Scratch Strawberry

Baking By baycheeks1 Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 9:49pm by baycheeks1

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 29

I need a Scratch Strawberry recipe, I have to make cupcakes with it. I'm looking for a good strawberry flavor that is moist...I have made strawberry cupcakes from different recipes and sometimes, most of the time, it's just not quite there...

You may be asking why scratch...I'm tryin to switch over to making scratch, tired of doctored cake mix, while it is good, it's just time for a change...

Does anyone know of any recipes?

Thanks...

28 replies
baycheeks1 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:36am
post #2 of 29

No one has a recipe they are willing to share?

baycheeks1 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 29

One more time...Anyone with a strawberry recipe from scratch...

...Come on...I know someone has one...

Baking4Fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking4Fun Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 29

I wish I knew of one too.....strawberry is my favorite! Anybody?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 29

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15348/summers-scratch-strawberry-cake

Made it a couple of days ago and made about 45 large cupcakes (UK size my be different to US), you may want to try halving it for your first attempt.

I loved the flavour and moistness. Was quite dense.

WelshCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WelshCakes Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15348/summers-scratch-strawberry-cake

Made it a couple of days ago and made about 45 large cupcakes (UK size my be different to US), you may want to try halving it for your first attempt.

I loved the flavour and moistness. Was quite dense.

I also just tried the Summer's Scratch Strawberry cake and loved it... I only got to taste the scraps from trimming but they were delicious!

Baking4Fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking4Fun Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 29

Thank you, sounds good to me!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 29

I haven't made them. The way it usually works with me is I get all my recipes about the same thing together, study them, see which one I think is better and then do that one.

Here's my list from my files (sorry there's so many):

http://mikes-table.themulligans.org/2008/05/10/very-strawberry-cupcakes/

http://www.pickycook.com/dessert/sprinklesstrawberrycupcakes.aspx

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/strawberry-cupcakes-with-strawberry-buttercream

http://goodthingscatered.blogspot.com/2008/02/angies-famous-strawberry-cupcakes.html

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/candace-nelson-strawberry-cupcakes

http://catesworldkitchen.com/2010/02/strawberry-cupcakes/

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Recipes/story?id=2036025

I have to say that Picky Cook's cupcakes look to me like at least the batter is pink with the strawberry color!

baycheeks1 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 29

Thank you very much...have an order for strawberry cupcakes this weekend and have been at a loss with the ones I've made. I just want them to taste strawberry-y and be good strawberry you know...

imagenthatnj Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 29

And here's another one I have to try. I had typed in there that I wanted to try it because I have always had good results with cakes that contain vegetable oil and buttermilk. They're tender and moist most of the time.

Strawberry Cake
2 cups Self rising Flour

3 eggs

1 cup Vegetable Oil

1 Cup Sugar

1 Pkg. Strawberry Jello

1/2 cup Buttermilk

1 1/4 cup of Strawberries , Pureed

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8 in round pans. Sift flour into a bowl , set aside in another bowl beat eggs then add oil, sugar, gelatin, and buttermilk. stir untill well blended. Add flour to the mixtureand blend. 
Drain 1/4 cup of juice from berries and save for icing. fold in berries. pour in pans and bake for 25 to 30 min, or till browned. Turn out on a rack to cool.

Icing
1/4 lb. butter, softened

1 pkg. (8oz) Cream cheese

1/4 cup berry Juice

1 1 lb box Powdered Sugar

Mix all until creamy and well blended.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 29

Also if you are using puréed strawberries or the juice from strawberries in your icing... I don't like the pips in the icing so I poured it through a pair of new tights I had cut at the knee (Panty Hose in US I think), sieves generally have too big holes to stop the pips.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:10pm
post #12 of 29

imagenthatnj...that last recipe you posted is one I want to try. I was using a scratch recipe that called for strawberry puree. It just didn't taste "strawberry" enough for me. It was moist but just had a generic "berry" taste to it. I added 1/2 a pkg of strawberry jello to it and it definitely boosted the flavor. I would love to try the one you posted because of the oil. The one I made was a little dry.

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:10pm
post #13 of 29

Mmm these sound delicious! I can't wait to try some of them!

imagenthatnj Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:17pm
post #14 of 29

I wish I had tried it in the middle of summer. Some people say that your strawberry cake will only be as good as the sweetness of your berries. We went strawberry-picking but I didn't have time to make this!

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:29pm
post #15 of 29

Perfect timing - my daughter picked a Strawberry Shortcake theme for her birthday so, of course, I have to make a strawberry cake! Can't wait to research all these recipes! Last year I tried the recipe from Sprinkle, which I found online somewhere but it was GROSS!!! icon_sad.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:38pm
post #16 of 29

I've heard that the Sprinkles recipe is bad. That is in my list above, though. She made it with Martha Stewart. I don't trust MS too much for recipes, so I was almost thinking that I shouldn't try that one. I've heard that MS recipes are not tested thoroughly and I have the suspicion that Sprinkles might not have given out the full recipe.

CambriasCakes, was the Sprinkles cake dry like people say it is?

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:25am
post #17 of 29

Oh, I didn't realize the Sprinkles recipe was in your list. I couldn't remember where I'd found it but now that you mention it, it was the MS website. Yes, it was SUPER dry and tasteless! icon_sad.gif I've never had a strawberry cupcake from their shop so I couldn't compare the two but I also think they may have left something out or given a different recipe altogether because they can't be selling many of THOSE!

Maria925 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:53am
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I wish I had tried it in the middle of summer. Some people say that your strawberry cake will only be as good as the sweetness of your berries. We went strawberry-picking but I didn't have time to make this!

I absolutely agree! I get angry buying strawberries in the store. They taste like NOTHING...probably because they are shipped from halfway around the world! I went strawberry picking in late spring and I had never tasted strawberries so delicious. The entire car smelled like strawberries the whole way home. It was amazing. I wish I would have made a cake from THOSE, but I didn't icon_sad.gif

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 3:32pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I've heard that the Sprinkles recipe is bad.

I made them last year for a party I threw, but I made them minis and once iced, I dipped them into bright pink sugar... if I hadn't done that, then there wouldn't have been enough icing to balance the dryness of the cupcake and they would have been very bland without the sugar. I agree that something was left out of the recipe. The boys liked them though, it was funny watching a bunch of grown men gravitate towards little pink cupcakes and eat them by the hand-full... but boys will eat anything, usually. icon_rolleyes.gif

I made this strawberry cake last week that I found on allrecipes.com: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/strawberry-cake-from-scratch/Detail.aspx

It was very pink, and very sweet... too sweet. I didn't like it so I didn't serve it. So my hunt continues...

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:11pm
post #20 of 29

i made this recipe over the weekend. it doesnt contain jello which was a plus for me.
it was pretty good - not overly sweet.
i paired it with one layer of strawberry filling and one layer of cream cheese filling.

http://www.jasonandshawnda.com/foodiebride/?p=1088

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:23pm
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKIA6

i made this recipe over the weekend. it doesnt contain jello which was a plus for me.
i paired it with one layer of strawberry filling and one layer of cream cheese filling.

I tried this one back in April for the first time. It has since become the only recipe I use for strawberry cake. It's moist, and the flavor is subtle but noticeable.

Maria925 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:24pm
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKIA6

This is the recipe that I tried a few times. It was not strawberry enough for me. I upped the puree to 1 cup and added 1/2 pkg of strawberry jello. I was trying hard to stay away from recipes that called for "Jello", but I just couldn't get it to taste "strawberry" enough. The flavor was too subtle for me. But again, it could be that my strawberries weren't very sweet to begin with. Frustrating...

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:02pm
post #23 of 29

was in the same boat a year ago... tested more than 10 different recipes and then more variations. I was desperate and finally got one that have everything in my humble opinion: flavor, natural color and texture and NO Jell-O or box. Will email you my tested recipe tonight.... sorry for not answering earlier... just saw the thread icon_sad.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:17pm
post #24 of 29

Whatever scratch white cake you already love + Hero Strawberry Compound

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:00pm
post #25 of 29

i needed to make a strawberry cake this summer and i wanted one from scratch and one that didn't rely on jello....i went with the "summer's strawberry cake" from the CC recipes that several people have already mentioned.

while it was moist, it didn't have as much strawberry flavor as i would have liked it to have. i felt i tasted flour more than i tasted strawberries (which was also somebody else's comment).

if i made it again, i would probably add some additional flavoring with compound or extract.

baycheeks1 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:03pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

What is Hero Strawberry compound?

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:04pm
post #27 of 29

The strawberry puree you find in the liquor department has a nice strawberry flavor. Our brand here is Finest Call. Saves all the blending of the strawberries too. Adding about 1/4 C of strawberry preserves helps too.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:12am
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by baycheeks1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

What is Hero Strawberry compound?

Hero is the brand that makes it. It's a thick syrup type flavoring that is made in Switzerland (but easy to find here online or with wholesalers) from the actual fruit. You use it same as you would an extract, but with sooo much better results. You easily add it to cakes, mousses, buttercreams, truffle fillings.... whatever!

baycheeks1 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:49pm
post #29 of 29

So this is what I end up doing...Using my vanilla scratch added maybe a 1/3 of a strawberry jello mix and some strawberries in a blender...added them in the mix...heard from the lady that ordered them...they were all gone! I think I was successful in making my strawberry cupcakes...

Thanks for the help...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%