Help Baking A Wilton Shaped Pan....hockey Player

Decorating By cakesbygrandma Updated 9 Nov 2006 , 5:53am by Kazoot

cakesbygrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbygrandma Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 2:42am
post #1 of 5

I am new to cake decorating and it is time for our annual SAN JOSE SHARKS vs LA KINGS Hockey Party. We really get into this. My family is huge Sharks fan and my brother and other family members are LA Kings fans. Well this year I have decided to put my newly learned decorating skills to good use and make a sharks hockey player cake (my 3 year old granddaughter calls the Cake Pan Patrick Marleau we start them on the right track early lol). I bought the pan on e-bay and it did not come with instructions and I downloaded them from this site and it does not give baking directions. Please if anyone has this pan or any ideas on temp and length of time to bake I would greatly appreciate the info. (Even if you don't like the Sharks maybe you can help me lol). Thanks Maria

4 replies
projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 3:40am
post #2 of 5

Did you try the Wilton website? They may have the baking instructions for their character pans.

cakesbygrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbygrandma Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 4:34am
post #3 of 5

Projectqueen. Thank you I have tried that..PLEASE PLEASE.. I REALLY NEED HELP.....I thinking maybe 350 for about 45 minutes..what do you think. Maybe someone has a similar pan and could tell me what temp and how long. I need to bake this cake no later than early morning as I need to have it done by tomorrow night. Thanks in advance

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 5:45am
post #4 of 5

Okay, I just checked Winnie the Pooh, Tigger and Barney (the only character pans I have, LOL) and they ALL say 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees. So that's where I would start. 30 minutes and then start checking. (Those instructions are for pans that take one 2-layer cake mix, which I assume is the same as the hockey player.)

My only advice with the character pans is to use something like Cake Release if you have it (I think there are instructions somewhere here on CC to make it if you don't have it). Get it in all the grooves, nooks and crannies of the pan VERY well.

I use a new foam paintbrush like you get in the craft store and push it around until every little indentation is covered before I add my batter. Does it sound like I speak from experience? icon_redface.gif I learned that from having the cakes stick in the pans in certain areas.

Good luck with the cake, it sounds really cute.

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 5:53am
post #5 of 5

All those novelty pans say one cake mix, but I use about 1 1/2 so I can just cut the top off level and the sides raise enough. I would try 350 for 45 min and check. That is how I do those pans. I also use the crisco spray for baking (blue can). It has flour in it and works wonderful!!!! Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%