Cake Balls?

Decorating By badgerang Updated 21 Jan 2007 , 2:20pm by mocakes

badgerang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badgerang Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 1:08am
post #1 of 49

what exactly is a cake ball? icon_rolleyes.gif am i the only one thats never heard of this?
sorry, didn't know what category to put this in....

48 replies
OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 1:13am
post #2 of 49

Hun don't fell bad I have no clue what they are either lol

OMG! Another Marylander!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 1:17am
post #3 of 49

Hi Girls,
I'm from MD too....but am not a PA resident.
Cake balls are a scrumptious little tidbit made from cake scraps (or a cake made especially to use for them).
There is a recipe in the recipe section here on CC. I follow it loosely.
Basically they're just cake scraps, mixed with some powdered sugar and some type of liquid to make them a doughy type of texture. Or some people just mix cake with some buttercream until they're the right texture. Roll them in balls and dip in chocolate, or cover with powdered sugar or cocoa if you'd like.
So far my favorite is chocolate cake, powdered sugar, hazelnut creamer dipped in chocolate candy melts.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 1:29am
post #4 of 49

Oh my that sounds excellent!!! I may have to try these for when we move and have our House Warming Party. I'll have to go grab that recipe. Would you be willing to share yours? If so feel free to PM me icon_smile.gif thanks bunches!

~*~Becky~*~

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 2:29am
post #5 of 49

That sounds so good I am going to try that this weekend!!

finnox Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 49

Ok I have a question I saw the recipe but it didnt really help me ok with making the cake balls could some one explain to me how to do it?
1st question do you use already made cake or cake scraps?
2nd question do you use liqour and cremer or one or the other?
And does anyone have any different recipes for one?

finnox Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 49

Sorry for the 2nd question cake that hasnt been made yet (not cooked) or cake scraps?

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 49

You make them with already cooked cake (cake crumbs). You are only limited by your imagination as to the flavor combinations.

For Christmas, chocolate cake with peppermint schnaps sounds good, as does eggnog flavored cake with rum. I haven't used creamer, but have used plain buttercream to make them as well.

Hope this helps!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 49

I'm dying to make some!!! Never heard of them until here! The hazelnut creamer sounds devine! The other day I was making petit fours (evil little things) and after I was finished we started taking the cake scraps and smashing it with the white chocolate poured icing that was starting to harden. It was really good. Thought that might work as well.

badgerang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badgerang Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 49

Interesting! I can't wait to try these. And, it sounds like it will be impossible for me to screw up!

Hello to my fellow Marylanders!

Thanks everyone!

finnox Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 49

Sounds great I cant wait to make some.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:14pm
post #12 of 49

I made them for the first time Saturday, I had some yellow cake scraps and some german choc mini cakes in the freezer. I mixed some of the yellow and german, added some creme brule coffee creamer pecans and chopped coconut. I mixed the cocoa powder into the rest of the yellow and added some walnuts and rum. I dipped them in chocolate and they were great! I brought some to work and rec several orders. I need more cake quick. I have several ideas for other flavors. Champagne, Mexican hot chili, Caramel and on and on.

finnox Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:18pm
post #13 of 49

Ok like with the creamer you are using liquid creamer right?

finnox Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:19pm
post #14 of 49

How moist or dry should the balls be before you put them in chocolate or do you pour the chocolate over it?

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:19pm
post #15 of 49

MMMMMM tyty! Please post recipes when you try the new flavors....especially the hot chili one!!!

lilsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsis Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:22pm
post #16 of 49

Tyty- I too have been trying to come up with different ideas for flavors...any suggestions on what type of caramel I could put into the middle of the ball (before dipping it)??? think that would be awesome but the caramel would have to be soft (and stay soft) but not liquidy....any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Love the idea of champagne too!!

tyty Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:22pm
post #17 of 49

I will post recipe's. The batter should be like cookie dough, once you roll it. you let it dry for 2 hrs. Then dip in chocolate.

lilsis Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:24pm
post #18 of 49

cake balls are also easier to dip if you freeze them first!! the chocolate seems to harden quicker also...Just a suggestion!

finnox Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:26pm
post #19 of 49

If it seems like I have alot of questions I just want mine to turn out good for my Husbands family.

tyty Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:32pm
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsis

Tyty- I too have been trying to come up with different ideas for flavors...any suggestions on what type of caramel I could put into the middle of the ball (before dipping it)??? think that would be awesome but the caramel would have to be soft (and stay soft) but not liquidy....any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Loe the idea of champagne too!!

I would use left over caramel frosting or caramel flavor(from Lorannoils.com). I'm going to try lemon this weekend with yel cake lemon zest, and maybe a little flavor and I will dip them in white choc, I am also going to try mixing orange zest and orange extract in chocolate and dip those in chocolate. My other ideas are hazelnut, amaretto, marble and sweet potato. Cheesecake balls sound good too.

finnox Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:40pm
post #21 of 49

Ok I didnt see the answer is it liqiud creamer?

tyty Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:47pm
post #22 of 49

you could use liquid or powder. If you use powder you will need to warm a little water enough to disolve the powder. pour a little at a time into your mix to get the right consistancy.

finnox Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:49pm
post #23 of 49

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:56pm
post #24 of 49

So does Cream CHeese icing harden enough to dip these in, or does in have to be some form of chocolate?

tyty Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:04pm
post #25 of 49

You dip them in candy melts or roll in cocoa powder or conf sugar.

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:06pm
post #26 of 49

Thank you!

sarge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarge1 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:08pm
post #27 of 49

I made some this past weekend: chocolate cake, powdered sugar, chopped almonds, and cherry liquor, dipped in white chocolate candy melts. yum....

lilsis Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:10pm
post #28 of 49

I made lemon ones earlier this week (for my nephew to take to work)...they were dipped in white choclate...very refreshing (more 'springy' than 'fall"!!) ...also made spice cake w/vanilla chai spice creamer dipped in melted butterscotch chips and cinnamon swirl cake w/ gingerbread creamer dipped in cinnamon flavored white chocolate (those were YUMMY!!!)....I have done the amaretto ones before....took them to a baptism party for my great-niece and they were gone within a half an hour of being opened!!!! (BIG HIT!!) Going to try Baileys Irish Creme next week!!!

tyty Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:15pm
post #29 of 49

Those sound real good, I want to try some other liquer like Grand Mariner, Malibu and Caramel. I'll let you know what I come up with. How did you make the lemon?

finnox Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:17pm
post #30 of 49

All of these balls sound so good My mom said in some places they call them Rum Balls instead of cake balls.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%