Name For A Bakery - This One's Different! I Swear! =)

Business By nmarie Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 3:32am by nmarie

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 6:38am
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarie

Hello all!

I am looking to start a bakery that specializes in two quite different areas:
* Custom cakes and cupcakes, and other "people" desserts.
* Organic and vegetarian dog treats and other retail like collars, clothes, and stuff for dog owners like dog-loving plaques for the home, etc.

I plan to run the whole show from my home kitchen. icon_biggrin.gif

Im trying to come up with two good names something like Divine Delights (which would be the main name) and Doggie Delights or something to that affect. Then I can have two websites - DivineDelights.com, where Id have the customer choose between going forward for people desserts, or go to the DoggieDelights.com site for dog stuff. Obviously both domain names would need to be available (the ones in this example aren't icon_cry.gif), and the main name would need to be non-restrictive, so it could apply to a dog-centered company and a people-centered company.

Oh, I live in Massachusetts if that helps.

Oh - and I'm not necessarily against having one name for both, I just couldn't think of any name that would sufficiently encompass both aspects of a business like that.

Id really appreciate any input Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

How about People Sweets and Doggie Treats.

I love that! It's very catchy.. People love spoiling their children and their dogs.. it's one stop shopping! Haha..

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 7:33am
post #32 of 44

I think your idea could work, and you could be very successful. But it is based on location. If you could get a storefront close to a park or somewhere pet friendly, people would love it. Many dog owners would love to sit down in a cafe with their pooches and have a cup of coffee and a cupcake as their dearly beloved snacked on a biscuit and fresh water. Good luck to you and think location!!!!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 10:24am
post #33 of 44

I am a dog fanatic, and a bakery owner. When I put the bakery magnet on my car, the dog magnets came off.

No one has addressed that manufacture of animal food products is usually licensed through the state separately. And if you accept money, you need to make sure you meet all requirements.

Check with the Dept of Ag, as pet foods usually need a nutritional label. My dad had a boutique animal feed business and it required a nutritional label. He had to get the nutritional label from Virginia Tech and approval and licencing from the state. If you are marketing to dogs, and you make one sick, that can be real trouble. My dad was an equine nutrition expert, and he still was involved in a lawsuit... he won, over a sick animal. Best to get state approval. Just reading a recipe safe for dogs does not let you off the hook when one gets sick. And dog lovers can be your worst enemy if their dog becomes ill. And heaven help you if you aren't properly licensed and a dog lover comes after you.

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 11:29am
post #34 of 44

Has anyone seen this site..?

http://www.k9cakery.com/

It's got mixes and supplies for baking dog treats. I didn't know there were so many things you could use to make cakes for dogs. I almost think you should go with that business if you can't do both. Something different.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:15pm
post #35 of 44

Just for your consideration: Money spent on wedding cakes in the US in 2006: $1.2 billion

Money spent on dog food in 2006: $39 billion

So even if you take out the food vs. treats (which I couldn't find a statistic for), it's still going to be a good market if you promote it right. There are more dogs than there are weddings, or little kids having birthdays if that's what you do.

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:58pm
post #36 of 44

People will spoil their pets and not think twice about the cost. I have a lady who does a birthday party for her dog, complete with favors, games with prizes (gift cards to petco, treets, etc.). I do the "people" cake that has her favorite latest picture of the dog on it and she drives 30 miles away to get the cake for the dog and all the doggie guests. I am in Mass. also and there is a lady who does homeshows with cat themed toys, home grown catnip, etc., and she does a great business from her home (which is on a dead end street in a little town) from people who need things for their cats year round. She attaches a business card to each purchase, so people have her home info and web site. We have a yearly craft fair in our town that runs for a weekend in Aug. and a dog treat place comes in from about 50 miles away every year for the craft fair - one of the busiest booths there.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 6:21pm
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Just for your consideration: Money spent on wedding cakes in the US in 2006: $1.2 billion

So even if you take out the food vs. treats (which I couldn't find a statistic for), it's still going to be a good market if you promote it right. There are more dogs than there are weddings, or little kids having birthdays if that's what you do.

The average dog-owning household spends $64 annually on dog treats (based on a 09-10 survey). 45.6M households owned a dog according to the same survey. That adds up to $2.9 billion annually for all treats. If upscale treats are (generously estimating) 20% of the market, that's $580 million.

http://www.americanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 6:33pm
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarie

[quote="Ruth0209 People Sweets and Doggie Treats! Why didn't I think of that?!?!?! What a good one! Thank you very much! It could be like "People Sweets and Doggie Treats... for dogs and their peeps!" Haha!

Now to decide if I should do them both together or separately... Errr! icon_biggrin.gif

Or,
People Sweets and Doggie Treats

...tasty eats for pups and their peeps!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 6:42pm
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Quote:

The average dog-owning household spends $64 annually on dog treats (based on a 09-10 survey). 45.6M households owned a dog according to the same survey. That adds up to $2.9 billion annually for all treats. If upscale treats are (generously estimating) 20% of the market, that's $580 million.

I'd take a piece of that market...

nmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmarie Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 9:20pm
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

I think your idea could work, and you could be very successful. But it is based on location. If you could get a storefront close to a park or somewhere pet friendly, people would love it. Many dog owners would love to sit down in a cafe with their pooches and have a cup of coffee and a cupcake as their dearly beloved snacked on a biscuit and fresh water. Good luck to you and think location!!!!!

I am going to try to do everything from home for now... Since I have a full-time job and I just bought a house (and my bills rely heavily on that job), so now isn't really the time to be taking a gamble and dropping everything to start a new business 100% (although I wish it was!)... I know it will take a while to build up a business, so I was thinking when it begins to flourish and I believe I can make a decent living off of it, I can drop the full-time gig I have now and possibly open up a store front. When that time comes, I'll definitely take your advice and find a pet-populated location! Great advice... Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I am a dog fanatic, and a bakery owner. When I put the bakery magnet on my car, the dog magnets came off.

No one has addressed that manufacture of animal food products is usually licensed through the state separately. And if you accept money, you need to make sure you meet all requirements.

Check with the Dept of Ag, as pet foods usually need a nutritional label. My dad had a boutique animal feed business and it required a nutritional label. He had to get the nutritional label from Virginia Tech and approval and licencing from the state. If you are marketing to dogs, and you make one sick, that can be real trouble. My dad was an equine nutrition expert, and he still was involved in a lawsuit... he won, over a sick animal. Best to get state approval. Just reading a recipe safe for dogs does not let you off the hook when one gets sick. And dog lovers can be your worst enemy if their dog becomes ill. And heaven help you if you aren't properly licensed and a dog lover comes after you.

I did do a bit of research but I cannot find restrictions on dog treats baked in a home kitchen. I did find quite a bit of information about restrictions on "people" treats baked in a home kitchen - which I figured would be stricter than the dog treats laws. Do you know of a specific website that would have the dog restrictions on it? I am going to get legal advice before I start anything, which I'm assuming would include forming an LLC, so I hopefully will avoid those legally scary situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyempress

Has anyone seen this site..?

http://www.k9cakery.com/

It's got mixes and supplies for baking dog treats. I didn't know there were so many things you could use to make cakes for dogs. I almost think you should go with that business if you can't do both. Something different.

That's a great site! Thanks for posting it! It seems like majority thinks that if I don't do both I should go for the dog bakery!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Quote:

I'd take a piece of that market...

Good point - there are sooo many dogs in this country - and so many people who love to spoil them! Thanks a lot for those statistics! $580 million! Wow, that's a great market - I definitely want to take a "bite" out of it icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfao

People will spoil their pets and not think twice about the cost. I have a lady who does a birthday party for her dog, complete with favors, games with prizes (gift cards to petco, treets, etc.). I do the "people" cake that has her favorite latest picture of the dog on it and she drives 30 miles away to get the cake for the dog and all the doggie guests. I am in Mass. also and there is a lady who does homeshows with cat themed toys, home grown catnip, etc., and she does a great business from her home (which is on a dead end street in a little town) from people who need things for their cats year round. She attaches a business card to each purchase, so people have her home info and web site. We have a yearly craft fair in our town that runs for a weekend in Aug. and a dog treat place comes in from about 50 miles away every year for the craft fair - one of the busiest booths there.

That sounds awesome! Great to know that there is a market for this in Massachusetts! I heard about a big craft fair in the Lakeville/Freetown area - is that the one you're talking about? Do you know where this dog treat place is? Hopefully not near me! Thanks for all the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Or,
People Sweets and Doggie Treats

...tasty eats for pups and their peeps!

That is the most adorable thing! I absolutely love it. Thanks for your input on that, I appreciate it a whole bunch!

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 9:32pm
post #41 of 44

I am in Templeton and it's the Templeton Craft Fair that runs every August. The doggie bakery people are over in the Worcester area I believe. The cat lady is in Ashburnham and she does the home show every year at the Fitchburg Marriott (was the Royal Plaza until last year).

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 9:38pm
post #42 of 44

I wouldn't have a problem purchasing a cake from someome who also makes dog treats. I make treats for my dogs. The ingredients come from the same grocery store & are "people" food.

I have a suggestion if you go the dog treat route - make "training size treats" very small little treats. I make them when I'm doing obedience training with my dogs. They taste good and are small enough that the dog doesn't forget what he's doing by the time he finishes eating it.

Best to you!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:19am
post #43 of 44

My father passed away, so I can't help you on how to check on where to get information for licensing for animal treats. I would start with your Dept of Agriculture. You could also contact any feed mill in your state (horse, farm animal feed), and they could steer you in the right direction. My husband's friend started Iams dog food with a partner in their garage years ago and he was licensed. If you notice, gourmet dog treats in some states require the same FDA nutrition analysis label that human food requires. And all retail dog treats and food have the nutritional label, so it is definitely regulated.

nmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmarie Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:32am
post #44 of 44

Sorry for the long delay everyone! I moved during Christmas - crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfao

I am in Templeton and it's the Templeton Craft Fair that runs every August. The doggie bakery people are over in the Worcester area I believe. The cat lady is in Ashburnham and she does the home show every year at the Fitchburg Marriott (was the Royal Plaza until last year).

Wow, very cool. Thanks a lot for all of that information. I'm going to check around for stuff in my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleDoodle

I wouldn't have a problem purchasing a cake from someome who also makes dog treats. I make treats for my dogs. The ingredients come from the same grocery store & are "people" food.

I have a suggestion if you go the dog treat route - make "training size treats" very small little treats. I make them when I'm doing obedience training with my dogs. They taste good and are small enough that the dog doesn't forget what he's doing by the time he finishes eating it.

Best to you!

Exactly! It seems like people hear dog treats and think of nasty smelling dog food and get turned off from "people" treats. I wonder if there are more people who feel like you or the opposite! I wish I could do like a random survey on the web =/

That's a great idea about the training size treats! Are you a dog trainer? I used to cut up hot dogs to train my dogs =) They went nuts for them! That's a great idea though - thank you for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

My father passed away, so I can't help you on how to check on where to get information for licensing for animal treats. I would start with your Dept of Agriculture. You could also contact any feed mill in your state (horse, farm animal feed), and they could steer you in the right direction. My husband's friend started Iams dog food with a partner in their garage years ago and he was licensed. If you notice, gourmet dog treats in some states require the same FDA nutrition analysis label that human food requires. And all retail dog treats and food have the nutritional label, so it is definitely regulated.

I'm sorry about your father =(

I'm going to have to do some research on the whole dog treat thing. I've done some searching online about it but I can't find much for Massachusetts. I've thought about calling the Board of Health, too, and asking them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%