What Size Mixer To Buy?

Decorating By NewtoConfections Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 6:05pm by NewtoConfections

NewtoConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewtoConfections Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:16am
post #1 of 6

CC Pals I need your help. I've recently embarked on the business of baking cakes and after many, nights of swollen wrists I've decided it's time to invest in a KitchenAid Mixer pronto! Can someone please tell me if a 4.5 qt is an ok size to buy or should I spend the extra and go up to the 5qt any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:40am
post #2 of 6

I would say buy as much a mixer as you can. Look for a sale. There's not a big difference from 4.5 qt to 5 qt though, so I'm not sure what the difference in price is.

I bought the Cuisinart 7 qt mixer and never looked back. I did a lot of research about Kitchen Aid and Cuisinart and liked the Cuisinart better, especially since it had a timer and it was more powerful. Kitchen Aid Artisan 5 qt has a 325 watt motor, while the Cuisinart 5 1/2 qt has a timer and a 800 watt motor. They're both the same price.

My 7 qt is 1000 watts. It's been 3 years and never had a problem with it. I bought the 5 1/2 as a gift for my sister.

Whatever you buy, maybe you can get a good sale? I got a coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond for 20% off one item and that's where I used it.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/search/search.aspx/mixer/?sstr=mixer&dim=1&nty=1&

And yes, you should have a stand mixer if you make cakes. I don't know how people do it any other way. Good luck with your baking business!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 2:00am
post #3 of 6

I concur. I started with the KA 4 quart, and was sorry I didn't start with the 6 qt right from the start.

If you live in the US, get on the Amazon.com mailing list. When they have a sale on the KA refurbished mixers, you can save a lot of money, sometimes up to half the retail price.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 2:10am
post #4 of 6

I started with the Kitchenaid 6qt and have loved it. Although, I must admit I fantasize about buying the Cuisinart 7qt...lol

asaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asaye Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 2:35am
post #5 of 6

I finally invested in a KA 6 quart and I love it!

NewtoConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewtoConfections Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 6

Just wanted to follow up and let you know I went ahead and ordered the 5qt they were on sale. My cousin said she'll buy it from me when it's time to upgrade to the 6qt. It will be here by the weekend and boy I can't wait!!! I'm going to try out the MMF recipe! Thanks againicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%