Are Cakes Ups Friendly??!!!

Decorating By sugarlovemom Updated 5 May 2010 , 6:40pm by Kima920

sugarlovemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlovemom Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 20

Good Afternoon Amazing People!!! i got this one: my best friend wants me to make a cake for her husband Birthday... nothing wrong with that... the problem: i'm in Texas, she is in Florida!!! does anybody had ever shipped a cake??? how? did it make it? she is a very good friend and i would love to do this for her

19 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 20

If its a bundt style cake in a metal tin,you're good. Other than that, you'd have to use the counter to counter service. It would be cheaper to just ship gold.

sugarlovemom Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 20

thanks leah but i dont think i got that..... she wants a $ themed cake....

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 20

counter to counter service then.

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 20

Hi, few months ago my friends'son ask me to do a cake for his girlfriend, but he was in florida and she in spain icon_eek.gif i told him tha icon_eek.gif i was sure that he cake will arrive safe, but he want to do it, finally it was 6" ponque recipe with brandy and fondant, he freeze the cake and sended via regular mail, the thing is the cake was fine when got there to Spain, and this one was the cake
LL

Djor Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 20

Im sorry I mean I wasn't sure that the cake will arrive fine and safe. icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 20

I know one person that made a cake, covered in thick fondant with lots of fondant decor (in other words, very thick and stable) let it air dry just a little. She packed it in a box in pretty much custom fitted foam, marked it on every square inch of the box that it was incredibly fragile, then shipped it UPS. It arrived, but was a little roughed up. P.S. it will cost a lot of $.

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 20

I ship cakes. I don't use UPS though. I use FedEx and haven't had a problem yet. I only ship fondant cakes and have shipped 2 tiered cakes as well. I freeze them before I ship them and packed them very well. I tell them its cake it only goes overnight.

sugarlovemom Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:15am
post #9 of 20

thanks a lot!!! ill give it a try... i told her shipping would be very expensive.. but money is not an issue for her... i'll let you guys know how it went!!

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:16am
post #10 of 20

Kima920, what do you mean by "packed very well"?[/u]

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:05am
post #11 of 20

I wouldn't use UPS for sure. I ordered some gumpaste sea shells not too long ago. package arrived with fragile stamped all over it, the corner of the box crushed, opened and re-taped.... Yeah, I wasn't happy at all. Half the shells were broke, couldn't imagine if it was a cake!

Kima920 Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:13pm
post #12 of 20

Yeah I would never use UPS. What I mean by packed well is that. I freeze the cake at least a day. The take if out wrap up in plastic wrap. Then place that in a cake box and then wrap it up with more bubble wrap inside the box. The I place the cake box into a shipping pretty close to the size of the cake box. I put it in the middle of the box and then I use more bubble wrap and packing peanuts to get the cake box in there as tight as possible to reduce movement. I use this method all the time even with frosted cupcakes and have had no problems or complaints.

Melvira Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:44pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kima920

Yeah I would never use UPS. What I mean by packed well is that. I freeze the cake at least a day. The take if out wrap up in plastic wrap. Then place that in a cake box and then wrap it up with more bubble wrap inside the box. The I place the cake box into a shipping pretty close to the size of the cake box. I put it in the middle of the box and then I use more bubble wrap and packing peanuts to get the cake box in there as tight as possible to reduce movement. I use this method all the time even with frosted cupcakes and have had no problems or complaints.

You've been able to mail CUPCAKES?? You might be my new HERO!! icon_redface.gif I have someone who has been WHINING for my cupcakes and I said he'd just have to fly over and get them!

Kima920 Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:57pm
post #14 of 20

LOL. I have. I have some customers from NJ and I am in PA. I used to live in NJ so I get orders from friends every now and then. I shipped out lots of cupcakes during Valentine's. I do almost the same thing. I freeze them and then put them in the plastic 6 pack container with a low top so they don't move much. I also put little pieces of bubble wrap on top of the cupcakes to help seal in the frozen cupcake and prevent movement inside the container. Then I do what I do to the cakes. The key for me has always been to drop off right before the shipping store closes because then everything is on its way out the door to the bigger warehouse. That way I know nothing is sitting. I also plaster the box with fragile and this side up. I only use FedEx and tell them to put on the label what is exactly in the box.

Djor Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:58pm
post #15 of 20

From my experience I would say everything could happend but nothing is impossible, and my cake arrive perfecly safe like kimma cupcakes. thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:16pm
post #16 of 20

Kima, those are EXCELLENT tips! Thank you so much for sharing. Do you cover the cupcakes in fondant as well? I think something soft like a bettercreme swirl wouldn't freeze solid and would be smooshed beyond recognition!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:25pm
post #17 of 20

I have shipped 3 cakes so far, all covered in fondant.

2 of them I have photos AFTER delivery!

I have also mailed cupcakes w/ success.........just like stated above (only I didn't freeze them), just popped them into a 6 pack plastic container (I stick a glue dot in the bottom which holds the cupcake securely to the bottom of the container..........if they're flipped over for a minute they're fine so far no problems)

The first cake (squirrel cake) was shipped using UPS and sent from Ohio to South Carolina, regular 3-5 day shipping! cost about $12 to ship

The second cake (daisy garden) was shipped using DHL and sent from NJ to Ohio, regular 3-5 day shipping, cost about $10 to ship

The 3rd one (green and black whimsical) was shipped using regular Post Office, regular 3-7 day shipping, cost about $8 to ship.

All 3 cakes were packaged by wrapping a collar of wax paper around the outside of the cake, and secure with a piece of tape, a circle of wax paper on the top, and a cake board on the top (except for the daisy one, it just had wax paper on top so the daisies didn't get smooshed)

Then I padded all around the cake, inside the cake box w/ paper towels making sure the cake didn't move around, top and sides of cake, then close lid and tape shut.

Then the bakery box w/ cake was put into a larger box allowing about 4" of room all around the box, on top, sides, and bottom.....all the dead space was filled with packaging peanuts. Once I close the box I give it a shake and flip it upside down briefly to ensure the cake doesn't jossle around, there should be VERY little to NO movement inside the box!! That is how cakes get destroyed!
LL
LL
LL

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #18 of 20

Ha ha I think the question should be is UPS CAKE friendly...LOL! I have had good and bad experienced with shipping cakes. UPS and FEDEX are super expensive. If the customer is willing to pay that then yes I will ship via UPS or FEDEX. You really have to make sure the cake is frozen, on dry ice or the frozen gel packs. No room for movement on the cake and packed extremely well.

This last shipment I had to VA (I do a cake of the month club and I have one out of state customer) never arrived. I always put on the box Fragile, Cake inside handle with care, etc. I also always send with insurance and with delivery confirmation. Due to time restraints I dropped it off at a private mail facility you know like the UPS store but privately owned. At any rate I had all the stickers and postage on it and he said no problem, the postman hasn't been by there and he would pass it on to him. Well the package didn't seem to even make it into the system because when I put in the number for the delivery confirmation I get that the number is not in their system AND to make matters worse the insurance number also gives back an error message that it isn't in their system...Me thinks someone decided to open and eat it...LOL! So the replacement cake went out yesterday and I left off the fact that there was cake inside, AND I took it directly to the PO and watched them scan in the delivery and insurance codes. Not trusting a drop and run ever again!

Kima920 Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #19 of 20

I think people fall short in the packing of their products. The better you pack them less damage.

Kima920 Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:40pm
post #20 of 20

Cakesdivine, that sounds like someone ate your cake to me too... I go to the same place so I have a good relationship with them and for me that is key. They know what I ship so they always take care. I have never had to pay more than $20 to ship something so if you are paying alot you might want to find another place. I use a third party postal place that uses UPS, FedEx and USPS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%