Cake Design Software?

Decorating By chefjared Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 12:03am by weirkd

chefjared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjared Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #1 of 13

Hi

has anybody tried any cake design software, i can decorate a cake but I have a terrible time drawing them for brides to see on the contract. I know there are cake design software programs out there and I was wondering if anyone has one, if you like it, if it is easy to use and would you suggest someone else buying it? thank you

12 replies
shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 13

I don't have any software but I Made some templates to design cakes on in word using auto shapes. It worked pretty good for me.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 13

if you go to the sketches, patterns & templates gallery, lots of blank cake shapes to print out and use.

the ones I made were done in MS Publisher using the "Basic Shapes" set of symbols.

dettdunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dettdunn Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 13

I use Wedding Cake Design Pro ... advertised on CC ... and really like it.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 13

You can go on to Youtube.com and search for wedding cake design pro. Someone was actually kind enough to do a video based on how easy it is to use the program! It looks awesome and it's on my wishlist.

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 13

I recently used the template for the paisley pan here on CC. The bride only gave me some basic ideas of what she wanted to see, but since I had that sold, proportionate template to start off with, I was able to add basic flowers, curlicues, pearls, etc. so she could get a good idea of what I was thinking. She loved the concept, and I just KNOW it was because she was looking at a proportionate cake drawing. I am going to use those templates for all my drawings from now on, since I don't have a laptop to bring to client meetings...

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 13

I have Wedding Cake Design Pro. I had a horrible time with it on my other computer. I basically had to install it every time I wanted to use it. Then it would glitch and freeze and I really disliked it.
I got a new computer however, and it seems to work ok now. I dont know what it was about the old computer since it really wasnt an old model or anything but something conflicted with it. I know a lot of people had problems with it also glitching. But I think they have since worked on the bugs on it. Its pretty basic for software, but its ok. It really needs to have ability to do more with it. Like some of the new cake shapes arent on there and some of the designs its hard to recreate on the screen. The other thing I dislike is the colors. You get one shade of red. Most of my brides understand when I tell them that its roughly what the cake will look like and not to go by the exact colors. But I really think they need to step it up a notch. The program is very basic. Like something you would of seen like ten years ago as far as software. If they teamed up with a Gamer, they might be able to come up with something awesome!

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:00am
post #8 of 13

just curious what kind of computer did you have when it glitched? I have a dell that we bought maybe 5 years ago and was thinking about getting this program. I saw on the website that they expanded the colors it does seem weird that you cannot make the color whatever you want that is very retro-ish to have limited presets that are not adjustable. Also was wondering if you can do a cake with center column construction or different height columns or if that is limited as well?? It looks interesting and would get away from this "will you draw me a sketch deal". Don't get me wrong I can draw but these clients are not paying me enough to do a beautiful detailed sketch. That is time consuming.

weirkd Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:01pm
post #9 of 13

It was on a Toshiba laptop. I have a newer laptop now and the glitches are gone. I have no problem loading the software on it now. But as far as the software goes, it still does not allow anything new to the cakeworld. You have basic shapes like square, round, petal that are preset. You can change the height of them only. It has a section where you can add pillars but their the old fashioned ones. You cannot do a center column construction or anything that is sculpted on it. Your colors are preset so there is no customization on that either. Also with the flowers and designs. Those are also all preset. So lets say you want to do a diamond pattern on a round tier. Well the only way to do it is by picking a single diamond and literally cut and pasting it to where you want it. It ends up not looking right in the end. There is a cloning button but again you have to know exactly how many of them to clone and in the end you might have it off. So its not anything that wouldnt be easier just to draw the thing out to begin with.
There is also no way to decorate the cake drum its on so lets say you want to have something stamped in the fondant, you cannot show this on there.
So yes, very retro software. Sure that teens in high school could easily make a class project that is much better. (One of my sons classes had him write a computer game program and it literally blew this software out of the water with its techinical aspects and graphics! He should of made this his project and we would be millionares right now!! lol).
So basics its good. Technically not so good. Ive actually seen sites that allow you to play with designing your cake and its basically the same thing. (I think it was on Bronwen's site. I think WE or TLC also has one too).

Katiebelle74 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you for the info. that is very helpful. So if you had it to do over would you buy it again? do you end up using it very much?

weirkd Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 9:50pm
post #11 of 13

I probably wouldnt. I use it a little bit but not too much. Not too many of my cakes have simple designs on it to use it!! I think Ive used it for two cakes this wedding season only. It would be different if you could do more with it!

Katiebelle74 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 10:08pm
post #12 of 13

thank you I think you just saved me some cash!

weirkd Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:03am
post #13 of 13

No problem. Glad to help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%