Suggestions For Making A Moist White Cake??

Decorating By merly Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 2:45am by BCJean

merly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merly Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 22

Has anyone had any luck finding a recipe for a white cake that is moist? If so, would you please share it? I'm having a really hard time finding one and my experiments aren't exactly succeeding... Thanks!!!

21 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 22

i have the book-cakemix doctor and for white cake it says to add whole eggs instead of just the whites. i tried this and the cake was yummy and moist! icon_lol.gif

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 22

I also add the whole eggs to the white cake mix, I also add 1/2 cup of oil instead of a 1/3 of a cup. And if you can get it a teaspoon of butter vanilla to each cake mix. I also bake a 325 instead of 350 it takes a little longer but i have had nothing but good results. My butter vanilla is made by magic line. It really makes a difference.
Hope that helps
LaLa

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 22

i've never heard of butter vanilla...does it smell just like it sounds??? icon_confused.gif

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 22

try using buttermilk instead of water in a doctored mix- YUM! icon_biggrin.gif

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 22

Yes...butter-vanilla smells like it sounds. Sometimes I even think it almost smells "rum"-ish. But it's good. It's an emulsion...I get mine at my local cake supply store. You only need a little, thus the tsp. measurement, because it is thick and concentrated.

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 22

It's wonderful!!! I've gotten it on my clothes several time and I've gotten nothing but compliments about how good I smell. But honestly it is an amazing product.

krystalp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystalp Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 22

try this recipe... http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/102696
it's so moist and yummy. it's the only white cake i make now. it has cream of coconut in it, but you really can't taste the coconut flavor. i don't usually use the cream cheese frosting it calls for, just my usual buttercream. delish!!

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 22

same here, I also use whole eggs, but use whole milk as well.

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 22

I use the White Almond Sour Cream cake from this website and everyone raves over it.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:19pm
post #11 of 22

I second the vote for the recipe krystalp suggested with the cream of coconut. I use that same exact recipe and it makes a perfect white cake IMO.

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #12 of 22

I had the BEST white cake in my life this weekend! The girl who made it said it was her own recipe. All I know is she did add some egg yolks to it and I believe she said she melted her butter. She also added a mixture of buttermilk and sour cream. Everyone at the party said it was like a piece of heaven! I wish I had the recipe icon_sad.gif

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #13 of 22

I always add a small package of white chocolate pudding to each cake box and only use Duncan Hines. It has been a proven winner each time for me icon_smile.gif

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #14 of 22

I use the Epicurious recipe as well, and it is awesome! Super moist and you cannot taste the coconut. Yummy!!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #15 of 22

I use Sylvia Weinstock's white cake recipe for scratch white cakes. I'm pretty sure I've posted the recipe here before.

daisy114 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:31pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

I use Sylvia Weinstock's white cake recipe for scratch white cakes. I'm pretty sure I've posted the recipe here before.

I couldn't find it in the recipes. Is it under another name?

Chef_Stef Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:38pm
post #17 of 22

Try a general search with Sylvia Weinstock's name...

or you could search my posts specifically.

If you can't find it, I'll dig it out; it's pretty basic.

It also works great with the CoffeeMate flavors added to it, to make any variety of flavored cakes.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:57pm
post #18 of 22

Rebecca Rather's White on White Buttermilk Cake. I just started using this instead of the one I've been using, and it's so good. A google search will provide you with the recipe.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:13am
post #19 of 22

I like the white butter cake from the Cake Bible and I use a little flavored simple syrup on it and it keeps it very moist.

Chef_Stef Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:03am
post #20 of 22

Yep, the Cake Bible white velvet butter cake is great, too! Forgot that one...

daisy114 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:12am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalp

try this recipe... http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/102696
it's so moist and yummy. it's the only white cake i make now. it has cream of coconut in it, but you really can't taste the coconut flavor. i don't usually use the cream cheese frosting it calls for, just my usual buttercream. delish!!

For this cake, is it possible to substitute sour cream for the coconut cream?

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:45am
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy114

For this cake, is it possible to substitute sour cream for the coconut cream?

I don't think you could make that substitution. It is cream of coconut, not coconut cream. It is sweetened and more like condensed milk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%