Covering A Cake With Fondant With No Wrinkles

Decorating By katibeth88 Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 12:05am by hollys_hobby

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 8

I've done quite a few cakes now with fondant. However, I still come across the same problem. I lift up the fondant a little at a time and smooth it back onto the cake but I always come to a wrinkle as I work around the entire cake (always round cakes).

Luckily I've always been able to cover them up with a fondant ribbon or flowers or some other kind of border around the bottom of the cake. But is there a specific method that would prevent the wrinkles alltogether?

7 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 8

u just have to keep fluffing and lifting that tablecloth of fondnat and be patient and all the pleats will work out before u push them onto the cake. HTH

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 8

There are also many videos on youtube that will let you see how it's done. Here are just a couple.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 8

Don't know if you do this already but elevate your cake up about 2-4 inches. I usually use an upside down cake pan one size smaller than the cake. This allows the fondant to drape down past the cake and trimming/smoothing is an easier thing to do.

Cat

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 12:03am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by katibeth88

I've done quite a few cakes now with fondant. However, I still come across the same problem. I lift up the fondant a little at a time and smooth it back onto the cake but I always come to a wrinkle as I work around the entire cake (always round cakes).

Luckily I've always been able to cover them up with a fondant ribbon or flowers or some other kind of border around the bottom of the cake. But is there a specific method that would prevent the wrinkles alltogether?

I have the same problem! When I get to the very end...there's always that one BIG wrinkle! And seems no where for it to go!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 12:03am
post #6 of 8

Cat beat me to it...elevate the cake. It will make a huge difference I guarantee.

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 12:05am
post #7 of 8

ahhhhh ok sweet! thank yall! i hadn't been elevating them but i will now!!

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 12:05am
post #8 of 8

I found that rolling the fondant out bigger helps me get all pleats out. Instead of just rolling enough, or a little bigger than needed, I tend to roll quite a bit bigger, and it is super easy to smooth with no wrinkles. Also, just like Sharon said, keep going around and lifting, smoothing, lifting, smoothing, and work your way down the cake as you go around, don't smooth all the way down in each section at once, does that make sense? HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%