Fondant Dress For Doll/barbie/princess Cake

Decorating By sweetideas Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 12:38am by sweetideas

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 9

I am looking specifically for instructions for a frilly fondant dress for my first time doll cake. I found one basic instruction on youtube but looking for the way people do the layers of frills on the princess cakes. IE do you do the fondant ahead of time, and let it dry? Do you apply to the cake and use tissue to fluff until dry? Does the buttercream hold up the layers of fondant ruffles? Is there any tutorials for the bodice and sleeves?

Thanks for any help you send my way.

8 replies
jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 9

I'm not sure what you mean by frilly- layers and layers of frills? Do you have a photo or a specific request? In my pics there is a fondant skirt for a doll cake, its made a little differently than what you're expecting, but its super easy to do.

Otherwise, I would think you would have to measure around the dress every time, cut a strip of fondant, use your frilling tool and then attach the strip directly above the one below it. I would think the shorter you make each frill strip the farther it will stand out.

HTH

DH2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DH2008 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 9

I too just did my first doll cake 2 days ago! Loved it. So much fun. Not posted yet, actually I'm months behind on posting since I got a virus on my laptop. Trying to figure out a way to upload on my Ipad........not working so far. Anyway I did a kind of frilly dress on mine & cut fondant circles & then a hole in the middle large enough to go over the cake. I used my fingers under the fondant to make the frills. My fondant stuck just fine to the buttercream& I did not let it dry before putting it on. You could use tissues underneath if you need to. Hope this helps.

Msjckson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Msjckson Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 9

@Jentreu,

I love the dress on your Barbie cake. I'm doing a Barbie cake in 2 weeks. Could you please give me pointers on how to do this dress?

Thanks!

sweetideas Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:19am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for your responses. You all have such beautiful cakes! Unfortunately, the cakes I am speaking of are found on youtube by someone I think called mackandnorm. She has a cinderella cake and another one. I can't get the pictues because they are video and I don't know how to. But I meant the underskirts have several layers of ruffles, like a petticoat. I am thinking these would be strips layered on each other. The layers look so delicate that I think they must have maybe used a ball tool on the edges, but I really don't know. I have a lot of trouble searching CC for some reason I keep getting kicked out to a fastbrowser, so I appreciate your help.

candicemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candicemarie Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 5:10am
post #6 of 9

http://il.youtube.com/user/mackandnorm#p/a/u/1/RviGjBzWBRg

i think this is the dress shes talking about

candicemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candicemarie Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 5:41am
post #7 of 9

found this video i think it will help

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 9

This is the doll cake that I made a couple of weeks ago. If this is what you are after PM me and I will try to explain what I did.

Sheila

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1911898&done=1

sweetideas Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 12:38am
post #9 of 9

Thank you Candicemarie! That is exactly what I was looking for! Sheilabelle, your cake is fabulous! Thank you, I will PM you shortly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%