Where To Find Colored Fanci-Foil (Other Than Silver & Go

Decorating By cakecastle Updated 1 Oct 2007 , 11:42pm by Teekakes

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 16

I have not been able to find any colored fanci-foil other than silver and gold. I'm tired of using a plain cake board and want to add some color under my cakes. Can someone please tell me where you can buy the other colors? I would really love to find blue before I do my 2 year old's cake this weekend. Thanks a bunch! icon_smile.gif

15 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 16

I order mine online all the time because here in Canada the wedding shops want $22.00 a roll and I say....Forget that!!

Here is the link but you may not have time for your 2 yr olds birthday...

http://www.cakeart.us/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/4225

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 16

You can find the colored foil on cakedeco.com (Pfeil & Holing). I use scrapbooking paper for different colors, patterns, etc.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 16

I use floral foil and order it from my florist. She is NICE and lets me have it for cost ($5.00/roll). I also use wrapping paper for variety.

Beth in KY

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 16

Bethola,
Florist foil is not food safe.

cakecastle Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks for the replies!

Leahs-How will I know if it is food safe? Will it tell on the packaging? If it is then i can just put the cake directly on it, am I right? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'd rather find out in advance from the experts here at CC than to find out the hard way and someone get sick from one of my cakes.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Bethola,
Florist foil is not food safe.

Sorry, forgot to add that I COVER IT with food safe material AND I use a separate board to put the actual cake on so there are no accidental cuts into the foil.

TOO EARLY and I haven't had enough coffee yet!

Beth in KY

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 16

Bethola,
Good solution.

To make sure your products are food safe, you just buy from food type sources. Wilton's fancifoil is made for cakes, therefore you can assume its food safe. Florist foil is made for wrapping pots of flowers, so you should not assume its food safe.

Similar for ribbon. Fondant ribbon is food safe. Fabric ribbon, not designed to be eaten, is not.

cakecastle Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:30pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks again!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 16

Here is plastic coated foil sold by cakesbysam:

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=category&category_id=272

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 16

cakecastle..............You can also, and this is what I do the most, buy any ol wrapping paper you want to match your cake, wrap the cake board with it, and then, cover it with clear shelf liner. It is really thin, its cheap, you can get it at walmart, kmart, target, etc., and is completely crystal clear over your wrapping paper. It is of course waterproof & grease proof so no need to worry about anything soiling your pretty paper underneath it. It comes packaged in a nice size roll so you don't have to worry about buying it everytime you make a cake. It comes in two widths and I always buy the widest of the two so I don't have to worry about it being wide enough for my largest boards. HTH's icon_smile.gif

heather1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather1 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 16

I get mine local but you can order from them. It's 9.99 a roll, not sure how much shipping is. Here's the link:
http://bakinstuf.com/catalog/index.html?loadfile=catalog13_0.html

cakecastle Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 9:21pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks for the links!!!

Teekakes-Great idea! I never thought of that. Is the clear shelf liner food safe as well?

Teekakes Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 11:25pm
post #14 of 16

Yes, it is food safe. Many decorators use it this way. That is how I found out about it........from another decorator. icon_wink.gif

cakecastle Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 11:40pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks Lea!

Teekakes Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 11:42pm
post #16 of 16

You are very welcome! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%