Iso Really Good! Pumpkin Roll And Applesauce Cake Recipes!!!

Baking By OhMyGoodies Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 4:44pm by bobwonderbuns

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:29am
post #1 of 18

Hey gang. My husband's ex-mother in law tells me tonight that she sells Applesauce cakes and Pumpkin rolls to her friends at the bar (yeah I know lmfao) every year and makes a killing off them. I've been thinking for a while of adding these to my recipes and offerings but I need REALLY GOOD recipes for them to make them a hit. She refuses to share her recipes with me or anyone for that matter, she has never even shared them with her children lol.

I found a pumpkin roll recipe on Allrecipes.com and found the Applesauce cake recipe here but I'm not too keen on either of them... I want these to be "to die for" good lol... basically I wanna out do her's lmfao. She USED to do cakes and cake decorating and such so she's very knitpicky when we talk about my business and such and she is very honest and open and doesn't really care what anyone else thinks about what she says or who she hurts... so she tells it like it is or how she sees it so she likes to tell me alot of times that I'm still a beginner and need to get more practice in and such before opening a shop and getting licensed and such...

Anyway I need some killer recipes here people so help me out! icon_biggrin.gif

Also wondering... I don't have a jelly roll pan can I use a sheet pan? Just not filling it so much? How much batter would I use for a jelly/pumpkin roll???

17 replies
crazycakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes2007 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 18

How annoying that she won't share her recipe. I have a great, moist pumpkin quick bread that is great with or without nuts, cranberries or raisens, but no pumpkin roll. I love the idea of a filled rolled cake, so I hope you will share if you find your killer recipe? I'm at work now, but pm me if you or anyone would like the quick bread recipe.

I admire your amazing oompha for starting your business, good for you!. Don't let the turkeys get you down. <<<Cheryl

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 18

I use the pumpkin roll recipe from www.verybestbaking.com (here's the link http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=131090 ) I don't know if it will "knock your socks off", but I like it a lot and always get compliments on it. At the very least, it should give you an idea of how much batter you should use. I would think you can use a cookie sheet, but I'm not sure about that one. Best Wishes to you!!

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 18

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=32372 This is the standard Libby recipe. Leave out the nuts. They can cause problems in cutting and rolling. Do buy a jelly roll pan. It makes a great cookie sheet.

Ginnycakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginnycakes3 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 12:39am
post #6 of 18

Wow, I just made an applesauce cake this evening and it is yummy. I came up with the recipe last year after experimenting with a basic applesauce batter and my family loves it. I call it " Aunt Ginny's Praline Pecan Spiced Rum Applesauce Cake." It is definately flavorful and moist. My whole house smells so good when it is baking. I bake it in a bundt pan and drizzle a spiced rum glaze over the top. I took pictures of the cake and hope to post them tonight or tomorrow providing my son helps me. LOL. I will post the recipe tomorrow if you think you would like it.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 18

I just found this recipe and thought it looked interesting. No idea if it's good or not.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/reviews/911

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 9:11pm
post #8 of 18

This is a recip for a pumpkin cake roll that I've made before - it's really good!

You will need to have a jelly roll pan b/c it allows the batter to bake up "thin" to where it can be rolled easy.

I'll also share a few "tweaks" as well icon_biggrin.gif

Cake:

3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar, divided
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt

FILLING:

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Additional confectioners' sugar, for dusting top of cake roll
DIRECTIONS
Line a jelly roll pan w/ waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and pumpkin, beating on high until sugar is almost dissolved.
In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gently fold into pumpkin mixture. Spread into prepared pan.
Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectionersâ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and chill in fridge until ready to serve. Dust with confectionersâ sugar if desired.

Okay my "tweaks"
- lightly toast some pecans, sprinkle pecans over batter before baking.
- dust cake roll w/ confectioner sugar, and then drizzle some caramel over the top.
- add 1/2 tsp nutmeg into the batter
- spread a thin layer of cream cheese frosting on the outside of the cake roll. Take some toasted pecans, and finely chop -coat the outside of the cake roll w/ the pecans

Use the "tweaks" alone, or combine any/all of them icon_biggrin.gif

mmkwynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmkwynne Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 18

Here is one I got, I think it is from Pampered Chef... Everyone loves it!! thumbs_up.gif

Harvest Pumpkin Cake Roll

Ingredients
1 cup solid packed pumpkin
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon cinnamon,divided
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 package (16 oz) angel food cake mix
3/4 cup powdered sugar, divided
1 cup thawed light frozen whipped topping
pecans,grated (optional)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350. Cut a 18-inch long piece of parchment paper. Press into bottom and up sides of stoneware bar pan; spray bottom lightly with vegetable oil. Whisk together pumpkin, sugar, egg, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, salt, and nutmeg until well blended. Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to cake mix and prepare according to package directions. Gently fold 2 cups of the cake batter into the pumpkin mixture just until combined. Spread pumpkin mixture evenly over parchment paper. Spoon remaining cake batter over pumpkin mixture; gently spread evenly. Bake 30-35 min. or until top springs back when lightly touched with fingertip. Remove from oven to cooling rack. Sprinkle 1/2 cup powdered sugar over cake. Place a sheet of parchment paper over cake. Place cooling rack upside down over parchment paper and carefully turn cake out at once. Remove pan; carefully peel off parchment paper from cooked side of cake. Starting from a narrow end, roll up cake with pumpkin side inside roll, remove parchment paper as you roll. Cool 30 mins. Sprinkle with remaining powered sugar. Slice and serve with whipped topping and grated peacans if you like.

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 18

I was a judge at a baking contest here is Az. that had to feature pecans, and the recipe that newlywedws submitted with tweaks won the Grand prize, Best of Show with one more tweak: fold in 1 c. of whipped cream into the mixed frosting. You hold on to this recipe, she will beg for it.

OhMyGoodies Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:35am
post #11 of 18

Oh my goodness! Thanks so much everyone!!!! newlyweds that recipe sounds so great! Along with the rest of them! I'm going to save them all and try them all and see what everyone likes best.

What is a jelly roll pan??? What's the difference between that and a cookie sheet? I've searched for them online and they are basically a cookie sheet.....

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:40am
post #12 of 18

A cookie sheet can't be used interchangeably as a jelly roll pan.
A jelly roll pan has a raised edge normally about 1" high so the batter can bake and rise w/o overflowing thumbs_up.gif

Narie Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:18pm
post #13 of 18

You may already own a jelly roll pan. A 11x15 inch jelly roll pan, as newlywed said, has a 1 inch side all around- a cookie sheet has at least one end open/flat. You can use your jelly roll pan as a cookie sheet, but you can't use the cookie sheet as a jelly roll pan- the batter would just run out the open/flat end or sides. I use mine for cinnamon rolls, Texas cake, pumpkin bars, dinner rolls, cookies and occasionally jelly rolls.

mommarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommarivera Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:44pm
post #14 of 18

delicious sounding recipes!!

OhMyGoodies Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:14pm
post #15 of 18

All of the "cookie sheets" I have all have 4 sides to them (I have one very expencive cookie sheet that has 3 no-sided sides and one handled side...) and we use them for everything from cookies to french fries lol.. and everything in between lol... I got them at walmart in a 3 pack for under $15.00. Think that's the same thing?? lol

Narie Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:24pm
post #16 of 18

Yep, that was more or less what I suspected. thumbs_up.gif Just measure it to make sure it is the right size for the recipe. 15 x 11 x 1 is the usual size.

OhMyGoodies Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:50pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks Narie! Glad to have so many great CC'ers that are willing to help! icon_biggrin.gif I'm going to check walmart today while I'm in there getting a birthday gift and see if maybe they have a specific "jelly roll pan" lol... see if there is any difference and I'll measure the ones I have now and see if any of them are the proper measurements. icon_smile.gif Thanks again!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:44pm
post #18 of 18

What a great thread -- I can't wait to try some of these recipes!! Thanks for sharing everyone!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%