Adding Dry Jello To Buttercream

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 12:08pm by grama_j

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 12

I was wondering if anyone has added dry jello to buttercream. I use the Sam's buttercream, but was wanting to add some flavor to it. I figured if you added water to it, it might try to jell. Not sure, anyone tried it yet?

Vicki

11 replies
hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 12

have not tried this, however, i saw wilton selling a small jar of buttercream flavoring (strawberry, lemon, rasp etc) and it looked just like jello poweder. I told my daughter looks like jello to me. let me know if it works.

VS8894 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:01am
post #3 of 12

Hmmm....that sounds interesting. It probably is jello, expensive jello, lol.

VS8894 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:14am
post #4 of 12

Ok, I went ahead and tried it. It turned out yummy! I made an orange cake and I put orange jello in the Sam's buttercream. I used about half of a small package to about 3 cups of buttercream. It tasted great. There is a slight gritty feel, but not bad. I think because I was looking for the gritty taste. I will definitely try it with some other flavors.

Vicki

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:24am
post #5 of 12

I have actually done this several times. It is fun way to add flavors and colors to buttercream. I have used it with kids cakes mostly. I noticed if you let the buttercream sit over night with the jello and re-whip it most of the grittiness is gone.

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:31am
post #6 of 12

So what would happen if you dissolved the jello in water before mixing it and then use that as your liquid? Would it gel? I have no clue. Just a thought since you said it was gritty.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:43am
post #7 of 12

Sounds good although I am not a fan of any gritty texture of an icing.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:48am
post #8 of 12

Why not just use a fruit compound?

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 9:24am
post #9 of 12

I am going to have to put this in my "book to try" Thanks!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:59am
post #10 of 12

Good to know that it does work. I thought that it would since IndyDebi's icing uses DreamWhip, which is similar to pudding.

I like the idea of re-whipping the next day to get rid of the grittiness too.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:06pm
post #11 of 12

I tried that once, I did not like the gritty texture. icon_rolleyes.gif wonders if Kool-aid would work. Anyone know?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:08pm
post #12 of 12

I do this all the time..... I use it in some fillings to enhance the flavor also..... By all means give it time to melt the little crystals.... you do not want it to taste gritty........ I wouldn't think it would "gel" if you melt it in water first.... To many more ingredients are going into it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%