Recipe Adjustments For High Altitude!

Baking By DeeDee1520 Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 5:10am by DeeDee1520

DeeDee1520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDee1520 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 1:00am
post #1 of 5

I started all my cake baking and decorating about a year ago when I lived in Central Texas. I have relocated to the Mile High City of Denver, Colorado and my baking is not the same! How should I adjust the cake recipes that I use such as the WASC to bake properly at this atltitude? Should I make any alterations to buttercream and/or cookie recipes, too? I would appreciate all input and suggestions from CC's! I have learned so much from all of you out there! Thanks!!!!!

4 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 1:48am
post #3 of 5

Baking at high altitude is certainly an adventure. Here is a link (I hope it works) to a really helpful resource.

http://www.handmadeinhighplaces.com

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 1:58am
post #4 of 5

Oops, I didn't pay attention to your whole post. Sorry!

You don't need to make any adjustments to buttercream or other icings, but candy making is a whole other thing! I could bore you with my fudge making trials this past holiday season, but I won't icon_smile.gif .

Definitely adjust your cookie recipes in addition to your cakes. I'm sure the links provided by 7yyrt above have this info but at the most basic level, you need to reduce leavening by about 1/4 tsp for each tsp called for, reduce sugar by 2 tbs per cup and increase liquid by about 2 tbs per cup. Some recipes simply don't convert, or are much more complicated to convert.

DeeDee1520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDee1520 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 5:10am
post #5 of 5

I really appreciate your replies! The informations and links were just what I needed! Have a great week!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%