Fondant Barn Animals

Decorating By laurajo1970 Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 10:02pm by soph917

laurajo1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurajo1970 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:55am
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if I could get some help please.. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can make fondant farm animals Im just starting out and I'm not sure how to make them.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Im making a farm scene cake for my mom and dads retirement from farming party.... please help.. tyvm icon_cry.gif

4 replies
soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 8:13am
post #2 of 5

I did a barn yard cake for my nephew's first birthday, and found some very helpful tutorials on youtube. Search for aine2. She has a tutorial for making a fondant sheep, which I used as the base for all of my animals. Sheep, pig, horse, etc. I also made a duck and several little chicks, which were actually very easy to do.
Ok, did a quick search myself-

beckalou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckalou Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 5

My first project with characters on a cake was with fondant and I found, quickly, that straight fondant does not hold up well! It will droop. Use gumpaste with your creations or at least mix tylose powder with your fondant. Lots of info on youtube and they all use tylose with their fondant too!

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 5

You can check my one! Easy and fun to make.This was my first farm cake.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1684855
If you need anyhelp let me know!

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 5

Oh yes, great point about the Tylose. You will definitely need Tylose or Gum-Tex to add to your fondant for your figures to hold their shape. Fondant just won't dry hard enough, it will droop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%