Royal Icing Transfer Questions

Decorating By silbella Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 11:21am by susan10222

silbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silbella Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to try a RIT for the first time and have a few questions. What should I use to hold the icing in, a regular bag, a disposable decorating bag or parchment paper? I've read parchment paper was best, but I have not been successful finding it where I live. What tip should I use for the flooding part? Is there a difference between a RIT and color flow and is one better over the other for a decoration that will be placed on top of fondant? thanks!

4 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 5

You can use either a disposable bag or the feather weight ones, your choice. I, myself, do not care for parchment bags at all. In fact, the only time I use them is if I have small amount writing to do. Use tip 2 to make the lines and be sure to join lines together with a barely damp brush so the flooding does not go outside the line. You can just use the same tip for flooding, it really isn't necessary to change it. I like color flow much better myself, in my opinion it is stronger than royal icing. I hope this has helped you.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 5

I use 8 inch featherweight bags. I use a 1.5 PME tip for outlining and a 3 PME tip for flooding. I have never used color flow. I use this royal icing recipe with great success, every time...

Royal Icing Recipe

Ingredients:

6 oz (3/4 cup) of warm water
5 Tablespoons Meringue Powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 kilogram (2.25 lbs.) powdered icing sugar

*** Note; if your meringue powder has no vanilla flavour (vanillin powder) in it, add a teaspoon of clear vanilla to this recipe.

Directions:

In mixer bowl, pour in the warm water and the meringue powder. Mix it with a whisk by hand until it is frothy and thickenedabout 30 seconds.

Add the cream of tartar and mix for 30 seconds more.

Pour in all the icing sugar at once and place the bowl on the mixer.

Using the paddle attachment on the LOWEST speed, mix slowly for a full 10 minutes. Icing will get thick and creamy.

Cover the bowl with a dampened tea-towel to prevent crusting and drying.

Tint with food colourings or thin the icing with small amounts of warm water to reach the desired consistency.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 5

I've used both royal icing and color flow. Most of mine have been done with royal because I always have MP on hand. Wilton says the color flow dries with a bit of a shine to it and is stronger. Royal icing will be more matte.

I use plastic bags mostly, tip 2 or 3 for the outline and a bag with no tip for the fill in.

susan10222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susan10222 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 11:21am
post #5 of 5

I just made my first Royal Icing Transfer. I am wondering how to attach it to my chocolate buttercream icing... Should I use a dab of buttercream or royal icing? Also, I'd like to outline it once it's on the cake, what should I use for that...buttercream or royal? The transfer is maroon and I want to outline in white....the cake will not be served until Saturday....will bleeding be an issue if the lining touches the transfer?

Thanks in advance for any tips!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%