Barbie Cake

Decorating By gelincikler Updated 13 Nov 2006 , 8:17pm by freddie

gelincikler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gelincikler Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 17

Helloicon_smile.gif I'm going to make a Barbie cake for my cousin this weekend. But not like Wilton's. I want my Barbie to stand up. The dress will be the cake. How will I insert the legs in the cake? Should I cut in a hole first? I really need a method.

16 replies
tammiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammiemarie Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 17

I've only made one doll cake, and it used the wilton doll with no legs - so I am just guessing here. but I would think it would be better to cut out a spot for her legs, rather than shoving the legs into the cake. I'd be careful not to make it too big though, or she might lean to one side. Then again, we shove dowels into cakes all the time, and it's no problem. Anyone else know?

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 17

I like to get a cheap barbie type doll - the legs will come off with out breaking the doll. I will take the legs off and stick the barbie in the wonder mold & decorate. Good Luck!

gelincikler Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 17

Maybe I'll take the legs off too. I'll share the finished cake. Thank you for your help.

CAKES8832 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKES8832 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 17

I made one where the customer didn't want the legs off of the Barbie so we mad an 8 " rd. to go under the dress sort of like a pedestal so the feet extended in through the bottom cake so it didn't look like it was out of proportion with the dress. I hope this helps.

icon_biggrin.gif

Akesunflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Akesunflower Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 17

I made a barbie cake for my 3 year old and she didn't like the faces and hair on the doll picks so I had to use a real barbie. I was going to take the legs off too but my 3 year old had a fit. Said it would hurt the doll. lol.

Needless to say I ended up using the barbie legs and all and I just gently pushed it into the cake being careful not to cause the cake to crack.

On the negative side of it, the doll was a little tall for the wilton doll pan so I had to kind of build her dress up around the waste with frosting. So, if your cousin won't be "tramatized" by it, I would take the legs off if possible.

Ray75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ray75 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 17

I'm the same as cake8832, I used the Wilton pan and made a 12 by 9, cake as the base, this way you can keep the legs on. I've done this a few times and only the first time did the cake crack. Good luck!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 17

I always add an 8 or 9 inch bottom cake. I like the hight that it gives the doll cakes. Even those with out legs. It just seems more in porportion.

kats0916 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kats0916 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 17

I make Barbie cakes all the time with real Barbie's. First, use a 9" round as a base then the wonder mold on top; carve to give an even flow from top to bottom. Wrap the doll from the waist down in plastic wrap, tightly. Cut a hole for the legs in the cake and push her in gently. Then you just have to cover up the waist and hip area with icing or fondant. I always use fondant and then make a belt/wrap of some sort for that area.

DebraJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebraJ Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:16am
post #10 of 17

Doll cakes are my absolute favorite cakes to make. I normally just use a 9" base cake under the Wilton Wonder Mold Cake Pan to give it the correct height for an 11" doll. Women seem to love having a doll as a momento after the party. I also wrap the legs of the doll with plastic wrap. Use the cake corer to make a perfect hole down through both cakes.

I'll be uploading the rest of my doll cake pictures in the next couple of weeks. Check back to see them.

Good luck with your cake.

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:24am
post #11 of 17

For my doll cake I didn't want to use the face of the one that came on the pick for the doll pan so I took the head off of a Disney Barbie doll (aurora) and put it on the pick. After I was done I just switched it back. I didn't want to mess with cutting out room for the legs.

Also, I stacked my on top of an eight inch. It just looks better I think.

My doll is in my pictures.

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:32am
post #12 of 17

It's the Aurora one, not the witch.

Quote:
Quote:

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:53am
post #13 of 17

I usually put a round layer under the wonder mold (I actually use the Pampered Chef 2 qt batter bowl to bake it in) so it's tall enough to accomate a real Barbie. I have also done without the bottom layer and just put lots of frosting around the waist, but I've also had the frosting slide off the second you go to deliver it. icon_sad.gif

I also saw on a thread here that someone took a paper towel roll and wrapped it in plastic wrap and used that as a core in the cake, then put the Barbie in there so it would stand up nice and straight. Just trim it short enough that you can't see it once it is inside the cake. I haven't tried that yet myself, but plan to see how it works sometime. I always just stick Barbie legs and all into the cake. That seems to work well other than Barbie getting plastered with frosting and needing a serious bath after the party.

gelincikler Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 1:10pm
post #14 of 17

Dear all, here's the finished cake. Thank you all for your help. Now I need your honest opinion. I now it's not perfect. What else can I add? Or if it's enough for this one, what should I do to make it better next time?
LL

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 1:47pm
post #15 of 17

gelincikler, that cake really is lovely. I really like it and wouldn't add a thing to it. Next time, however, I would probably trim the cake a bit at the top to taper it to the waist. Well done!

Akesunflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Akesunflower Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 3:34pm
post #16 of 17

I think it's beautiful! Elegant! The only thing I suggest is the same as tporbz, just shape it so it tapers to the waste. My daughters are in awe of your cake!

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 8:17pm
post #17 of 17

Wow your cake turned out beautiful !!!!
I must be the odd one because I added to the top instead of the bottom. I used a glass bowl bought from SuperStore that is shaped very similar to the Wonder mold but slightly wider, I then added a mini wonder mold cake trimmed to fit on the top of the other cake to give me the height and a more tapered waste. Worked good for me and I liked how it kept the whole gown flowing slightlt out as it went down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%