Help!!! Need Ideas For A "pharmacist" Themed Cake

Decorating By MORSELSBYMARK Updated 20 May 2007 , 2:00pm by lynda-bob

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 11

I'm still a little new here, but would really appreciate some help. I have a woman who works in my office that has seen some of my work and would like me to do a cake for her. She has requested a 9-inch round cake with buttercream frosting. She is adamant about having a lab coat on it since her boyfriend is a pharmacist. I'm thinking about doing the lab coat out of fondant with a couple of "spilling" pill bottles on the top with fondant pills. Anybody have any other ideas? I think she may be a little "difficult" since her first question was do you use a boxed cake? Any help is appreciated!!!

10 replies
lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 15 May 2007 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 11

I read "pharmacist" and I immediately thought of a mortar and pestle like the old timey pharmacists used (sometimes you still see that as on pharmacy signs) and maybe the "Rx" letters somewhere. Maybe you could make the labcoat laying on the side of the cake ( like thrown there) and the bottle of pills, like you said, on top. I saw a Doctor cake in one of Collette Peters' books and the pills were (Mike and Ike) type candies cut in half and two different colors put together to make pills... Hope I helped a little. icon_smile.gif

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 15 May 2007 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 11

Crap! tapedshut.gif I'm at work, so I can't send you a pic, but I just did a pharmacy cake. My husband's friend's husband just graduated from Pharmacy school, so I made him a cake. I put a little gumpaste mortar & pestle on it and put some edible glitter and sanding sugar inside of it. Around the rest of the top of the cake, I made a bunch of little pills out of colored fondant and a prescription pad that said "Pharmacy Rx" on the top and then said "100mg of Congratulations, Dr. Myers!" underneath.

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 15 May 2007 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the suggestions! I have similar ideas with the pills and prescription pad - just hope my client likes the sketches! icon_smile.gif

lynda-bob Posted 15 May 2007 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 11

I wanna see the cake when you're done, PLEASE icon_biggrin.gif Good luck thumbs_up.gif

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 11

Please post pics when you are done !! Both my husband and myself are Pharmacists. I liked all the suggestions made previously and I really liked the "100mg of Congratulations" saying

sharibearie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharibearie Posted 16 May 2007 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 11

I think you could do a really cute cake shaped into a medicine bottle..you know, with the child proof lids? You could write something clever on the label...like the 100mg of congratulations (taken twice daily) and maybe the date on it. Oh! I just read about the lab coat. You could maybe do some little pill bottles made of fondant. Most of our medicine bottles are those orange ones with white lids. You could even have pills spilling out of a bottle. ???? Good luck...can't wait to see it!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:51am
post #8 of 11

galleries are down so i cant post the link to the one i did yesterday for a nurse...i made pills, but instead of mike and ike candies, i used good and plenty...they are pink and white, so they really have that "drug" look. (rather than red, green yellow etc) . i also made fondant bandaids, a strip of skin colored fondant, place a fondant square on the middle. round off the ends with a knife or a round cutter, and then poke holes iwth a toothpick.

i think the best idea though is to do the pills and the rx pad. maybe some gauze, rolled up strips of white fondant with a "rattan weave" texture to it. sounds fun, be sure to post a link on this thread so we can all see it.

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:28am
post #9 of 11

So, today was d-day! I had to deliver the cake to my client's sister's house (she lives close by), so I won't know what she thought until we go back to work on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday here). My wife said I did a good job, and she's always honest with me - Thank God! Here's the outcome:
LL

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 20 May 2007 , 3:47am
post #10 of 11

Your wife was right......You did a great job! Let us know what she thought!!! thumbs_up.gif

lynda-bob Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:00pm
post #11 of 11

It came out cute. thumbs_up.gif I'm sure they loved it... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%