Need Recipes For Tasty Non-Perishable Fillings For Cakes!!

Decorating By SweetieVie Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm by CrumblesConfections

SweetieVie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetieVie Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 29

In order to sell cakes from my home, I have to give up some of my most favorite cake fillings (they must be Non-hazardous food, NO mousses, custards, etc.). I am very sad about that, but still want to be able to have this super-fun business. I am BEGGING anyone out there that has a good recipe that they'd be willing to share for cake fillings that would be NON-PERISHABLE to PLEASE send them my way!! I really want my cakes to taste good, but am not a fan of buttercream as the filling.

Thanks!!

28 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:06am
post #2 of 29

I make a shelf stable mousse filling that can sit at room temp for up to 5 days.

I take a package of instant pudding mix, add enough hot water to make it the consistency of paste--set aside. Whip Bettercreme to the soft peaks consitency. Add some of that into the paste till smooth and then add that to the rest of the whipped Bettercreme. The resulting mock mousse is great.

I purchase my Bettercreme at GFS.

HTH
Rae

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:25am
post #3 of 29

What are these two things? I am assuming the Bettercreme is a food product and the GFS is a store or business, but can you give a few more details? Thank you so much.

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:27am
post #4 of 29

I also used Bettercream today for a lemon mousse filling for a wedding cake. I whipped the bettercream & then added H&H lemon filling. You can use any of H&H fillings as they are shelf stable and can be kept fresh in the refrigerator after opening. DO not freeze.

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:31am
post #5 of 29

Nutella is another good one. Just used it this week in a cake, and it is delicious.

Iggy Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:50am
post #6 of 29

Bettercream is a non dairy whipping product that's made by Rich Products here where I live. It comes in prewhipped bags, quart & half gallon containers. I think maybe gallons too. GFS I think is a bakery/restaurant supplier. H&H is Henry & Henry fruit fillings. They also make bavarian cream etc. Also here in my backyard. I'm so lucky!!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 29

Iggy: Thank you so much. I appreciate it. Also for clarifying the H & H. You are a blessing.

Iggy Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 29

Awww....your're so sweet! Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 29

I buy the sleeve fillings from my bakery supply store. They are shelf stable and super yummy. I buy the strawberry, raspberry, lemon, vanilla custard, chocolate pudding/fudge, and key lime pie. These fillings come in handy because they taste good and do not have to be refigerated.

Iggy Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 29

You're right. They don't have to be refrigerated as long as they are unopened. Once you open them, they must be. I fold down the top and seal it well and put it inside a quart size freezer bag and then into a gallon freezer bag and put in the fridge. It keeps almost forever! Personally, I don't care for the bavarian creeam or the chocolate cream. But, to each her own. icon_wink.gif

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:36pm
post #11 of 29

What section of the grocery is the Bettercream found in?

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:43pm
post #12 of 29

Canned fruit pie fillings work well also. There is enough sugar in the product to preserve it. You can use as is or fold it into buttercream.

Iggy Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:49pm
post #13 of 29

allycook, Bettercream is not sold in grocery stores but mostly in restaurant/cake supply cash 'n carry outlets. If you have a cake supplier in your area, you could ask them if they stock it or order it for you.

SweetieVie Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:01am
post #14 of 29

Thanks so much! You've given me lots of ideas. I am wondering if anyone knows where bettercream can be purchased online, or the fillings in the sleeves, can they be purchased online? (I live a ways away from places that carry those things) I have looked and haven't had much luck yet, but there is so much out there. Thanks So much!!

Iggy Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:22am
post #15 of 29

Rich Products makes Bettercream. Henry & Henry makes the sleeved fillings. You can google each one. I know Bakemark sells both. hth

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:37am
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy

You're right. They don't have to be refrigerated as long as they are unopened. Once you open them, they must be. I fold down the top and seal it well and put it inside a quart size freezer bag and then into a gallon freezer bag and put in the fridge. It keeps almost forever! Personally, I don't care for the bavarian creeam or the chocolate cream. But, to each her own. icon_wink.gif

You store the opened sleeves in the fridge once opened, but it is my understanding that the cakes do not need to be refrigerated as they are considered non-perishable fillings. Is that correct?

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:38am
post #17 of 29
Quote:

I didn't like the Bavarian either, so I was cautious about trying the other flavors. Glad to hear that the others are good. So, the cake does NOT need to be refrigerated with it as a filling, but the package needs to be once opened? I'm as curious about this subject as the OP. icon_smile.gif

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:39am
post #18 of 29

I guess great minds think alike. icon_biggrin.gif

Iggy Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:04am
post #19 of 29

No, the cakes don't have to be refridgerated once made. Sometimes I put the fruit filling on a layer, then cover it with buttercream...yum...then the next layer.

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:23am
post #20 of 29

Does anyone use the non-perishable Wilton's whipped frosting mix to make their mousses? Just wondering.

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:26am
post #21 of 29

Another non-perishable filling that is very yummy is this Oreo-style filling.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5773/oreo-filling

Super tasty!

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:01am
post #22 of 29

I don't have a cake outlet/supplier near me either. We don't have access to Rich's or H&H.

Blakescakes, do you think your mock mousse would work if I mix up a packet of Dream Whip then fold into the pudding/water mixture?

I use a product called Dulce de Leche to fill my chocolate cakes. It's awesome! I found it in the mexican section at Walmart. It's the same thing as when you boil a can of sweetened condensed milk until it's caramel. Only you don't have the work of it. It also says to refrigerate after opening, but I chill the opened can, and not the cakes. They taste fine setting out several days after making them. (IF they last that long.)

Limepip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limepip Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:59pm
post #23 of 29

Sugarcraft.com sell both Bettercream and Henry & Henry fillings. Go to their "Food Items" menu and you'll find everything!

alisapoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisapoly Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:06pm
post #24 of 29

You can also purchase Bettercreme at Smart N Final or Sam's Club if you have that in your area.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #25 of 29

I am curious about the Dream whip and pudding question, too.

If I don't want to purchase Bettercreme, is Dream whip a good substitute in a room temp stable mock mousse? Anyone tried this with yummy success? icon_smile.gif

SweetieVie Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:03pm
post #26 of 29

We have sam's club! Do you buy it in their bakery department or is it on a shelf in the baking isle?

alisapoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisapoly Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:01pm
post #27 of 29

It will be in the refrigerated section at SAMs club. It's sold frozen, so in that area of the store.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:18pm
post #28 of 29

The form of Bettercreme that Sam's carries varies on location. My local stores only sell it already whipped in extremely large buckets from the bakery counter.

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:

Bite your tongue! Bavarian cream is THE best! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%