Sugar Shacks Icing

Decorating By nancylynwallace Updated 16 May 2008 , 8:54pm by SugarBakerz

nancylynwallace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylynwallace Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:59am
post #1 of 24

I'm new to cc and keep seeing comments about Sugar Shack's buttercream icing. Can someone give me the recipe?

Thank you!
Nancy

23 replies
kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 24

Go to "Search" or "Recipes" and put in "Sugarshacks Buttercream Icing"

nancylynwallace Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 24

Thank you...DUH, I didn't even think of that

Nancy

lolabunny7178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolabunny7178 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 24

I'm not sure if you saw on the other posts but she also has a youtube video showing how she makes it. It's great, it was really helpful. I'm not sure how to post the link, or I would, I guess you could search for sugarshack video's on youtube.

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 24

Sugarshack's youtube.com video:

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylynwallace Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 24

Thank you, you guys are the greatest!! I am HOOKED on this website because of the nice people like you!!

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 24

Do you use this icing recipe for borders and roses as well?

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:36am
post #9 of 24

Hello Tonimarie,
I use Sharon's (Sugarshack) bc icing recipe, yes, I do use it for roses and borders. Only one time did I have trouble, but that was because I got my icing to thin...I added to much liquid. Hope that helps you out.

God Bless,
Sharon

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm
post #10 of 24

thank you sharon!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:24am
post #11 of 24

Your Welcome Tonimarie!

God Bless,
Sharon

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 24

I don't do a lot of cakes but I made some a month ago or so and have kept in the freezer. It has worked well on everything I tried, fbct, borders, cupcakes. I haven't made any roses with it but I think it would do Wonderfully. icon_biggrin.gif

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 24

I made this today and really like the consistency.

kellygray79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellygray79 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:50pm
post #14 of 24

Have any of you done a cake with her icing on a cake that was outside? I am doing a wedding cake the first week in May in Texas so it should be in the 80's and it will be in the shade bue I was curious if anyone could tell me their experience. I love her icing recipe it has been GREAT! I did have to experiment with the amount of powdered sugar b/c we are way above sea level on the caprock in Lubbock, Texas but it has been a godsend!!!

kellygray79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellygray79 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:34pm
post #15 of 24

bump

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:28pm
post #16 of 24

I have not done one outside, but my thoughts are that it will not melt if in the shade, but of course it will probably sweat.

HTH

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:51pm
post #17 of 24

I have another side question: I made Sugarshack's icing last weekend (wonderful icon_biggrin.gif ) and used some of it last night. I seemed to have alot of air in or something, because it wasn't nearly as smooth as it was when I first made it. Are you supposed to re-beat it before using it again? I know it sounds dumb, sorry icon_redface.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 16 May 2008 , 3:42pm
post #18 of 24

Sweetpea, I experienced the same problem. I waited a few days, and then wanted to mix in colors. Sorry I don't have a fix!

I used a hot spatula and it smoothed out perfectly.

Does the recipe lend itself to chocolate? Anyone know how much cocao powder to add?

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 16 May 2008 , 3:48pm
post #19 of 24

Rocketgirl-

she mentioned a chocolate version on another post. I don't know how to link it, but this is what i copied.

Quote:
Quote:

choc recipe:

2.5 cups butter
2,5 cups short
splash vanilla
dump in cocoa ( dont measure)
5 pounds PS
coffee creamer liquid as needed

crusts well, no fridge needed. YAY!

I used the hot spatula also and it worked pretty well, but it just wasn't as easy as last week!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:03pm
post #20 of 24

Just try stirring it down with a spoon. That's what I do to get the sir out. And I always stir bc well after it's been sitting.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:08pm
post #21 of 24

thanks for the chocolate recipe!!. Only fresh icing for me from now on as well icon_smile.gif

My bf this year requested a PLAIN chocolate birthday cake. I have been racking my brain for what "plain" is. I am use to 3d cars, characters, and crazy cakes, and he says plain. grr.

So I decided to make it the smoothest chocolate cake with a simple border and great tasting... Sugarshacks plain icing is amazing, so I can only imagine the chocolate. Does she suggest any flavorings? (besides coffee types)

For dinner I am making him a meatloaf "cake" iced in mashed potatoe that I saw on Martha Stewart icon_smile.gif lol.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:23pm
post #22 of 24

I only use shortening in my icing for this recipe... mainly because it is humid and hot down here in SE Alabama.... I haven't had any problems with this icing at all.... it is beautiful to use, beautiful to smooth and creates beautiful trim... I am working on a cake right now with drop flowers on the sides of the tiers and they hung on the side like champions!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 16 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #23 of 24

Lori,

I was wondering about the butter... I live in FL.. and we are friends hot and humid icon_smile.gif

I will leave it out. And see how it tasts that way.

Carol I will try mixing it better as well icon_smile.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:54pm
post #24 of 24

I haven't ever put butter in the sugarshack version... only shortening and my customers rave about it. Her icing recipe produces such a silky textured icing, and the flavor is just right when using the recipe with shortening only. I have never had a problem with this icing, I pray I can say that in a month when we really get slammed. Let us know how your "try" goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%