New Wilton Ultimate Cake Leveller (Foldable)

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 5:23pm by Monirr04

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone bought and tried this yet, and what did you think? I know the old large Wilton leveller gets bad reviews - is this one any better? As much as I'd love an Agbay, it's too expensive, so I was wondering if this may be an OK alternative.

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 7

It's been discussed on here. Generally a thumbs down.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 7

I have the old large one and hate it. I can't imagine that making it foldable would improve it's stability during use in anyway....only make it smaller for storage.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 7

I couldn't find that old thread, but try this: (from an old thread)

IMO, the Agbay is the ONLY leveler that's worth any money, at all, period, end of story. Save your money and don't buy the Wilton crap, for sure.

Alternate method for leveling and torting.

Use a long serrated knife, laid flat along the top of the pans as a guide and cut. This should make your cakes 2" tall (unless you're using W pans which frequently ar eNOT 2" tall).

next, remove the cake from the pan.

Next add 1" of cake cardboards into the pan, and replace the cake.

Repeat step one.

NOTE: if your pan is not 2" tall, then adjust the height measurement accordingly so that you have 2 layers the same height at the end of the process.

Finally, save those $$ for the Agbay. Ask your family and friends to contribute any birthday and holiday $ to your Agbay fund. Yeah, it's that good.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I couldn't find that old thread, but try this: (from an old thread)

IMO, the Agbay is the ONLY leveler that's worth any money, at all, period, end of story. Save your money and don't buy the Wilton crap, for sure.

Alternate method for leveling and torting.

Use a long serrated knife, laid flat along the top of the pans as a guide and cut. This should make your cakes 2" tall (unless you're using W pans which frequently ar eNOT 2" tall).

next, remove the cake from the pan.

Next add 1" of cake cardboards into the pan, and replace the cake.

Repeat step one.

NOTE: if your pan is not 2" tall, then adjust the height measurement accordingly so that you have 2 layers the same height at the end of the process.

Finally, save those $$ for the Agbay. Ask your family and friends to contribute any birthday and holiday $ to your Agbay fund. Yeah, it's that good.

I know agbay is good, but I have no storage for it (I only have a small galley kitchen and my cake stuff has already spilled over into virtually every room in the house!) and shipping & customs charges would make it double the price for me. Oh well, I'll just keep plodding along with my little 12in German wire leveller.

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 7

I had that, I returned it because the blade is wobbly and did not cut strait. I hate it thumbsdown.gif
I have the small one from witon and it's good.

Monirr04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monirr04 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 7

I bought the new Wilton folding leveler and it is horrible. There isnt enough tension for the blade so it takes the path of least resistance and makes a very uneven cut. I tried different types of cakes (for consistency), different temps on the cakes and all the other tricks Wilton's customer service said to do (apparently they have had lots of complaints) but still get the same results. I have to have my son hold the cake while i press down on the side of the blade to keep it steady.

I contacted Wilton again via email and they are letting me ship it back to them and will be issueing me a refund check for it since it is too late to return it to the store.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%