How Do You (Personally) Stack A Cake? (Long)

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 5 Aug 2013 , 4:28am by janbutterfield

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:54pm
post #61 of 76

candoo, when you said you didn't put dowels in the bottom tier, do you mean you just set, for example, the 6" on top of the 8" and the 8" had no dowels? icon_surprised.gif

THe dowel size I use is about as big around as a pencil.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:19pm
post #62 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebelle74

I use wood dowels/ wilton hollow plastic dowels on the bday cakes but I have not found the perfect thing to cut the wilton hollow plastic dowels with.... what does everyone else use to cut those?

I have a PVC cutter that I use to cut the plastic dowels.

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:33pm
post #63 of 76

The 2 cakes were 10/8/6. I put 4-5 wooden dowels/skewers in the 10". They are large shrimp skewers- not quite as large as a pencil. I then stack the 8 and put 4 in it. Then I stack the 6 and put 3 going down through it all. I think maybe they are too small? Idk! And advice is appreciated, b/c I know I should be able to travel 30-60 miles with a 3 tiered cake!

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:36pm
post #64 of 76

and yes, ma'am, the 1st ones I did had no dowels!! Other than the ones going all the way through all 3 tiers. icon_redface.gif But none of those ever fell!!! And some had slight bulges, but none were bad (and I'm very much a perfectionist!) Is there any hope for me, indy?

tharris1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tharris1977 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:10am
post #65 of 76

This post is so helpful - I'm relatively new at wedding cakes - and have my largest this weekend. 4 tier stacked 6/8/12/14. Was wanting some opinions on how many dowels and which kind to use for each tier. Right now I'm planning to use the white plastic wilton straws in the larger tiers and smaller straws in the smaller tiers, and then one wooden dowel down the middle of the whole thing.

Will have to transport about 30 minutes - during a HOT summer day - if that makes a difference in the advice! Thanks!!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #66 of 76

Well it went much better this time. Thanks indy for all your help. Your way of stacking seems so simple and intuitive and yet I just wasn't doing it quite right. I defintely stacked them better this time and could get away with a small pearl border without showing any damage. And I didn't even refrigerate the cakes before I stacked them. My only concern this time was that the cake was top heavy because they bottom half of the bottom tier was a dummy but it made it to its destination in one piece. Here it is:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1715166

Thanks again indy, and everyone else. I really appreciate your input.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:45am
post #67 of 76

I am glad to see this. The last couple of weddings I have done have been cupcakes-so I am out of practice with stacking!

sweethands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweethands Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:14am
post #68 of 76

Thanks for the helpful hints in stacking the pics were great...now one more question re: the dowels, I've used wood and the plastic hollow ones...my problem is I can't get them all cut exactly the same lenght, I usually use a serrated knife. What the magic tool???

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:56am
post #69 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethands

Thanks for the helpful hints in stacking the pics were great...now one more question re: the dowels, I've used wood and the plastic hollow ones...my problem is I can't get them all cut exactly the same lenght, I usually use a serrated knife. What the magic tool???

See my post on page 3 of this thread about using dog nail clippers. I also kept some sandpaper available to smooth down the tops/bottoms and it was good for removing that irritating 1/8" of bad measuring that happens once in awhile!

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:47pm
post #70 of 76

All these tips are great! Just asked this question recently and someone linked to this. Great info. I'm on the hunt for a large spatula!!

sweethands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweethands Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:35am
post #71 of 76

Thanks for the advice on my way to the Pet Emporium thumbs_up.gif

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 7:08pm
post #72 of 76

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO!

Pearl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl123 Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 10:36am
post #73 of 76

Great tips everyone! Thank you all. I also need to do a tiered cake today and if anyone can help me that would be most appreciated.... question is: Will this work with Swiss Meringue buttercream? Putting it in the freezer for 10 mins and out again etc?
I heard that the condensation can affect the swiss meringue?

TIA!

eatmyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatmyart Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 4:14pm
post #74 of 76

It is so awesome being a member of Cake Central. There is so much helpful information. And Indydebi you are so awesome. Your advice has helped me soooooo many times. Thanks to everyone here on Cake Central that give your help and advice. We newbies appreciate you.

Jackie80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie80 Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 11:52pm
post #75 of 76

A

Original message sent by carmijok

I too always put the center dowel in first and then stack...it always worked great until I did a 3-tier bridal shower cake. I was sliding the top tier on through the pre-made center hole and suddenly it stopped midway on the dowel. Now this was cold icing so I pushed down on the top to lower it but it would only go so far...not all the way down. I pushed down and pushed down not knowing that I was creating pressure on the second tier (apparently the board was thicker than it should have been so it was down as far as it would go). I stopped pushing to check and saw that my second tier was all bowed out and cracked. I had to take the top tier off (which thankfully was not injured) and totally re-bake, ice and stack the 2nd tier. I redid the top tier board...made a much bigger hole in it and still had to push down more than I wanted to. And now I think it was because my cake was cold. AAAAGGGHHH. Never had that problem before..but then I haven't done many 3-tier cakes! Live and learn! [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon_cry.gif[/IMG]

I had this problem for a wedding tho' I couldn't get the top tier on the dowel as tho the precut hole I'd made in the cake board was too small. Not sure what happened as I made the holes fairly larger than the dowel for this reason. A member from the wait staff came to help me and at this point my hands were shaking and I was nervous I would drop the cake. I ended up getting it on but have vowed since I wouldn't do that again! Now I stack my cakes using the spatula and parchment paper in between, if I don't use parchment I grab a cake board as a guide and mark where I want to place the cake. After I stack the tiers I then use the longer dowel and hammer it through the center for support then cover the hole with buttercream on the top tier.

janbutterfield Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbutterfield Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 4:28am
post #76 of 76

On the same subject, I have trouble when I put may tiers in the 'fridge.  As they start to warm up, the BC sweats.  How does everyone handle this?

I've thought about wrapping each tier with a loose layer of cling wrap but I'm afraid it will mess up the design when I take it off.  Also thought of boxing the tiers before putting in the 'fridge.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%