inner story" if you know what I mean.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1199045.html

35 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:35am
post #2 of 36

would love to know too!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:59am
post #3 of 36

Me too!! I have never seen that one....it is great! Maybe that will be what can make my nephews cake different this week...

kendi25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendi25 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:19am
post #4 of 36

me too - I would love to know

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:30am
post #5 of 36

have you tried pm-ing the artist?

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 36

if they are not dummies, the cakes are placed on sturdy cake boards, then placed on top of one another.

Off set

Then a center dowel holds everything together.

I like putting 2 center dowels side by side because I don't like my cakes having the off chance to spin around the center dowel like a crazy stripper.

lol

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 36

Stripper cakes...now there is an idea. icon_wink.gif

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 36

You ladies make me laugh!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 36

wow...that's an interesting structure!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 36

ButterWench- you make it sound SOOOOOOO simple! icon_eek.gif

If I tried that it would end up looking like skyscraper hit by an earthquake! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:40pm
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButterWench

to spin around the center dowel like a crazy stripper.

lol

My first thought was a pole dancer who couldn,t get off the "ride"

HAHAHAHAHA....

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 36

I think the plate and dowel must be glued to keep it from spinning, and give it strength.. then a center dowel all the way thru.. p.s. I would probably core out the part around the dowel for each tier... hope that makes sense

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:24pm
post #13 of 36

On one of the Food Challenges - the Cartoon one, where Mike did Scooby Doo - he did something similar.

IF I remember correctly, he used a PVC pipe and then, like Butterwench said, used STURDY boards. I vaguely remember, but want to say that he had a little 'platform for the cake to rest upon.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:26pm
post #14 of 36

a little engineering help.

it's the cantilever in action (go frank lloyd wright and "falling water"!)

really very simple principle

so long as over hang does not exceed more than about 1/3 the dimension (length or width) it should stay put by itself (barring earthquakes, additional loads, children in case of cakes)

now...another secret to the cantilever -- if the part sticking out has something sitting (applying force down) over the area that is over the support -- even more can stick out.

So.......

in diagram....

12" square base -- black line

10" middle cake -- blue line -- offset so about 2 inches hangs off the two edges (this is well w/in the 1/3 of width tolerance -- could go almost to 3 inches.)

then a 6" x 12" top layer -- which works two ways....
A) it exerts downward force on the middle layer helping to keep it from tipping over.
b) it over hangs by 4 inches -- 1/3 it's total width. that combined with 2 or more central dowels keeps it from going tippy.

sizes of tiers can be changed so long as stay with the no more than 1/3 overhang.

---

as for Mike McCary's method -- he uses flanges that attach to the PVC and then you can bolt a piece of wood or masonite to them.
LL

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:19am
post #15 of 36

Ah Doug- you've solved the mystery for us! icon_biggrin.gif

Looks like if I ever decide to try this, I'm gonna need the help of my civil engineer son! icon_lol.gif

PS-thanks for the diagram!

Tallmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallmama Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:27am
post #16 of 36

but what happened to the stripper?

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:35am
post #17 of 36

LOL!! She Fell Off!!
Just kidding!!
Kathy icon_biggrin.gif

cheferyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheferyn Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:36am
post #18 of 36

Doug, you are to smart for me. I think I understand but I can't be sure. Thank God hubby is an engineer. Maybe I'll try this one day. I like the stripper idea.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:43am
post #19 of 36

OMG that takes the girl jumping out of the cake to a whole new level!! LOL

wrightway777 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:31pm
post #20 of 36

Doug! Whoa! Thanks so much! Question though: "direct force" has me concerned (esp for fondant and no filling leakage)....do you just dowel each individual cakes as you always would?

This is one of those posts thats worth a million dollars!

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm
post #21 of 36

Wow, beautiful cake. Thanks for the tips, Doug.

Doug Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:01pm
post #22 of 36

direct force as in the weight of the cake above on the cake below.

and then the dowels as per usual (both tier support and all the way through)

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:09pm
post #23 of 36

(sigh) Isn't Doug fabulous!?

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:14pm
post #24 of 36

All, I gotta say about Doug is that hed better be glad that he lives far far away from me. A man who likes to bake, and construct, and is super smart? I would be on him like white on rice.

Thanks for the diagram Doug, I think I am going to try one oof them in the future, it would look SUPER cute with baby blocks. In pastel colors. Maybe add some teddy bears, rattles, and all things baby to punch it up a bit...Ahhh, now THAT idea is going in the idea bank.

wrightway777 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:56am
post #25 of 36

Doug - I think you have an official fan base now! Ok being serious -
1. what would you suggest as the strongest cake base for each tier? Foamcore at a certain thickness?

2. would your 4 support dowels be bolted into the bottom cake plate for support?

Also I'm not visualizing how Mike McCary does his version - how would it be hidden? Any insight obviously is greatly appreciated.

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:16am
post #26 of 36

Thanks Doug your explanation helped! How's the website comming along?

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:17am
post #27 of 36

lol, doug to the rescue once again. doug you remind me of the scene in napoleon dynamite where napoleon asks pedro how he plans to ask the popular girl to the dance...and pedro says..."i don't know...build her a cake or something." it sounds hilarious when he says it like that--who builds a cake?? but now we know: doug is the builder of cakes.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:20am
post #28 of 36

Who is that masked man??

Doug, I see your posts often. You always have so many thoughtful and intelligent answers. Just wondering what you do for a living or what your education is. Well, that is, IF you are willing to take off the mask! icon_lol.gif

Doug Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 8:46pm
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

Doug - I think you have an official fan base now! Ok being serious -
1. what would you suggest as the strongest cake base for each tier? Foamcore at a certain thickness?

2. would your 4 support dowels be bolted into the bottom cake plate for support?

Also I'm not visualizing how Mike McCary does his version - how would it be hidden? Any insight obviously is greatly appreciated.

I'd use masonite -- thin and sturdy -- way more so than foam core and you can screw things too it.

yes, could bolt the bases to the dowels -- but w/ careful (gutsy!?!) balancing shouldn't be necessary.

as for mike's method -- the sketch below for a PVC pipe tree may help. the flanges go by different names depending upon use (one for example is called a nipple flange -- it's used w/ metal pipe) -- go to Home Depot or Lowes and head for the plumbing section and ask about flanges .. they'll be able to show you how they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Who is that masked man??

Doug, I see your posts often. You always have so many thoughtful and intelligent answers. Just wondering what you do for a living or what your education is. Well, that is, IF you are willing to take off the mask! icon_lol.gif

from my profile -- job: "education of the hormonally insane" -- aka high school teacher -- theatre! (set design SO similar to cake design) and English and Journalism: Newspaper. BA: Theatre & Communications, MA: Communication Arts. Also click on the "member spotlight" and look at the little writeup there.
LL

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:25pm
post #30 of 36

Doug is the best, his diagrams & words of wisdom have saved most of us at sometime. Doug you are top of the list when it comes to help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%