Choco-Pan Vs. Homemade White Chocolate Fondant

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 29 May 2013 , 7:10pm by bostonterrierlady

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 32

Is one better than the other? I am trying to factor in taste, ease of use (whether it tears easily or not), and cost. Does anyone have any opinions? Is there a great tried and true recipe? The LaWanda recipe on the board sounds good, but I have never tried it. Id would like to save some money and maybe go the homemade route, but making enough for a wedding cake may be a daunting task icon_wink.gif Thanks for any input!!

31 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 32

Oh god...making fondant is a daunting task!. We use to do it and we decided is better to buy. We do Satin Ice. If someone wants a specialty fondant like chocopan the cost goes to them.
Edna

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 32

I've not tried Choco-pan or LaWanda's but I do make Michele Fosters (which is almost identical to LaWanda's minus chocolate). I can make a 5 lb batch for about $5.00. the savings is clearly huge!!! Can't speak to your other questions.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 32

Alana, How is Michelle Foster's fondant recipe to work with. How does it roll, does it tear easily, etc.?

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:06am
post #5 of 32

I love the recipe. I'll never buy commercial fondant again!! Its delicious and so easy to work with. No tearing or elephant skin. Its fabulous! If you choose to make it, make sure to measure your gelatin. My packets don't measure the same as the way its posted in the recipe.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:51am
post #6 of 32

where can i find la wanda's recipe?

i tried searching here on CC, but couldn't seem to find it.

TIA.

Lori2240 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 32

LaWanda's White Chocolate Fondant
1/2 cup Heavy cream or liquid coffee creamer (I use White Chocolate/ Macadamia Nut)
3 pkg. unflavored gelatin
1 c white corn syrup
3 Tbsp real butter
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 t clear vanilla
6 oz white chocolate, chopped
3 1/2 - 4 lb. powered Sugar. (I sift mine)

Mix cream with gelatin, allow to firm up 3-5 min. Set on double boiler with simmering water stirring until melted. Add corn syrup, white chocolate, butter, glycerin and vanilla. Cook over simmering water until butter is almost melted. Remove from heat & let cool till luke warm.

In large mixer bowl place about 2 lbs of the PS. Pour liquid through strainer until partially mixed. Attach to mixer using dough hook, mix on low until sugar is well mixed then start adding about 1 cup of PS at a time until the fondant wraps around the dough hook. Place fondant on smooth surface dusted with PS & knead until smooth. Wrap fondant in greased plastic wrap, wrap again & place in plastic bag or air-tight container. Let it rest over night.

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 32

Thanks, I will try this recipe for the smaller cakes and take Tonedna's advice and stick to chocpan for the large ones. I am still new to fondant and so I appreciate reading everyone's advice on this site!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 32

Choc-o-pan is my favorite. It tastes so much better then than any others I have tried including satin ice and fondex. You can roll it thinner so it goes farther. It is expensive but worth every penny IMO.

smc_paralegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smc_paralegal Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 32

I love getting new fondant recipes. I will definitely be trying this one.

Just an FYI you can order a sample of Satin Ice to see if you like it. Just go to their website.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 32

I make Michele Foster's fondant too and add Jennifer Dontz's add in to it. (I can't give the recipe since it's on her DVD and that wouldn't be fair to her) I take a day and make multiple batches.. it goes quick and it works so wonderful.. One batch makes over 5 pounds of fondant and the cost is minimal compared to buying and paying shipping for choco-pan (which is a very good fondant). I don't like Satin Ice fondant.. it smells like vanilla play-doh to me.. very chemically in smell and some batches aren't as good as others. I used it for a while, but once I started making it I have never gone back. If I had to use a commercial fondant it would be Choco-Pan or Massa but Massa is so damned expensive.

LaWanda's recipe is Michele's exact recipe with the white chocolate added.. and Michele has said she does this too. I'm sure it'd work well and be a great fondant. icon_smile.gif

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 32

It's well worth making your own...the flavor is just so much better! I use only Michele Foster's recipe and it is always perfect. Haven't tried adding white chocolate yet but that is the next thing on my "to try" list.

As for making the fondant being a daunting task...because the fondant will keep for such a long time I just make a batch a day over a few days then when I need it it's all ready to goicon_smile.gif

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 32

Hi Jeanne, do you find the combination of MF's recipe and candy clay easy to work with? I tried mixing candy clay with Fondx and it was too soft and very difficult to work with...ended up having to add ALOT of powder sugar and some tylose and it was still too soft so I added some wilton fondant and it was better.

Lori2240 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #14 of 32

How long does the fondant keep for? Thanks!

FromScratch Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm
post #15 of 32

I have had no issues with using michele's fondant to make Jennifer's fondant. I usually add extra PS to Michele's fondant anyway..

tonedna Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:07pm
post #16 of 32

I have to add a note to this..the reason we dont do our fondant anymore is cause the amount of cakes we work.
When you do a few cakes a week, is not as bad. But sometimes, we have from 6 to 10 cakes a week.

It was way to hectic, and thats only wedding cakes. I am not including all the party cakes.
Edna

FromScratch Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm
post #17 of 32

I completely understand the volume thing Edna.. I could easily make 60 pounds of fondant in a day.. not that I'd WANT to.. icon_lol.gif

If I had that many wedding cakes per week I'd probably re visit commercial fondants again.. I just don't like many.. and the ones I do.. are pricey.

tonedna Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:32pm
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I completely understand the volume thing Edna.. I could easily make 60 pounds of fondant in a day.. not that I'd WANT to.. icon_lol.gif

If I had that many wedding cakes per week I'd probably re visit commercial fondants again.. I just don't like many.. and the ones I do.. are pricey.

Believe, i dont want to work that hard...lol
Edna

FromScratch Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:58am
post #19 of 32

icon_lol.gif

I usually make 30 pounds at a whack and that will last me a while. I can make a double batch in my big mixer so it's only 3 batches. They go quick.. and I have nice triceps for my efforts.. icon_wink.gif.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:47am
post #20 of 32
Quote:

icon_lol.gif

I usually make 30 pounds at a whack and that will last me a while. I can make a double batch in my big mixer so it's only 3 batches. They go quick.. and I have nice triceps for my efforts.. icon_wink.gif.

I use Michele Foster's fondant also... You make double batches and it turns out ok? I know that she does not suggest cutting the batch in half... But double works? That would definitely be handy! icon_smile.gif I have found the fondant to be a bit soft even after sitting over night. I have Jennifer's DVD's also. Does her recipe make it a bit stiffer?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif
Pat

FromScratch Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:18am
post #21 of 32

I have never had a problem doubling it. I find it needs a little extra PS.. so I throw in an extra cup or so during the kneading process until it feels right. Jen's recipe doesn't make it softer.. It feels stiffer until you knead it and then it's nice and pliable. Just don't let it get too warm or it gets soft. icon_smile.gif HTH's

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:23am
post #22 of 32

Thanks Jeanne icon_smile.gif

I'm going to try that this weekend while I'm watching that stinking hurricane churn towards Louisiana...sigh... icon_confused.gif

Pat

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:52am
post #23 of 32

I need to save this recipe and get me Jen's DVD, this sounds delicious.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:37am
post #24 of 32
Quote:

I make Michele Foster's fondant too and add Jennifer Dontz's add in to it...

I've never made fondant, but would love to try Michele's recipe. The one with added chocolate sounds yummy, too. But I am confused. You make two different recipes and then add them together? What does this do?

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:39pm
post #25 of 32
Quote:

icon_lol.gif

How long have you been using Michelle's recipe? Your cakes are absolutely gorgeous, you are about to make me a convert! I usually buy Satin Ice, but I don't do that many cakes and it really cuts into the profit!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:26pm
post #26 of 32
Quote:

icon_lol.gif

OT I was just looking through your website jeanne... love it, so professional, nice to navigate and pictures are great!

Just a couple of questions though - do you use clear vanilla in your fondant? I need to find a good brand, I cant find anything here but wilton so I have been using regular vanilla, since the white chocolate already makes it less than white-white would the dark vanilla effect it too much?

How long have you stored it without effecting performance? Does it form a crust, get too hard etc?

Thanks!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:29pm
post #27 of 32

Can you substitute dark chocolate for the white chocolate used in Lawanda's recipe and get good results still?

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:33pm
post #28 of 32

Can you substitute dark chocolate for the white chocolate used in Lawanda's recipe and get good results still?

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:55pm
post #29 of 32

tootie0809,

Yes, you can substitute dark chocolate for the white in LaWanda's recipe, and it still turns out great. I also substitute chocolate dairy creamer for the liquid in that recipe to give it more chocolate flavor. It's yummy! icon_lol.gif

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:27pm
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkarm

tootie0809,

Yes, you can substitute dark chocolate for the white in LaWanda's recipe, and it still turns out great. I also substitute chocolate dairy creamer for the liquid in that recipe to give it more chocolate flavor. It's yummy! icon_lol.gif

When you sub reg. chocolate for white, do you put in the same amount?
I love LaWanda's and will try it this way too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%