Georgia Home Bakery...

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 6 Feb 2013 , 2:47am by LuLi Baker

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:34am
post #1 of 15

I just wondered if Georgia was still a no go on selling from home like the chart here on CC says or if someone has found a way around this restriction. I really want to be able to start a home business in about a year but as far as I know it's not legal here. Anyone want to help me try and get this changed? icon_lol.gif

14 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:55am
post #2 of 15

Nope u cannot and i'd help

Rachie204 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:58am
post #3 of 15

that really stinks...I wonder how you go about that?

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 15

Unfortunately it's not legal. You have to get a licensed kitchen, talk to the Dept of Ag.

Sharaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sharaine Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 15

Every County is different. I am in Cobb County and called the dept of Agriculture and found out that I can have a home business but I need to have a total separate kitchen from my home kitchen..So make a kitchen in the basement or somewhere else. There must be seperate entrance from the home enterance. In Cobb county if you are zoned residential you have to get a "temporary" zoning permit for 1 year and they tell me they will only renew it once so for maybe 2 years you can have a in home licensed kitchen then zoning wants you to get a storefront.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:15am
post #6 of 15

As Sharaine said, it's not a state-wide thing here in Ga, it's county by county. If you want to change your county to one that allows it, I guess the county commissioners would be the ones to go to (they're elected, right?)?

Rachie204 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:17am
post #7 of 15

i will be calling and checking for my county. Our home actually had 2 kitchens but we ripped one out when we moved in because it was old and unneeded however all the hook ups are still there(the room is vacant) and it would be a breeze to fix it up new and it also has its own entrance....thanks...I will be calling the health department soon.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:30am
post #8 of 15

Well that kinda lets the wind outta my sails. I was just telling my husband I wanted to look into licensure and Health Dept. certification, but I'm also in Georgia. Anybody know specifically about Richmond County?

Rachie204 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:50am
post #9 of 15

Hey I am Richmond County as well and I have no Idea...I will try and call this week or next and will update here what I find out.

Rachie204 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 15

Called licensing and inspection today and had to leave a message....Will update when I hear from them.

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 15

FYI - the law is statewide. What differs from county to county is the restrictions on what the kitchen has to include. Some require a grease trap no matter what you do, others require certain wiring, it just all depends. Nowhere in the state is it allowed to exist in your home kitchen.

BTW - We are friends with the Commissioner in our county and he told me that the state is going to get stricter in the next couple of years.

Rachie204 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:31pm
post #12 of 15

Man...that stinks. Well...on to the church kitchen rental thing I suppose. Thanks for the info Sew4children

Sharaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sharaine Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:12pm
post #13 of 15

I thought about the Church Kitchen Rental also.. BUT I was told by someone that you can not bake in a non-profit kitchen and sell for profit.
I was told this by a teacher at Cake Art (a store in Tucker Ga) that teaches many classes but one is the Business of Cakes.. I didn't follow up afterwards, not sure if this is true but thought I would share what heard.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:36pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew4children

FYI - the law is statewide. What differs from county to county is the restrictions on what the kitchen has to include. Some require a grease trap no matter what you do, others require certain wiring, it just all depends. Nowhere in the state is it allowed to exist in your home kitchen.
BTW - We are friends with the Commissioner in our county and he told me that the state is going to get stricter in the next couple of years.

Technically a separate kitchen would not be considered your home kitchen...

When I was IN CHATHAM COUNTY, I was told that there had to be a solid wall between the home and the 'business' and it had to have its' own entry way and that even though that was the state's terms, county/local laws ultimately determined if they would allow it.

It wasn't like, if the state said no, the county could still say yes and it'd be okay. It was more like these are the states rules...yes, if you follow all these, but the county could still say no go, and further still, the city could say no even though the state and the county said yes....and to make it a little more difficult...depending on where you reside within the city, the freakin' HOA could shut you down even though the state, county, and city gave you the go ahead.

Sooooooooo...I would start at state level...get a green light...check with county...get a green light...check with city....get a green light...check your subdivision's bylaws(or whatever they call 'em)...

LuLi Baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuLi Baker Posted 6 Feb 2013 , 2:47am
post #15 of 15

Does that also apply if you are selling online?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%